RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Rider Forums!

Nick here from Philly!

I've been on the hunt for a solid daily rider/commuter (Philly to Wilmington-ish aka about 70 miles a day) and I found a 2006 Z750S in my budget. I just wanted to kick this thread off and see if I could get some insight from the folks who already ride these bikes!

The specs:
2006 - Black
11k miles
EFI is a HUUUUGE plus for me since carbs are the bain of my existence
Slight damage to the left side (dent in the tank, some banged up blinkers and a mirror)
Battery drains when not running - How common is this, where should I look in terms of fixing this drain?

What else should I keep an eye out for other than typical moto things?

thanks in advance, guys! Hoping it works out!

-Nick

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have the z750's dad, the zr7s with a carburetor :)

As for the battery drain are we talking a fast drain or just a trickle? If the dash has a clock etc that will drain some, but shouldn't kill the battery overnight unless the battery is bad. I'd take a peek and see if there's any extra stuff added in under the seat such as an alarm etc. Parasitic drains can be a pain in the bum to trace.

Reactions: nthomas7883

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have the z750's dad, the zr7s with a carburetor :)

As for the battery drain are we talking a fast drain or just a trickle? If the dash has a clock etc that will drain some, but shouldn't kill the battery overnight unless the battery is bad. I'd take a peek and see if there's any extra stuff added in under the seat such as an alarm etc. Parasitic drains can be a pain in the bum to trace.
I've been eyeing up a couple of ZR-7s too! I'm just over carbs after dealing with my current cursed Suzuki GS500. I swear they made that bike out of chocolate and particle board. I've never stripped so many bolts in my life, and some how the float bowls cracked when removing the drains?

Yeah, that was my first plan was to scope out and see if there were any extras added. I'll have to ask and see how quick the battery drains. The guy was up front about it at least, but just said it'd need to be jumped. I'm planning to go look at it some time next week, so I'll keep y'all posted!

-Nick

·
Administrator
2,648 Posts
Yeah, that was my first plan was to scope out and see if there were any extras added. I'll have to ask and see how quick the battery drains. The guy was up front about it at least, but just said it'd need to be jumped. I'm planning to go look at it some time next week, so I'll keep y'all posted!
Hi - welcome onboard. Chocolate and particleboard, lol. Very descriptive.

If the bike has to be jump started from the get go - then most likely a dead/dying battery. Put a multimeter on it before starting. Note the voltage. Start the bike and put the multimeter on the battery to see if it's charging. Then stop the bike and check the voltage after a few minutes.

If it's the same/similar to before starting - then most likely a bad battery.

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
94 Posts
Caution, Note if the bike has damage to the gastank, (your description), you really should check to see if the forks/frame are bent, otherwise you'll notice it After y ou bought it and then it's either very expensive fork + triple trees replacement or frame replacement especially if the stearing head is damaged.

I bought a pristine looking Honda VF750 New gastank, left muffler, handlebars and left controls. It was fine until I ran it up to 100mph+ then the wabble started, and I discovered one of the front forks was bent. Learned an expensive lesson there.

I'd suggest having a mechanic look it over before you buy it. Just saying.

·
Administrator
2,648 Posts
I discovered one of the front forks was bent. Learned an expensive lesson there.
Shouldn't have been an expensive lesson as fork tubes can be straightened at a good machine shop for not much money.

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
94 Posts
Yeah been there, done that.......I wasn't satisficed w. the "straightened" forks as they had a noticeable warble still. It just did not feel safe.

·
Administrator
2,648 Posts
Yeah been there, done that.......I wasn't satisficed w. the "straightened" forks as they had a noticeable warble still. It just did not feel safe.
Fair enough...but I did say a good machine shop ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts