RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm hoping it isn't a major one but need some help with diagnosis.

Seems to be an overall power loss, it isn't having trouble getting out of its own way or anything but it isn't the same as it used to be. I can't say exactly when I noticed it, but it has definitely lost a step and the noises are different.

The concerning part is the pffft, pfftt noises that are coming from the engine during engine braking and between shifts when I pull in the clutch. Not certain, but it almost sounds like that noise is coming from the intake and I'm hearing it through the air filter. I've read a lot of posts that say this is a noisy engine, but I think I'm hearing more clatter than I used to as well. Self adjusting valves, right? Think I burned one?

It doesn't feel like it is missing or stumbling except for engine braking, just not as powerful as it used to be.

The only thing I've done lately was to replace the scotchlock on the tps wire and change to the Mobil1 high mileage formula that I know some of you are using. I haven't done anything else, levels are fine and there are no obvious signs other than those I've described.

The bike has a little over 20k on it.

I'm willing to send a virtual 6 pack to anybody that can get me going on a potential diagnosis. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like a vacume leak. Cheack any hoses on the back of the air cleaner, hoses dry out and crack when they get old.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not good.

Found another set of symptoms and I'm getting very worried at this point. Looks to be a lot of oil seepage from the top of the rear cylinder. The fins are grimy and dark and there is a definite trace around the plug on the left hand side.

I'll start searching the forum but if you have any ideas I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ok need more info....Are you the original owner?
Have you ever adjusted the camchain tensioners?
Is there oil in the plug tubes?

The camchain will stretch, and the adjusters need to be reset to keep the tension on the chain. At some point you may need to add tensioner extensions. If the chain is allowed to loosen without tension it will "slap" against the plug tubes and eventually wear a hole in the tube and allow oil to blow out. (might explain the pfft pfft your hearing, crankcase pressure) This could be the oil you are seeing. It's a relatively easy fix.
Go to http://forums.delphiforums.com/kawvulcan/start and ask. There are alot of guys there that have done this. Or Gadgets site http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm has the info also.

Good luck!

dj

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not good.

Found another set of symptoms and I'm getting very worried at this point. Looks to be a lot of oil seepage from the top of the rear cylinder. The fins are grimy and dark and there is a definite trace around the plug on the left hand side.

I'll start searching the forum but if you have any ideas I'd appreciate it.
Ready for the big bore kit????

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
That sounds almost more like exhaust carbon than oil. Check and see if the plug is cross threaded. The pfft pfft sounds like an air/vacuum leak, especially if you see black carbon buildup. Check the exhaust gaskets too, a large air leak would have a negative impact on power and have the soot buildup too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ready for the big bore kit????
If I had money I'd just try to buy yours off of you and save myself the work ;)

I'm pretty certain that the oil I've found is the notorious camshaft plugs that I've researched here on the forum. I'm guessing that the synthetic found it's way out. I'm going to be doing the black rtv ring as soon as I get a chance. I think that this just developed at the same time and is a coincidence not another symptom. I guess that's good.

I did pull the plugs and hit them with a wire wheel and regapped them but haven't tested the bike since then. There seemed to be a good bit of soot on the electrodes of all four, not wet, but as I mentioned already the front cylinder plugs both had wet threads. I'll check the tensioners too and see what I find. I did read that thread on gadget's site.

Can't say it enough, I really appreciate this forum and the help you guys are offering.

I don't think I've ruptured the tubes yet, but I'll investigate that a little more closely too.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
What is the condition of the throttle position sensor wire where you connected the pc3? Fouled plugs usually means your connection is bad and its dumping fuel into the cylinders.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the condition of the throttle position sensor wire where you connected the pc3? Fouled plugs usually means your connection is bad and its dumping fuel into the cylinders.
I removed the scotchlock connector and soldered it not too long ago with some advice from the forum, not sure who to credit. What I didn't do was replace the plugs at that time. So theory here, but I had an accurate tps reading thus dumping more fuel into already fouled plugs and compounded my problem? Not certain that solves for all of my problems though. Most obviously the oily threads on both of the front cyl plugs.

I've owned an old Mustang in the past so I've seen my share of white smoke coming out of a pipe, I don't think I have that condition, yet. I suppose it could be because the plugs are fouling and the oil isn't combusting, not sure?

Obviously more detective work to do here after I get the cam plugs sealed up.

One more thing to mention that I need some education on. I pulled the dog bowl and laid my finger down by the breather hose coming into the backing plate and the air seems to be pulsating rapidly. Not sure how to describe it exactly but my limited mechanical knowledge causes me to flip back and forth about whether that is expected or not. Piston rise and fall should displace air in the crankcase which makes the breather hose necessary, but blocking the hose seemed to have no affect at idle.

Feels like I'm typing Dreamstreak's next overture for a big bore kit for him ;)
Hate to start with the hard stuff, but rings and/or valves failing might explain a few of these symptoms. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Well if you already soldered thats good. Did you reset the throttle position settings using the software afterwards?

The tube you're describing is from the reed valves. Its a small air pump that sucks air and puts it into your exhaust to help burn unburnt fuel and is the primary cause of popping from the exhaust. Perfectly normal but most people with aftermarket exhausts remove the valves or marble that tube to get rid of the popping.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You can pull that hose off from the back of the dog bowl and just stick a regular old kids marble in it and hook it back up, should stop the popping.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an older thunder kit and I'm 99% sure that it goes to the crankcase in front of the front cyl. the hose hits a plastic L that comes through the backer plate. I have coasters and the two metal tubes in the center for the ics have been plugged.

Where are you getting these $1 spark plugs? I sourced them at autozone for $4. Times are tough, man. $12 goes along way towards "liquid encouragement" in the form of empty Natural Light cans ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Old pic, and interestingly enough, it looks like my cam plug on the rear cyl was leaking then too, awfully dark between those fins. I just didn't know any better.

The hose I'm talking about is below the two coming through that are supposed to have caps. Again pretty certain it routes up to the case, it definitely doesn't go to the exhaust system.

I did reset the tps on my pc3. It was off by quite a bit at wide open, pretty close at 0%.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
That hose is the crank case breather hose, and yes it will have a lot of air coming from it. Who made your backing plate?

·
Registered
998 Posts
One more thing to mention that I need some education on. I pulled the dog bowl and laid my finger down by the breather hose coming into the backing plate and the air seems to be pulsating rapidly. Not sure how to describe it exactly but my limited mechanical knowledge causes me to flip back and forth about whether that is expected or not. Piston rise and fall should displace air in the crankcase which makes the breather hose necessary, but blocking the hose seemed to have no affect at idle.

Feels like I'm typing Dreamstreak's next overture for a big bore kit for him ;)
Hate to start with the hard stuff, but rings and/or valves failing might explain a few of these symptoms. What do you think?
The hose is doing exactly what it should, but the real reason it works is it is under constant vacuum from the intake sucking in air, which pulls displaced air from the crankcase. This helps piston rings seal with less tension and will aid in keeping gaskets and seals from leaking because of pressure buildup in the crankcase. You said you had oil on the plugs, i'd find the source of that. Could be a valve guide, valve seals, or oil rings. How many miles do you have on your bike?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some guys from the forum are pretty sure that the plate is an older one from thunder.

Dreamstreak, the bike has just over 20,000. Does that give you any other ideas?

My plan right now is to ride a few more miles and try to diagnose further until it gets cold and tear it apart this winter. I was planning on taking it apart to paint anyway, so I guess now I have reason to open the motor too. Yeah!

·
Registered
998 Posts

Old pic, and interestingly enough, it looks like my cam plug on the rear cyl was leaking then too, awfully dark between those fins. I just didn't know any better.

The hose I'm talking about is below the two coming through that are supposed to have caps. Again pretty certain it routes up to the case, it definitely doesn't go to the exhaust system.

I did reset the tps on my pc3. It was off by quite a bit at wide open, pretty close at 0%.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
The two metal tubes coming through, you do know that both should be plugged right? I'm just checking here as that would be a vacuum leak unless they are plugged at the throttle body.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Some guys from the forum are pretty sure that the plate is an older one from thunder.

Dreamstreak, the bike has just over 20,000. Does that give you any other ideas?

My plan right now is to ride a few more miles and try to diagnose further until it gets cold and tear it apart this winter. I was planning on taking it apart to paint anyway, so I guess now I have reason to open the motor too. Yeah!
You really shouldn't be having this trouble at 20k, but honestly, the only other thing that makes sense I don't even want to say. Popping out the intake and loss of power usually means a cam lobe is worn or broken valve springs, stuff like that. It's kinda hard to judge how severe the problem is by the description, but on the lighter side, have you verified that you are getting power through every plug wire?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just bought an 04 black MS. It has 23000 miles on it, cobra speedster slash-downs and a cobra Fi2000. Can someone show me from the pic where this hose is that most people marble? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts