RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wore out my 190 50 17 and am having trouble finding another one. some bike shops cant even order one in. any suggestions? i have one with bout 1k miles on it but with a small nail in the tread groove. im pretty close to just plugging it and finishing out the riding season.

·
Registered
929 Posts
wore out my 190 50 17 and am having trouble finding another one. some bike shops cant even order one in. any suggestions? i have one with bout 1k miles on it but with a small nail in the tread groove. im pretty close to just plugging it and finishing out the riding season.
My buddy who is an MSF instructor put the last 5k, on his Michelin pilot road 2ct with a plug in it. Try pluggin it, and keep an eye on the air pressure.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
i'd plug it, provided your not flogging it at 200km/h on every weekend.

Maybe get a bike store to plug it from the inside rather than doing the home job from the outside with the 'snot' like stuff.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
i'd plug it, provided your not flogging it at 200km/h on every weekend.

Maybe get a bike store to plug it from the inside rather than doing the home job from the outside with the 'snot' like stuff.
Most bike shopes wont do patches or plugs on motorcycle tires because of liability issues. I rode with a patch on my motorcycle tire for a couple months with no problems. Kinda takes some fun outta riding though cause it's always in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Most bike shopes wont do patches or plugs on motorcycle tires because of liability issues. I rode with a patch on my motorcycle tire for a couple months with no problems. Kinda takes some fun outta riding though cause it's always in the back of your mind.
I agree with ya atschach...I've plugged a tire before and it held up fine. Its your nerves you have to worry about. If you do plug it just take your time and do it right, check and check yourself again.

Safe riding :headbang:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Same here. Picked up a wire nail about 600 miles after fitting my rear RoadSmart. I removed and patched on the inside. Doesn't leak even after 4k miles now.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Pulg patch is the better way to go. This is a patch with a "nipple" on it that goes through the hole. Plug stops the majority of the air leak while the patch guarantees it:

1. stays put
2. there is a greater surface area covered to prevent any type of leakage.

I used these when I was a tire tech. Much better than either a plug or patch alone.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it mounted and pluggd friday. i just let the bike shop guy plug it after he mounted it. i asked him about the patch plug and he said he never had any luck patching a radial tire since it has all those ribs on the inside. said the patch plugs rely mostly on the patch part to seal it off. he charged me $20 to mount and balance which i find is almost reasonable. i refuse to pay someone $45 for ten min worth of work. had one mounted on old ladys bake couple of mnths and place i took it too wanted $45 for a carry in. i told them to go to hell and they did it for $30 which was still too much. i timed them and it took 9 min. thats $180 an hour.
rant over.
stuck it back on today ready for a ride monday mornen. best part is i have a new tire that dont have to be broke in.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
We used a die grinder with a rough curled edged sanding wheel to smooth out the ribs on the inside of the tire. Common practice by tire shops since most tires do have ribs on the inside. Only smooths out the surface in the area the patch will be applied.

I wonder if there are issues with doing this on a bike tire. Can't see how as it only removes the ribbing around the hole and doesn't really take anything away from the tires structure.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I got lucky one year 'cuz I was ridin' with a guy from the forum (cornell supreme u still out there? :dunno:) and I caught a nail along one of my favorite section of road and the bike was handling like a pig! Pulled over at an auto shop along the way and he plugged me for $10! (which I had to get cornell back for at the next ATM :notworthy) and rode for the rest of the season on it! The only thing was like the guys have already said, it's always in the back of your mind! Safe riding and change her at season's end! :bud:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts