RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in serious need of a new front tire and I really wanted to try the new Pilot Power 3. If memory serves, it feels like it has a taller, rounder profile compared to the 2CTs more triangulated profile. It is tall. Granted my Q2 was almost a slick but the PP3 front makes it noticeably harder for me to reach the ground.

The tall, round profile felt very strange at first and I wasn’t sure if I liked the tire. The tallness also slowed the steering by a noticeable amount and I had to add a click of rear preload to reduce the “chopper” feeling and get the bike to turn again. I’ve got a halfway worn out Z8 on the rear and the combo doesn’t feel too bad. I can only imagine what 2 PP3s would feel like.

So today I took it on a 100 miles of serious twisties to really get acquainted with it. The tallness gives you a lot of side area to lean on and within a few miles of hitting it hard I started to get a good feel for the tire. Once I adjusted for the new tire's turn in traits, it felt very planted and gave me good confidence when stepping up the pace in the corner entries. I could also feel it on the brakes, actually getting the back tire off the ground a couple of times testing it. It stands the bike up very little when trail braking hard into a corner. I got to the second of the 3 lean indicators on the sides of the tire.

For me and the style of riding I do, front end traction and feel are paramount. This is a very nice tire. I thought I was going to like it and it may very well become my new favorite street tire. We’ll see how it goes over the next 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to describe the difference in how they feel to me I'd say the Q2 felt wider and flatter. The PP3 feels narrower and more round. You can definitely tell it's taller. I liked the Q2 a lot but so far I thinking the PP3 might have better feel and feedback when leaned all the way over. The Q2 never let me down but sometimes I wasn't 100% sure of what it was doing on the edge. The PP3 might have a stiffer carcass or perhaps it's the rounder profile but I'm really digging it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Big fan of the Pilot3s. For me it's the best street tire for the riding I do and wears very well.
It is by no means a fast/track tire but then it isn't supposed to be. It excels in all other categories and in the wet I can say I have never been on a better tire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had R3 on another bike and loved them, seemed to hold lines well.

Hey Squid, I'm having the PC5 and Akrapovic 4-2-1 carbon put on Wednesday, so I'm excited of course and appreciate your insight. Doing the before and after dyno.

But, on the tire topic, I'm still on the stock Bridgestones (700 miles) and after being advised by almost everyone on here will soon put 55 on the rear. About all I can say about the Bridestones are that they seem to wear consistently and my front looks like I'm turning in to quick, which I think I am. I ride a bunch of twisties and I want ultimate confidence. I'm maxed out stiff in the rear and haven't tweek the front at all, but the Bike feels like it doesn't want to hold a line as good as I like. I'm thinking there is something to the 55 and tire choice for sure as I feel like uneasy sometimes on lines; however, my buddy says I'm overthinking it as he says I'm riding the hell out of it, and we pace pretty good. I just feel like the tire might give (but it hasn't) or my line is hard to hold more than I'm accustomed.

As far as riding position, I've tried it all, using more body lean forward then less. Haven't exactly found the sweet spot and I'm hoping the tires are the fix. Hope this isn't off topic folks, sorry.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Squidlius, what rear tire is this matched with? I'm curious as to whether or not your using a 190/55 with this new front.

·
Registered
557 Posts
But, on the tire topic, I'm still on the stock Bridgestones (700 miles) and after being advised by almost everyone on here will soon put 55 on the rear. About all I can say about the Bridestones are that they seem to wear consistently and my front looks like I'm turning in to quick, which I think I am. I ride a bunch of twisties and I want ultimate confidence. I'm maxed out stiff in the rear and haven't tweek the front at all, but the Bike feels like it doesn't want to hold a line as good as I like. I'm thinking there is something to the 55 and tire choice for sure as I feel like uneasy sometimes on lines; however, my buddy says I'm overthinking it as he says I'm riding the hell out of it, and we pace pretty good. I just feel like the tire might give (but it hasn't) or my line is hard to hold more than I'm accustomed.

As far as riding position, I've tried it all, using more body lean forward then less. Haven't exactly found the sweet spot and I'm hoping the tires are the fix. Hope this isn't off topic folks, sorry.
I'm no expert or anything, but what I found to give me more confidence in taking turns faster was to open my inside leg as I turn. I normally would just hug the tank before but now opening my inside leg at the higher speeds seems to set me up right and gave me the confidence to go faster and lean more. Try it.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hey Squid, I'm having the PC5 and Akrapovic 4-2-1 carbon put on Wednesday, so I'm excited of course and appreciate your insight. Doing the before and after dyno.

You will LOVE the pipe and PCV!

Stock the N1k tends to run wide in corners and it requires more countersteer than normal to hold a line through a turn. It gets worse quickly as the stock tires start to flatten out with miles. Raising the forks in the triple clamps 5 or 6MMs and running a 55 rear tire helps make the bike hold a line through corners much better, requiring less countersteer. When you try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Squidlius, what rear tire is this matched with? I'm curious as to whether or not your using a 190/55 with this new front.
I will NEVER not run a 55 rear on this Ninja. Of any bike I've ever owned, this one needs a 55 rear tire the most. A 50 rear would really feel funny with this new front being as tall as it is.

As I mentioned above, I'm currently finishing off a Metzeler Z8 on the rear. I'm looking forward to trying a RoadSmart 2 rear next now that they finally make it in a 55.

·
Registered
49 Posts
YDO I appreciate the thought, but I'm talking about pretty nasty stuff at speed - I generally ride the Total Control (Lee Parks) methods - which includes a weight shift and a leg out/forward and particularly turning the head - heck if I've got pucks on, I might drag a knee at slower speeds, but this bike is just taking some time for me to get accustomed. I'm coming off a ducati 796 which is a laser in the tight curves, but not on sweepers, and a 992 sport tourer which is great in the sweepers to rail around, but not good a real tight stuff. This bike I think can do both generally well, I'm just trying to figure it out, but frankly I'm probably riding it too fast getting used to it. Thanks

Squid - I see your post now and that is exactly what I've experience. More to follow.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm no expert or anything, but what I found to give me more confidence in taking turns faster was to open my inside leg as I turn. I normally would just hug the tank before but now opening my inside leg at the higher speeds seems to set me up right and gave me the confidence to go faster and lean more. Try it.
That works great when you have a bike that's hesitant to turn. Sticking your elbows out motocross style also helps a lot, giving you better leverage on the bars. Also, if you lean your head into the corner and point to where you want to go with your inside elbow, it's like power steering. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Squid - Yep that's what it'd do, run a little wide and some continuos varying pressure on the counter steer that keep my lines funny. It was mostly at fairly high speed though.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Squid - Yep that's what it'd do, run a little wide and some continuos varying pressure on the counter steer that keep my lines funny. It was mostly at fairly high speed though.
Depending on how much you weigh, these Ninjas do tend to wallow a bit on the stock suspension. Nothing too serious for my 175 lbs but I can feel it when hitting a 100 mph sweeper hard. Setting your suspension the best you can and a 55 rear tire helps a lot.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Depending on how much you weigh, these Ninjas do tend to wallow a bit on the stock suspension. Nothing too serious for my 175 lbs but I can feel it when hitting a 100 mph sweeper hard. Setting your suspension the best you can and a 55 rear tire helps a lot.
I thought maybe it was just me; I've noticed the same! I do have a 55 on the rear. I'd be willing to spend money to fix it.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought maybe it was just me; I've noticed the same! I do have a 55 on the rear. I'd be willing to spend money to fix it.
I wish I had the money. A fork job and a Penske 3 way shock would make the bike hard to recognize.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yup, I also cranked my rear all the way up and tried to match the fronts to the rears. Wonder if the z1000 has different suspension.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The last 10 posts in this thread sound like me and my bike exactly. I have the 55 and the suspension dialed in and it is worlds better than it was stock, but there is still a hint of vagueness going thru turns. I am 225 lbs and on PR2s with 5k miles on them. Was thinking of Z8s next.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you live to ride twisties and ever want to treat yourself one time to find out how this N1K can really handle, try a set of Q2s or Pilot Power 3s. I know they don't last very long but everyone who lives to ride twisties should get to feel that at least one time. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you live to ride twisties and ever want to treat yourself one time to find out how this N1K can really handle, try a set of Q2s or Pilot Power 3s. I know they don't last very long but everyone who lives to ride twisties should get to feel that at least one time. :D
As usual, you seem to be dishing out exactly correct advice. I will do that, but I have about 5000 miles of trips coming up in the next 3 months, plus daily commuting and weekend day rides. I don't want to find myself in remote Utah this June with cords showing through. Do you think I will get better feel in twisties with Z8s than with the PR2s? After late June I can try Q2s (I have a super fast friend who swears by them) and want to do a track day or two.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
As usual, you seem to be dishing out exactly correct advice. I will do that, but I have about 5000 miles of trips coming up in the next 3 months, plus daily commuting and weekend day rides. I don't want to find myself in remote Utah this June with cords showing through. Do you think I will get better feel in twisties with Z8s than with the PR2s? After late June I can try Q2s (I have a super fast friend who swears by them) and want to do a track day or two.
That is the problem (if you can call it that :)) that I always battle. I was afraid the Z8 I'm on now wouldn't make a 5 day ride with my group of hooligans so I swapped it out early for a new Q2. After the Q2 wore out I threw this Z8 back on and it still has plenty to go. I'm constantly swapping out tires since I will no longer start a multi-day ride without a brand new or almost new tire. There's nothing worse than being "that guy" who has to do a tire swap in the middle of the ride. We've all done it.

I know this is a Michelin site but I prefer the Z8s over the PR2s. The Z8 gives me better feel and I prefer the sportier profile. I am, however, not a good source of info since I only run the rears. I never run a touring tire on the front. I'm not brave enough with the type of riding I do. My next touring tire on the back is going to be a RoadSmart2. My psycho riding buddies swear by them on the rear with a Q2 front. I think I'm going to try a RoadSmart2 rear with this new Pilot Power3 front. I'm predicting that'll be a great combo.

If you're not certifiable on the street, I'd try a pair of RoadSmart IIs (55 rear of course).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts