RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the PCV3 but am a bit confused as to how to find the right map. Does anyone know of any write-ups on how to successfully create your own map or do most of you think it is worth it to save the time and spend the money to have a professional do it...? I just can't see myself paying $300 for the PCV3 and another few hundered to get it tuned correctly.

·
Registered
552 Posts
First, there is the pc3 and pcv.The pc3 is for early bikes '06-08 and the pcv is for later bikes.I made my own map.The dealer quoted me $400 to do one.That doesn't mean they can do a good job either.To make your own map you need the pc and a lcd and wideband commander.There are different models for the pc3 and pcv.You need a O2 bung on your exhaust for the O2 sensor to screw in.When you hook up the lcd,O2 sensor and your pc you can ride around and see what your afr is.The lcd also logs the data so you can go back and see what you did.Get the software for your pc model its free.Load a simple map from the available ones in your pc and go out for a ride.log the data and change the values for your map to what you want.You want about a 13 afr value.Maps have data for throttle opening in %: 0,2,5,10,20,40,60,60 and 100% vs rpms.Pcv has 15% values.You go out riding on empty roads and hold the throttle at the different % values and watch the afr values.Change your map until you get what you want.You need several runs of this because the lcd logs data every second .You need data for every 250 rpms.It does cost some $ about 500 for the lcd and wideband ,but you still have equipment afterward and can do another mapping anytime you want.On the pcv you only need one good mapping then you can set the autotune to hold afr values.On the pc3 this is not an option.The afr changes a lot due to temperature.Every 20 degrees changes your mapping by about 1 afr.See the vid;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWh6sg3op18
Was worth it for me.I have an '08 and the dealer went out of business recently.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I dont know what you are looking at, a PCIII or a PCV, because you mention both in your post and your sig.

I have the PCV with the AutoTune module, which I think is the easiest way to go. Basically you install an O2 sensor into your exhaust, AEM makes a great no weld solution for the O2 sensor bung.

So you have that set up and as you ride it will read your actual AFRs and your target AFRs, then it will calculate trims for your map, based on what it just saw. You accept those trims and it will upadate your fuel map.

This is nice if you are changing mods to your bike, or want to create different maps for different types of riding. Because the Auto Tune is always doing its thing as long as you have it enabled. You can choose to accept the trims, or ignore them.

If you get a PCV I'd suggest the AutoTune
If you get a PCIII you will probably want a dyno tune

DynoJet has a plethera of maps on their site... but when I ran the recommneded map for my setup, it ran like poo... real poo. WAYYY rich in the cruise range and WAYYY lean in the 60%-100% TPS range. So I cannot say that the use of one of their maps will help much, it may, but I had no luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know what you are looking at, a PCIII or a PCV, because you mention both in your post and your sig.

I have the PCV with the AutoTune module, which I think is the easiest way to go. Basically you install an O2 sensor into your exhaust, AEM makes a great no weld solution for the O2 sensor bung.

So you have that set up and as you ride it will read your actual AFRs and your target AFRs, then it will calculate trims for your map, based on what it just saw. You accept those trims and it will upadate your fuel map.

This is nice if you are changing mods to your bike, or want to create different maps for different types of riding. Because the Auto Tune is always doing its thing as long as you have it enabled. You can choose to accept the trims, or ignore them.

If you get a PCV I'd suggest the AutoTune
If you get a PCIII you will probably want a dyno tune

DynoJet has a plethera of maps on their site... but when I ran the recommneded map for my setup, it ran like poo... real poo. WAYYY rich in the cruise range and WAYYY lean in the 60%-100% TPS range. So I cannot say that the use of one of their maps will help much, it may, but I had no luck.
See this is what I feared, that I drop the $ for the pcv (my bad, i meant pcv in the post above) and would have to either spend another couple hundered to get it dyno tuned or suffer a crappy mixture.

·
Registered
254 Posts
See this is what I feared, that I drop the $ for the pcv (my bad, i meant pcv in the post above) and would have to either spend another couple hundered to get it dyno tuned or suffer a crappy mixture.
You either get the PCIII and get a custom map or use what they offer on the website, or don't buy it and you cant tune it at all, pretty simply. You cannot tune the stock ecu :smashfrea

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah without the AutoTune or a Dyno Tune, there is not much point in getting the PCV.

I am slowly letting the AutoTune build my map for my bike, and second guessed the hell out of it because it is NOTHING like the recommended DJ map. If I run my bike with the recommended DJ map, it runs like poo, then I switch to my custom map from the AutoTune module, and it runs very well.

If you dont get a Dyno Tune, or the Auto Tune, I fear you will be left manually tuning the PCV, which would be like shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked the price on the auto tune and holy ****! That things runs another $200-300 bucks! I'm considering if it's even worth the $500 for this Power Commander....

thanks for the help tho guys, makes much more sense.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The BEST price I have found is $265 for the PCV, from IndySuperbikes, and $200 for the Autotune from some ATV shop in Texas I think... I could look it up if you were interested.

It is cheaper than a dyno tune around here though, which runs $300... and is a one time shot, if you make other mods, the AutoTune will tweak your map and you wont need another $300 Dyno... depends on how you look at it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just checked the price on the auto tune and holy ****! That things runs another $200-300 bucks! I'm considering if it's even worth the $500 for this Power Commander....

thanks for the help tho guys, makes much more sense.
I would not worry about the auto tune, you really don't need it. There are plenty of maps others have posted that will work for you better than what DJ offers, especially for your older model 650, also the BRP forum has more maps people have posted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True. I'm not going to be able to do it now becuase I don't have the $ for it yet, but I guess I'll wait to gift myself for Christmas with this baby. It's either that or Seat Cowl/Rear Hugger.... can't decide lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts