RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buddy just picked up a stock '07 meanie. Picked up some hardchrome pipes and tornado air cleaner and pc111. The pipes and intake are on but the pciii will not be in till friday or saturday. We have been asked to ride in the Vetrens Day Parade on thursday....Question is, will it hurt the bike to run in the parade without the pciii? about 10 minute ride in town to the parade and probably 20 minute parade then home. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Is it good for the motor? No. They're horribly lean from the factory to make the EPA happy and then you just removed the engines biggest restriction. Will it result in its immediate destruction? Probably not. Are you willing to do things to your motor that you know are bad? That's a personal choice.

Kind of like going way over an oil change interval. Do people do it? Yes. Is it good for the long term life of the motor? Nope. Do people who know these things still wait extended periods and then drain sludge from the motor? Yes.

Thats probably why you get views and no response. If you want to do something you know isn't good for the motor thats a personal choice. I wouldn't but if you really want to then go ahead. You're also going at low speeds and low throttle positions in a parade/group ride which is where the bike is leanest to begin with. You'll be close to lugging the motor the whole time you're in the parade. The engine runs hottest at idle or close to it when there's little to no air flow. Heat + lean=boom

·
Registered
303 Posts
streak07 and mike g you may have answered a question I was about to post. The air mod and pc111 (or other) must be done simultaneously is that correct? Forgive the ignorance, I'm being dragged kickin and screamin into the 20th century (and yes I do know its the 21st century)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even a reply saying "yes your a idiot" would be better than no reply at all. Thank you for the idea of restricting the air flow Mike and for the education streak 07

By the Iceman, generally if you only change either the exhaust or intake, a fuel management system is not required.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
No. Exhaust you're fine with no fuel processor. Any intake mod on these bikes requires one. A look at the restriction of the crossover tube compared to a free flowing intake shows how there's a massive change in airflow. The stock exhaust is quite efficient and isn't a restriction.

This isn't true for every model of bike but depends on where the restriction is in the system. Since we have good exhausts the intake is the primary restriction. Remove that and you now have a major lean condition since we're running so lean from the factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts