RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are many fellow 650 riders interested in moding their OEM exhaust/air system, I thought it would be more than appropriate to post some info regarding plugging the PAIR valve.

I read many posts on many forums and I ordered the following plugs:

McMaster-Carr Number: 92805K23

PUSH-ON HIGH-TEMPERATURE SILICONE RUBBER CAP, FITS 5/8" OUTSIDE DIAMETER, 1-1/2" INSIDE HEIGHT

Cost is $ 2.35 for a package of five.
Got them within 3 business days via UPS (yes, shipping was extra but worth it).

Pictures below.
Hope this helps.:agree:

Ride Safe!
KawaKlaus

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got the same ones and feel they are too big. Let me know if you have the same problem, I think the 1/2 inch ones would of been a better fit.

I still used them just had to make some adjustments.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I used these which can be found at any auto parts store in the US. They are 5/8" also, but seem to fit ok. They go on with about the same pressure that the hose goes on, and then they stay. I got the impression that 1/2" would be hard to press on unless the caps are very elastic.

If the 5/8" caps didn't go on, a couple wraps around the nipple with electrical tape would fix that up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the same ones and feel they are too big. Let me know if you have the same problem, I think the 1/2 inch ones would of been a better fit.

I still used them just had to make some adjustments.
Nice. What kind of adjustment did you have to make? I spoke to the Ninja650 shop folks and they suggested that if they are too long we can cut the length to fit.
Or do you mean that the diameter (5/8) is too big?
Ride Safe.
KawaKlaus

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used these which can be found at any auto parts store in the US. They are 5/8" also, but seem to fit ok. They go on with about the same pressure that the hose goes on, and then they stay. I got the impression that 1/2" would be hard to press on unless the caps are very elastic.

If the 5/8" caps didn't go on, a couple wraps around the nipple with electrical tape would fix that up.
Great input here. Thanks for the tip with the electrical tape.
But you are saying that the 5/8 plugs you used fit just right.
Anything else to keep an eye out for with this mod?

Ride Safe!
KawaKlaus

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used Elmer's stick glue caps (orange as well lol) and sealed them with a plastic high temp sealant... just another option

·
Registered
87 Posts

Ride Safe!
KawaKlaus
Ha... just watch out for those damn throttle bodies. I dropped a screw down it and managed to get it back out (lucky as hell), then proceeded to plug them with paper towels afterward only forgetting to take them out when i put it all back together. In the end the paper towels got sucked through and shot out of my exhaust (even luckier). I've learned my lesson haha...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes, don't forget to remove whatever you use to cover up the intakes before putting everything back together. I used tape and did just that. Sounded kinda funny when I started it and I killed it right away. My heart sank when I realized I left it in there. I thought I might have damaged the engine. Opened it all back up and the tape stuck to the side of the intakes. So maybe it's a good idea to use tape just in case you forget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Zaph,
Thank you for posting the pic and the tape suggestion is another good one.
I will post pics when I do the mod in a few weeks...stay tuned. ;)
Ride Ssfe!

KawaKlaus

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used a single marble. Tight fit, easy install, no need to remove the air box, and completely invisible.:bud:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts