·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

The good: I happened across a Ninja 650 with only 200 miles for $1000
The bad: It's a 2006
The ugly: It's been sitting for nearly all of it's 13 year life

The goal: I'm going to be restoring this baby from top to bottom, and I'm hoping that for under $2,000 all in, doing the work myself, I can basically have a brand new machine.

The task list (so far):
- Install new battery
- Drain and refill fuel tank
- Test electrical
- - - If yes, test if bike will start
- - - If no, troubleshoot:
- - - - - - Air filter
- - - - - - Spark plugs
- - - - - - Hoses
- Change oil and filter
- Flush coolant
- Flush brake lines
- Replace tires

The ask:

Is there anything else I should do? I'm assuming brake pads and rotors are still fine, but the tires, despite being "like new" (having no flat spots, no signs of rot or sidewall cracking, etc.) should still be replaced, due to age.

PS: Here's the first video I did, it basically outlines everything I just mentioned, with the added bonus of finding a mouse nest in my Ninja (fml lol)

·
Registered
109 Posts
With the mouse nest in there, I would double check any hoses and wires you can see. I would check in the air box too in case they ate the filter or made another nest.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Depending on the conditions it was stored in it may be fine if youre lucky. If youre unlucky though; everything rubber has potentially perished. If its not leaking it may well soon. Also Brake caliper seals, fork seals, rear shock seal, chain clean and lube. Gaskets O rings.
I do like a good resto thread though so post up pics!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys sorry I forgot to update this thread. Guess I'm the worst at self-promoting? lol

Episode 2: Getting the bike started (it required a little more than just a new battery...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Episode 3: Getting the old gas out (used a $9 fuel pump to siphon it)

Still to come: how to videos that will show how to do an oil change, flush coolant, and maybe even bleed brake lines (had an issue with my camera though, so maybe not that last one).

Cheers guys. Plz let me know if you guys have any questions/comments or there's anything you'd like to see/ask. Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Everyone,

The good: I happened across a Ninja 650 with only 200 miles for $1000
The bad: It's a 2006
The ugly: It's been sitting for nearly all of it's 13 year life

The goal: I'm going to be restoring this baby from top to bottom, and I'm hoping that for under $2,000 all in, doing the work myself, I can basically have a brand new machine.

The task list (so far):
- Install new battery
- Drain and refill fuel tank
- Test electrical
- - - If yes, test if bike will start
- - - If no, troubleshoot:
- - - - - - Air filter
- - - - - - Spark plugs
- - - - - - Hoses
- Change oil and filter
- Flush coolant
- Flush brake lines
- Replace tires

The ask:

Is there anything else I should do? I'm assuming brake pads and rotors are still fine, but the tires, despite being "like new" (having no flat spots, no signs of rot or sidewall cracking, etc.) should still be replaced, due to age.

PS: Here's the first video I did, it basically outlines everything I just mentioned, with the added bonus of finding a mouse nest in my Ninja (fml lol)

That's a beautiful bike virtually new. I read somewhere the 2006 Ninja 650R was the fastest Ninja 650R.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man, it's getting there. One step at a time. I'll feel happy when I get the oil change done. Then I won't feel guilty every time I turn her on haha

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Congrats on the find. Like the '06 in silver. I bought an '07 new and rode it for 4 years and 15,000 miles before trading it for an '11 Versys 650.

Not sure why you said the bad was being an '06. They were one of the first to put the centralized low cg exhaust on a sport bike. That is what sold me on one since I am not a huge fan of a huge can on one side of a bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure why you said the bad was being an '06. They were one of the first to put the centralized low cg exhaust on a sport bike. That is what sold me on one since I am not a huge fan of a huge can on one side of a bike.
Oops, totally forgot to keep this going, sorry. Bad it was an '06 in the sense of... 200 miles on a 2006 means the bike's had a lot of time sitting still, and not a lot of time in motion. Bad it was an '06 in the "vehicles gotta move" sense.

Anyway, I did another video, once I cleaned out the rat's nest, got the new battery in there, got rid of the alarm system I didn't have a key fob for, and got the old gas out, it was time to do a video showing how to do an oil and filter change on the Kawasaki Ninja 650R:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts