RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding around on my Raider for a while. Decided to run around on my MS. I noticed a dramatic difference in steering. The MS oversteers. So much so that I find myself pulling on the other handlebar to keep from turning even more.

Is it normal for the MS to oversteer?

I've checked:

Air pressure.
Triple clamp looseness.
Front wheel bearing looseness.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not real sure of the problem but i know when i went from a zx9r to a ms it did handle and turn way different!!! Could be you just got use to the raider and the ms seems odd. I still find myself turning a lil too much from time to time. It seems you've checked all the important points.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I jump from bike to bike and have not noticed any negative aspects regarding the steering on the MS. I have ridden it pretty aggressively keeping up with my buddy on his ZRX1200 on twisty roads.

How many miles on your tires? Air pressure in rear shocks?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just think of it as power steering.. lol.. just kidding, I find the steering quite light on the MS compared to other cruisers of similar size.. explains the handling.. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just think of it as power steering.. lol.. just kidding, I find the steering quite light on the MS compared to other cruisers of similar size.. explains the handling.. :)
I do find the MS's steering to be light. It's just the oversteering that's disconcerting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found source of over steering: Air pressure gauge off by 5 psi ! Got a new digital gauge as a comparison. The stick type air pressure gauge was reading 26 psi verses 32 psi on the digital gauge. Pumped up the tires to 32 psi and my over steering is a fraction of what it was.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I believe the mean streak calls for 36 front and rear.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Not according to my owners manual and service manual.
Correct ,,I was going by the tire,,I never know which is the best one to follow, manual or tire recommendations

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You said you checked the pressure so nobody went the obvious route..LOL
Glad you found it..Might want to give everything a once over while you're at it.
Double checked tire front pressure, tire condition, steering, front wheel and steering stem looseness: Nothing found.
Double checked tire back pressure and tire condition: Lost 2 psi overnight. New tire needed. Uneven wear on drive side of tire.

New Meztler on order.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Double checked tire front pressure, tire condition, steering, front wheel and steering stem looseness: Nothing found.
Double checked tire back pressure and tire condition: Lost 2 psi overnight. New tire needed. Uneven wear on drive side of tire.

New Meztler on order.
It'll ride like a new bike when you get that tire on Im sure!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Correct ,,I was going by the tire,,I never know which is the best one to follow, manual or tire recommendations
You never want to run the max pressure on the tire unless you are carrying the max load that goes along with that pressure. Otherwise you have overinflated for the load which means the tire will not heat up properly and apply the optimum contact patch.

If the tire is the same size as stock I will run the manufacturers recommended pressure unless the tire manufacturer has a recommended pressure for my specific bike. Many of the tire manufacturers have a tech support line that can help with that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts