RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what kind of other stuff everyone is into. Let me start.

Motorcycles(of course), fast cars, mountain biking, rock climbing, backpacking, running, hiking.

And when I get some decent money(i'm still a student) I plan on getting into R/C planes, pistols, new motorcycle, bobsledding(just kidding--the olympics got in my head)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I like working with wood and metal. I like to build things that I can look back on and say, "I built that". Not for the attention but for the self-satisfaction. My more recent projects were to make vehicle radio mounts (2-way type) for 2 Ford Rangers (mine and my bosses work vehicles). The challenge was that I couldn't drill any holes into the vehicles they were to be mounted in. In the past I've done the more common structures like garage shelves, picnic tables, tool boxes & refinished some old furniture. My neighbor has an old self standing paper towl holder that she likes and would like to duplicate for gifts for friends that wanted one, so I'm going to cut out the pieces and pre-drill the holes for her so she just has to assemble them......I guess "tinker" is more the word I'm looking for to describe my hobbie.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i used to rock climb a lot when i lived in new york, shawangunk mountains. i also used to mountain bike quite a bit. now i mostly just surf, it's one of the main reasons i moved west. i'm also getting back into hiking now that i have a good guidebook for san diego county. and yoga whenever i can.

new hobbies include the ukulele i just bought today. it's real hoot! after only 10 minutes i could actually play some chords :)

scott :)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Hockey, hunting, fishing. And of course, my occupation, racing. However, since I got into racing, I've pretty much kissed all of my other hobbies good-bye. I only ride the ZR when I get any free time now.

Emrah

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
music music and more music!

That is my passion more than a hobby. I play the guitar, piano, drums, bass, and am learning the mandolin now. I love music! I love to sing! The guitar is my main instrument (at least it's the one I play in my band at church). I just love it! Bluegrass, Jazz, Rock, Pop, Country....you name it, I pretty much like playing it!

I've also had a couple songs published, but you've probably never heard them. They were signed to be played at a couple small radio stations up in the North Carolina area (Southern Gospel stations). They both have rather country feels to them.

Anyway....that's what I like to do in my spare time.

Oh, and I love making scrapbooks! My husband loves the pages where I've taken pictures of his dad when he was young and riding a motorcycle, and put them together with my husbands bikes and his pictures. It's neat to see the time fly by!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Jogging, ski-ing, piano, Palm Vx, German, model railways (don't laugh), sailboarding (but not this summer - nice days were for biking)

Also swimming as of recent date ... did my first ever Triathlon swim (750m) as part of a team entry with my daughter, who did the run (5km) and her boyfriend who did the bike leg (20km). He was the only serious one, since he races at Elite level. Frankly, I'm amazed I didn't drown, and I didn't come last (actually I came third last :) :laugh: ). Still, not bad for 51 years.

Here's some pics ...

Before the start
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/before the start 2.jpg
Go !!
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/go.jpg
Looking tired ...
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/looks tired.jpg
Still alive !
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/still alive.jpg
Is she any good ?!
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/is she any good.jpg
Here he is at last ...
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/he here is at last.jpg
Off she goes ..
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/and off she goes.jpg
Just about home ..
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/just about home.jpg
There - it wasn't so bad, was it ?
http://members.unite.com.au/~u7061a/Triathlon 3 Feb 2002/it wasn't so bad was it.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot red wine.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Models....I use to love to build models, mostly cars. That was one of my big passions when I was in the Army. I also just started collecting miniature motorcycles (more stuff to collect dust)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I really love models. You know, the kind that strut their thing on the runways in skimpy attire. :cool:

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Photography is my most gratifying hobby at the moment. I also paint in oils, watercolor, and acrylics, and have done some ink drawings as well. Tom :)

·
Silver Member
207 Posts
I fish, hunt, target shoot (rifle, pistol and shotgun). But I'm finding less and less time to enjoy these as my two boys (ages 6 and 4) are getting big enough to play baseball (I coach) and participate in Boy Scouts (assist the den leader). I'm working on changing that by including them as much as I can without forcing it.

I've got both boys hooked on fishing I usually take them fishing for sand bass and stripers because you see more action that way. When I hook one, they take my pole from me to reel it in. I probably haven't reeled in a fish while they were around in two years :) And both of them LOVE to sit in my lap and drive the boat. When the boys aren't with me, I bass fish. I keep looking for that elusive 10 pounder, knowing that she's waiting for me somewhere (best bass so far is 9lbs 5 oz).

I just started teaching the older one how to shoot a bb gun this year. When they get to be 8 years old, I'll start them shooting .22's and shotgun's around 10 years old. I've taken the older one squirrel hunting and both of them dove hunting and they liked that. They are good spotters and great at giving me grief when I miss a shot.

So that's me, your basic pickup driving, bass fishing, deer hunting Texas boy. And just remember.....

If your tan line stops halfway up your arm, you might just be a redneck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
in addition to being a rookie motorcycle enthusiast,
i have been mountain biking for a little over 5 years now.. i am a computer geek by trade and it carries over to home. i also like to do home improvements and construction type stuff.. i have a pretty good tool collection built up from remodeling many-a-relatives house. oh.. and i would love to be on junkyard wars... what a great show :)

josh

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Dude, Junkyard Wars ROCKS! Every wrench I know in the business wants to be on that show!

Gentlemen, you have 1 hour remaining....

Emrah

·
Registered
59 Posts
All kinds of out door activities

My finace and I are into all kinds of outdoor activites. :D

White water kayaking is probably on the top of our list. I paddle a Dagger Super Ego and she paddles a Dagger Vengeance. We hit rivers in GA, NC, & TN. I have also rafted on the Gually river in WV which was a blast.

I bought a mountain bike last year, but only hit the trials a few times. :z

We both have tried sky diving a few times last summer. I did 3 different static line jumps with my final one being very scary and decided that was enough. I lost my grip on the wing and fell :yell: which caused me to start tumbling in the air doing flips. :angel: If you know anything about parachutes, my static line pulled while I was fipping causing me to get tangled in my supsenion lines. My chute opened with partial failure and I was tangled like crazy in the lines. I was able to get my chute to fully inflate and get myself out of that mess, but decided I was safer on the ground after that!

I am also into 4-wheelers, but haven't bought one yet. I just got my fiance a VTR250 bike and that will probably be our conentration this summer. ;)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
The biggest problem with sky diving is if your chute doesn't open, they have to dig you up to bury you again. :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
bury you again

Andy, you know that went through my mind while I was falling. :)
It finally clicked that any amount of protective gear won't help you much when you come to a complete stop from 125mph into the ground. Atleast a bike get off you have some hope with the right gear on. What do you think?

Pondering: I wonder if that Bear suit that guy invented to wear and tested it by getting hit by a truck would work? (I think it was called the Mark IV?) Hmm, waiting on picture on this one! :~

My mom actually bought me a sweat shirt for X-mas that reads:
"If at first you don't suceed, Skydiving is not for you":mecry: She was happy when I told her I had had my fun with it. She also got me one that reads "Still plays with mortorcycles" I think she likes that idea better!

I think my first clue about sky diving should have been when I saw the Jump Masters shirt that read: "If you die, we split your gear" :cool:

The things we do for fun!

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Did you hear what one sky divers helmet said to another sky divers helmet after the chute failed to open... "Sure glad that body was there to cushion my fall". :D

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Andy, why haven't you told us about your aspiring stand up comedy career ?
:laugh:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts