RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, trying to bring a buddy's bike back to life for him after it's been sitting for a year.....'03 VRod, have flushed old fuel & fluids, & changed plugs....bike will start, & idle for a few moments then stalls...can hear fuel pump priming, so fuel pump is working....also, while it's running for those few moments, will not accept any throttle to bring above idle....possible varnished up T/Bodies ? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey guys, trying to bring a buddy's bike back to life for him after it's been sitting for a year.....'03 VRod, have flushed old fuel & fluids, & changed plugs....bike will start, & idle for a few moments then stalls...can hear fuel pump priming, so fuel pump is working....also, while it's running for those few moments, will not accept any throttle to bring above idle....possible varnished up T/Bodies ? Any help would be greatly appreciated....
How long has it been sitting? If it has been a while it might just be really touchy for a while. I have had older bikes that were hard to start cold, and like your case they would start but giving them any throttle would kill them. Being as impatient as I am and not wanting to damage the starter from cranking it too much I would probably find a couple buddies to push me around for a while and try to push start it a few times and force the engine to turn over and run. Or depending on your skill get someone with a bike or car to pull you with a tow rope and pop it in gear (I have done this but would not recomend it unless your really comfortable on the bike and with the feeling of being pulled). Sounds like you have fuel, spark, and probably compression (if the bike has been sitting a while maybe not) so you might just need to force that engine to turn over a few times and warm up a bit.

Disclosure - this is what I would do, but I am not a mechanic or motorcycle tech or anything of that nature so take it for what it is

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..thanks for the quick response & info. Bike has been sitting for, (what was admitted), a year, & has suffered a great deal of corrosion---geesh, have heard really nasty rumors about sub-standard shiny bits on Harley's, but, was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt....Wrong!...even the frame has surface rust. Chrome bits, even on the engine are bubbling....so sad to see, but, parts can be replaced..
Anyways, I have replaced the battery this evening, & performance is showing signs of improving. Previous battery was able to turn it over, & appeared strong, guess not strong enough......will keep you posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts