RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I just stumbled across a real bargain. The original luggage rack (side and top) for just 80 euro's!
But now i need to find out wich luggage cases will work.. the top is no problem but i'm not sure about the side cases. If i look up the givi cases all i see is monolock, monokey and i think the original rack requires cases that need to be bolt on. Or am i wrong?
What type of cases will work considering were already 2018.

Thanks in advance!
Greetings, Kjelly

Attachments

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
All of them should work for the side cases except the plx cases. They have an angled slope that prevent them from working with the rack you have. You want cases that are flat in the back.

You want these:
givi-e22n-pn100_100-32_3395d231-a252-4089-8a42-fb5f8ce392b4_large.jpg

You don't want these:
mount10.jpg

Now that being said, looking at the rack it seems to be missing a few parts. There should be two "prongs" on the bottoms of the side case holders for the case to latch into. I only seem to see one on the side I can see in the picture. There's also the top latching point that's missing. it goes where the 2 holes are in the top of the side case holders as well.

kit-fixation-top-case-givi-kawasaki-zr-7-zr-7-s.jpg

Now the circles in this picture line up with the circles in the other picture of the case so you can see the 3 connection points.

The top case holder is for one of the monolock type cases. The mount will not fit a monokey top case.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
From everything I've seen the OEM cases did not bolt on, they used the above latching system and were removable. They were GIVI cases that just had Kawasaki branding on them.

IMG_20131118_135252_zps26357d9f.jpg

Here's a close up of the side of how your rack should look and a wide shot of it.

IMG_20131118_134737_zps163d0028.jpg IMG_20131118_135147_zps7a52c9e5.jpg IMG_20131118_135319_zpsc8508e51.jpg

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
You will find some of the side cases look HUGE and will really stick out beyond the blinkers of the bike. (as a side not you may also have to relocate your rear blinkers and make sure you don't block the red side reflectors on your license plate with the cases)

I have a set of E21 (21L top load) side cases that I use daily, but I also have E360's (36L side load) that I use if I'm touring and need more space. The larger side cases look ugly in my opinion. My top case is an E260N with a universal mounting plate and my rack is a GIVI wing rack N140. (and some extra LED tail & brake lighting.)

E360
IMG_9818.JPG

E21
IMG_9954.JPG IMG_9956.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! You're right about the top latching point. Damn. Where will i find that...

·
Registered
5,091 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will look it up. The set seems to work to. Monokey systems is that right? I'm gonna call a Givi distributor tomorrow and hopefully they can help me with that part. Seems to be universal to different racks for different bikes.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I will look it up. The set seems to work to. Monokey systems is that right? I'm gonna call a Givi distributor tomorrow and hopefully they can help me with that part. Seems to be universal to different racks for different bikes.
The rack frames are pretty much universal, but not always. They sell "fitment kits" for each specific bike that are basically bent and length adjusted to fit the mounting points on each bike, as usually no 2 bikes are exact. The side cases should all fit for the side racks, again as long as you don't get the v45 ones that have that sloped back to fit over high mount exhausts etc. The top cases differ by mounts. The "universal" mounts usually come with a bracket and have two protruding bits that slide into the bracket. The other type of top mount uses the exact same system as the side cases with the inverted spots on the case.

universal type with the protudruding bits on the case that go in the mount

givi.jpg givi-e103-back-rest.jpg

This one is the same mounting design as the side cases. Don't let the raised bumps on the mount fool you as they fit inside the case just like the side ones do.

Givi-Z255-M3-Plate-Sparepart.jpg

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Here's how the side cases will mount

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
And here's how to tell the differences between monolock & monokey

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You are so frick'n helpful Obo! Great info bud.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
It's all out there on the web, but it helps when you know what to show someone. I have all 3 styles of cases (monokey, monolock & the plx ones) and 2 of the 3 styles of mounts. Until you can actually see & touch some of these things it can be very confusing. You'd think Givi would have made it more clear for folks to start with.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
And being nice enough to help others is the biggest asset you bring to the site. It helps your also a collector of bike luggage too, so you know first hand of which you speak in this case!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
And being nice enough to help others is the biggest asset you bring to the site. It helps your also a collector of bike luggage too, so you know first hand of which you speak!
I do have 7 cases and only 1 bike.... mind you I can't use 2 of the cases due to the slanted design lol. Still, they were a good deal and perhaps I can use them down the road.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
And being nice enough to help others is the biggest asset you bring to the site. It helps your also a collector of bike luggage too, so you know first hand of which you speak!
Waaaaaaaaait a moment. I see what you did there. My best asset is wanting to help others, not what I know. Sheesh. And here I thought you liked me for more than my resistors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts