RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've been a lurker here for a while - found some really helpful info for maintenance of the bike here.
So thanks to all for keeping such a community alive and happening :)

I am tired of the way the stock headlight looks on my 650r. I know this is a beaten-to-death topic, but I just want to evaluate my options.
I am aware of the catalyst fairings + zx-6r lights, and that this will require clipons. This seems to be an expensive route to go down, not to mention
that I like the stock bars.

What is the possibility of trying to mount a 2009+ 650r headlight (the split one) onto my 07 650r? Has anyone done this before? Would this
require a fairings swap also, or just the mounts/brackets for the headlights?

Besides this, are there any other sets of headlights that will not require a fairing swap?

That said, if you do have pictures of headlight swaps, please do share them in this thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shyam

·
Registered
155 Posts
What about doing a projector retrofit and painting down the middle of the headlight to look like a split unit? Seems that would keep things as simple or busy as you want while still being reversible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A projector retrofit was what I had in mind initially. But somehow ones that had it done don't look appealing. Even with a paint/vinyl strip down the middle, the headlight face (glass/plastic) is too small to look good with a split. The window itself would have to be bigger for a split to look good. The projectors look to be placed too close to each other.
I might sound picky, but I'm just searching for options with a retrofit as a last resort :) I've done projector retrofits on my cars before, so I am aware of the work required.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You will have to change plastic. There are some 09 sets for like 600 from China but I don't know how the fitment will be. Plus with all the brackets and the headlights you are probably looking at over $1000. Just to change the headlights.

If you are comfortable with fabricating parts I would consider going naked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked up a set of 2006 zx6r fairings through craigslist for $100 - pretty much the full set (at least the front stuff)
The nose cowl is much bigger in the zx6r than the 650r. Lower fairings definitely can't go on the bike (exhaust, pegs).
The 650r also has some inner plastics for the upper fairings which the zx6r fairings may have its own counterpart.
Even if I can get the fairings to somehow fit (will need some fabrication definitely), I would need the headlight/gauge bracket that Catalyst (Vortex) sells to mount the zx6r lights (which I am yet to purchase - too early now). I'm trying to see of this exercise will end up being cheaper than the Catalyst route (now that I have some fairings).
Am I thinking correctly for this project? Is it too ambitious? I know people may have their own opinions about this, and I respect that.
But please try to help me to get a clear picture rather than dismiss the idea altogether.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Have you considered upgrading year models? If you took the money from the one you have and added the potential upgrade cost you would probably be pretty close on a fair priced newer one. Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Lean It: yes, I did consider upgrading to a zx6r, but somehow I don't want a full on supersport - I use this bike as a daily commuter. I don't like the look of the newer 650 - they seem bulky/beefed up, but not in a nice way.

Anyways, onto my updates: I found a website (58cycle.com) that still sells the vortex bracket for $50. My bike now has the ninja650shop sport bars v3 and I quite like the way the bike feels now. For my frame, this feels more comfortable than the stock bars. If the zx6r bodywork (not catalyst) can be made to fit with the vortex bracket and the sport bars (some minor fab work for the side fairings maybe..) then that'll be perfect :) I really don't want to lower the bike and have some clip ons for the sake of the fairings..

The other route is to get the HotBodies Racing fairings which would bolt onto the stock body, use OEM brackets and windscreen. Has anyone mounted different headlights to this fairing? Specifically the 05-06 zx6r headlights (wondering if it has enough room)? I searched on the forum (and other forums too), but people seem to only use HotBodies or Cheetah fairings for the track (understandably so).

Any thoughts/tips?

--shyam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts