RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is highly controversial, but here goes:

Just like Murphy's Law dictates, true to form, I go out this morning and find my less-than 3-week-old rear tire flat. Puncture. ARGH!:yell: I should have expected it though. It seems it's a given that any sharp object capable of penetrating your tire will instantly be attracted to it because you shelled out a bunch of money and it's new.

So, I was thinking of patching it. The cut is on the tread block itself, meaning that a plug would be a pretty long/deep one. I'd think that would be better to prevent leakage and vulcanize to the tire better. I called my local motorcycle shop (the guys who put the tire on; they're real sharp and I trust their opinion), and he said you can patch it (as long as it's not on the sidewall obviously), but he says he "officially" has to warn people to not exceed 70 mph with it. Now, I go higher than that, but not much.

I'm probably going to do it (right after I post this message) and see how it holds for a few days (it's raining anyway so it won't be ridden). Then I'll keep close tabs on it.

Basically what I'm asking is if anybody has ridden on plugs and what was their experience. Good or bad. Even if you want to give me the "what's your life worth compared to a new tire" speech.

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I have no problems riding with a patch on a tire. Booting it from the inside is a lot safer than plugs, and as long as it's a quality job it should hold up just fine. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
emrah- I've been riding on a rear tire patch for about 1000 miles. No problems whatsoever, and I do exceed 70 quite often. The patch was dealer installed which cost $50 total job.

After that, I invested in a "plug it yourself kit" and now carry it under my seat, along with a mountain bike (bicycle) tire pump. I didn't really want to carry CO2 canisters under my seat, and it would probably take about a dozen of them for the back tire anyway.

The kit is really nice and was featured in one of the motorcycle mags recently. They liked it, and indicated that the plugs, which are installed from the outside, held air as advertized. The plugs come in various lengths (up to about an inch) so there's no problem with length. Just cut off the excess length from the outside with the furnished knife. I'll post the company's website address if you're interested. (It's under the seat under the cover so I'll get back to you on that).

kelly

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's exactly what I was thinking. Plug it now. Then have it taken off the rim and patched from the inside this weekend.

Emrah

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the plug's in and the air seems to be holding. Haven't ridden it yet though. It will definitely be good enough to ride the whopping 1.5 miles to the bike shop on Saturday so they can put the path on the inside.

I've seen that kit in magazines as well. I just made up my own little "kit". I have a regular tire plug kit from Pep boys (got 4 plugs (well, 3 now), the cement, the insertion tool (duh huh, I said "insertion tool":eek: ) and the tool to file the hole and clean it up. I also have a little bike pump and a little can of fix-a-flat. And a mini-Maglite, and a Leatherman, and spare fuses....

Emrah

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
tiny warning

fix-a-flat can be messy! my friend ophira got a puncture and we put fix-a-flat in. it took two cans to get home and another a few days later to get it to the shop since the puncture was too big to totally seal.

it spit the goo all over the inside of the fender, onto the swingarm and shock, splattered out a bit on the rear body work, etc. i know because i ended up cleaning it all of the bike, never quite got all of it off.

follow emrah's example, get an inexpensive plug kit and carry it wih you.

scott :)

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Hey dude take it to your dealer. He will probably have a plug-patch to fix it with. This is a combo patch installed from the inside.
Kind of looks like a big thumbtack. I had one put in after a 3/4 in wide sharde of metal(2in long)found its way in my tire. 3000 miles later I bought a new tire (batlax 020) on-line for 110.00 shipped. The dealer wanted about 165.00 for the tire........... 30% more.
But I never had a problem with the patch....13.00 to patch and balance my tire.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Patch, yes I'd do it(again) but a plug, only to get me home so I could patch it on the inside.

The "mushroom/backed" type plugs that Kelly posted are better than the old straight/corded style.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Tire plug kit

Best regards Team:

I just order the Tire Plug Kit from the website, I have been looking for this kit in the local stores but no luck. (I do not feel very confortable buying stuff with the credit card trough the Web). I think this kit is mandatory in any motorcycle tool kit. Anyway I found this link with graphical instructions:

http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/bongoplug.htm

Ride Safe....!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts