RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've gone and done it now!

In the process of changing out my clutch spring I inadvertently dropped a penny down into the 'hole of death'. I'm sure 'hole of death' is not the technical name but it gets the point across.

I had a rag over it but while torquing the penny dropped and the rag moved. Gahhhhhh!

So, I think it's down in the oil pan but I have no eyes on it even with a flashlight. Even if I can get eyes on I cannot conceive of any way to get it out. The pan does not detach so I would pretty much have to take the whole bottom of the crank apart I think and even then I'm not sure if I could get to it.

So, I'm contemplating driving around with a penny in my oil pan.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Cheers!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not had the pleasure, but I've heard of this before. Here's something worth reading: Vulcan Baggers
Wow! Thanks Ken! I can hardly believe you found something on this. This is a good read.

I bought an endoscope for $40 on amazon along with some various hemostats. I plan to get in there and have a look later today or tomorrow. That really seems to be the best possible means with which to view the area and pull anything out.

If I can get this clutch fixed up I think I'm going to sell or trade the old girl in. I've had her for nearly 8 years and put 20K to 30K miles on her. I've been dreaming about a Concours or Goldwing lately.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I've had a chance to use the borescope. If you don't happen to have one of these they are well worth the $40 I paid on amazon.

After a couple of hours of searching through the "hell hole", the filter port and the drain port on the kickstand side of the pan I have not been able to visualize the penny. There are some small nooks and crannies in these areas which are impossible to see into even with the scope.

At this point I'm going to button her up again and take my chances. Best case scenario is that the weight of it keeps it resting wherever it is. Worst case it gets caught up by the gears or blocks oil flow. Either of these could be catastrophic If it gets caught up in the gears I figure it will get chewed up in short order being that it is primarily zinc and copper so getting chewed on by the gears in and of itself is probably not a big issue. The bigger issue would likely come in if it starts blocking oil flow.

Guess it's time to add towing to my insurance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts