RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so after a failed attempt at installing some bar risers i picked up some alternative bars this weekend. i was really just hoping to be able to mount some bar end mirrors with these but the mirrors turned out to be total junk. the bars however are great :)

for $20 i got a pair of chrome Daytona bend bars from O'Neal at the local Cycle Parts West. you can get them here:
http://azcyclesports.com/pr/oneal/cart/product-o.asp.ProductCode_3030.htm
ignore the picture, it's wrong. they don't have a crossbar like that.

i thought these were much closer to the stock bars than they actually are. i couldn't really tell until the were mounted. they're wider, flatter and have less bend. in general the way i have them set up sets the grips up and back just a bit with a bend that's flatter and more comfortable (for me). i was trying to achieve the same thing with the risers to help my lower back and make it less tiring to ride two up. this probably didn't move them as far as the risers woudl have but it's pretty good.

i took some measurements of both bars installed. anything regarding pullback and rise is somewhat subjective since it has to do with how they're mounted but at least i did the measuring and set up of both bars so it should be a good relative mark.

Stock:
width 26 1/4"
rise 2 1/2"
pullback 6 1/4"

O'Neal Daytona:
width 28 a/2"
rise 2 3/4"
pullback 7"

the rise is a bit misleading. i measured from the center of the bars between the mounts vertically to the highest point. although they look close the ends of the daytonas slope down less so the outer ends of the grips are higher.

after i made the measurements i rocked them back a bit more during the test ride. but i did snap two pics of myself and i'm sitting up just a bit starighter with the new bars.

i did a good long test ride. steering is more sensitive, probably the extra inch on each end giving me more leverage and less weight on my arms. two up riding at low speds has always tired out my arms but was much easier with the new bars. i sit up straighter but there was no more wind than usual on the freeway,

the one thing i did notice is that the front tends to wander a bit more at freeway speeds (70mph+). i first thought this was because of more leverage but now i think it's becasue there is a little less weight on the front wheel. if i lean forward a bit it seems to go away. i'm going to soften the front end a bit by cutting down my pvc preload spacers an 1/8" or so.

there were several things of note when installing them. all the cables made it with no major re-routing, just some wiggling into place. the bends are shallower so the middle of the bar is wider. this means you can't cut them down to make them narrower. if you did there wouldn't be enough room for the grips, control clusters and levers on the straight part of the bars. it's so tight it's important to dril the holes that locate the control clusters with great care. i got it just about right and so far i'm really digging the new setup :)

i got some digital pics of both setups and i'll post them as soon as i get the camera hooked up to the pc.

the bars come with small plastic end plugs. i removed them and got some aluminum lockhart phillips bar end weights. the combination of the weights and new bars gives me slightly les vibes. also, since the mirrors are out an extra inch on each side i can see a bit better behind me now.

more reviews when i get some more miles on the bike and pics as soon as i can.

scott :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, i've got som pics! in this first one i'm sitting on the bike. top shot is stock bars, bottom is the new o'neals. you'll notice the bars are just a bit higher (more space between my forearm and the tank) and the bend is a little flatter (look across my knuckles). you can also see i'm sitting just a bit more straight up. it's subtle but noticeable and my back likes it. pullback here is about the same but i ended up rotating them back from what you see here. so i've probably gotten closer to stock height but further back.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this second shot is just the bars. they're resting on the ground in the first shot and held flat to the floor (by the stick) in the second. couldn't get the bar ends off the stock bars.

you can see they're a little wider overall and in the middle. in the bottom shot you can see that the rise is just a bit more than stock and the angle of the ahnd area is different. this is what allowed me to roch them back so much further.

·
The Commander
5,021 Posts
The shirt....... obviously you're in California..... no self-respecting midwesterner would be caught dead in that!!! I assume there's also a flower stuck above your ear on the other side that we can't see! :~

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kiddin' bud! :D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jarel, that's actually one of my more mellow tie-dyes. maybe now you understand why i just had to leave new york. i dressed like that, surfed all winter and and drove a car like this. people just didn't understand. out here i'm just average.

scott ;)

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,811 Posts
Hey Scott, how easy are these to install? Did you have to cut or drill anything to put 'em on? Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only thing i had to drill were the locater holes for the control clusters. the plastic boxes on either side of your bars are kept from spinning around by little tabs that stick into the bars. it's a little tricky but nothing terrible. aside from that i left all cable routings and everything else the same and i haven't had any trouble.

here's my suggested instructions:
first cover the tank and front fender with terry cloth towels for protection. the peace of mind this brings is priceless. buy some of your own so you don't upset the wife ;)

remove everything from the old bars and mount the new bars bare. get them into a position that is comfortable for you. then mount the levers and slide them in as far as they will go and put them at an angle you like. (mine are a tight fit, the brake master cylinder is resting on the bars). hold the plastic pieces on the bar and make sure they'll fit with the grip and that they're rotated to a comfortable angle. then measure. measure again. walk away for a little while and measure it once more. then just center punch and drill two little holes.

i found just enough room for everything to fit with the bars where i wanted them. to tell the truth the plastic throttle sticks about 2mm past the end of the bar. i made up for the difference by installing the bar end sticking out a little bit to give it some room.

you do move teh front brake master cylinder around a lot while doing this so once you're done remove the clamp for the front brake and angle the lever arm up just a bit. then use a screwdriver handle and tap the fluid reservoir a few times. this will help get any bubbles out. then remount it. if the lever feels squishy at all you should bleed the brakes bu i think you'llbe ok.

if this is too complicated you can use the phillip darnall method. he has after market atv bars on his bike. he completely got rid of those silly locater pegs with a utility knife or whatever and just snugged the controls down. i'd maybe maybe put some double sided foam tape in there to help keep 'em planted. i rode his bike and his controls don't move. what exactly did you do phil?

the whole process took me a few hours but i'm a stickler for details on my machine. most of the time was spent trial fitting everything a few times before i drilled. (measure twice, cut once) i was also using a friend's garage so i had to spend some time gathering tools and the like.

if it's really important to you i can disassemble the whole thing one day and take some measurements for you. they are different on both sides.

thining back now i could have measured the old bars and used that as a start. take note, on the old bars the grips stick out a little onto the bar ends so mark the edge, remove teh grip and then measure from there if you want to do it that way.

i really do try to keep these posts short but they seem to have a life of their own. let me know if you need to know more tom :)

·
9,811 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info, Scott. I'm kind of hopeless without detailed instructions. I'm going to try the bars myself after I get this new jet kit installed (or pay to have it done). Tom :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Scott,

"if this is too complicated you can use the phillip darnall method. he has after market atv bars on his bike. he completely got rid of those silly locater pegs with a utility knife or whatever and just snugged the controls down. i'd maybe maybe put some double sided foam tape in there to help keep 'em planted. i rode his bike and his controls don't move. what exactly did you do phil? "

One of the tangs arrived broken on my bike. I just knocked the other one off with a file. They stick pretty good on the new bars.

Philip

PS Thanks for the pictures. I cust downloaded mine from the camera. Do you want high res or low res files?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Scott,

You can pump you handle bars full of silicone for a few dollars. I've got about 5 OZ. in mine. Wal-Mart/Home Depot sales this stuff cheap. This will dampen out more of the vibs.

Philip

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wide load

Scott,

I'm thinking about trimming of an inch or so from each side of the handle bar. This will let me sit a little more up-right.

Philip

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, lots to say.

thanks for the info on the tabs phil. yeah, i figured the "liquid bar snake" is nothing more than something like silicone caulk. i may give it a shot. the vibes don't really bother me but less couldn't be worse :)

phil! WATCH OUT!! the controls take a lot of space laterally. i noticed that your clutch is already mounted on the curved part of your bars and sticks up a bit. before you cut them down more move everything in an inch and see if it all still fits. measure twice, cut once ;)

you're welcome for the pics. hi-res would be great. send them to my work e-mail where i have high speed access: [email protected]

NOW, update on the bars. i rode out to palomar mountain and back today with the new bars. in town, stop and go, freeway and twisties. maybe 125 miles or so. i managed to get rid of the front wheel twitch by raising the rear pre-load one notch from 3 to 4. guess the front is just a bit too stiff for the new riding position. now the whole bike is too stiff so i'll probably cut 1/8" off my pvc spacers and put the rear back to notch 3.

my back feels fine! at least as good as it did before the ride. i usually end up feeling stiff after about an hour but i was never stiff. i was riding and resting on and off for a total of 5 hours. i'm getting used to the extra sensitivity that comes from the extra inch of leverage and with the front end well planted again i like the feel. i think i'm even getting deeper into some turns.

overall the riding position feels just a smidgen more upright and it works just fine. the wider bars along with larger bar end weights makes the bike a bit wider which is noticeable when considering sharing/splitting lanes.

i'll give another report after i trim the pvc spacers and put on some more miles.

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Hey Scott did anyone ever tell you those O'neal handle bars cause you to have a striking resemblance to .....Ed O'neal or better known as the king......Al Bundy:laugh: :laugh:
Love the shirt man...way:cool:

·
9,811 Posts
Scott, you just don't understand Fade, that was supposed to "pump ya up man." The old guy means no harm, he's one "cool" dude, man. Tom :D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no worries tom, fade, i know yer just kiddin' :) but it's hard for me to hold up al bundy as a role model. i don't even own a tv and i only really use my couch as something to throw my backpack on when i get home. if i'm half as cool as fade by the time i'm his age i'll count it as my #1 accomplishment :)

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Ouch..................his age? Me or Al?:laugh: I think were one .:laugh:
Tom's right ...........Bundy's da man. He's living the american dream. 2 abusing children and a nagging wife that keeps him broke.:laugh: Al's true friend was Buck........makes sense to me I have 3 of those friends.
It's probably the drugs i'm on from my shoulder surgery and I was just seeing things ................or.........:smilewink
By the way the bars look cool ...............

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wide Load

Scott,

"phil! WATCH OUT!! the controls take a lot of space laterally. i noticed that your clutch is already mounted on the curved part of your bars and sticks up a bit. before you cut them down more move everything in an inch and see if it all still fits."

I noticed the same thing. Thought I'd slide the controls to the center and measure how much they moved before cutting. May have to find a more narrow bar...It's got to be blue!

Philip

1 - 20 of 25 Posts