RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider and I know how to adjust the chain as in the methods of tightening by removing the axle nut, etc. but how do you determine when it needs it? The book talks about measuring where there is either the most or least slack (I don't remember), but from where? I mean I have a feeling ours needs retensioning, but I don't have a clue as to how to measure how much or how little it needs to be done. It was supposed to be done when I took the bike in for the first service, but I have a feeling it wasn't. TIA. -Jamie

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Jamie,

Good question.

The sprockets to not wear perfectly round and over time will get oval shaped. When this happens as you spin the rear tire the chain slack gets a little tighter in one area than it does in another. Check the chain slack at a few points as you rotate the wheel to make sure you do not over tighten the chain. The book calls for a slack of 1.2 ~ 2.0 inches. Adjust it as close to 1.2 inches as possible.

Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this would be like running a straight edge from a bottom tangent line of the rear sprocket to the tranny sprocket (approx.) and measuring the 1.2-2 inches there? Good to know that you really do have to check in more than one place. Thanks.

·
Silver Member
154 Posts
Something to consider.

If you're a er...a....full figured gal like me...:), tightening the chain to the book specs can be a little too tight when you get on the bike. This can wear the chain out faster.

2 cents,
Bowman

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Jamie,

Earlier I said the sprockets get out of round, but I could be wrong about that. It could be the chain stretches unevenly.

Andy

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
More often it is the chain that streatches unevenly. It's caused by attempts at wheelies, burnouts and such because of the initial surge of power put to the chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts