RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the Castrol Syntec SAE 5w30 in my car (Z28). I was going to use synthetic oil in the bike after 3000 miles (per dealer recommendation) and was wandering if I could use the same SAE grade oil in the bike. I can't remember the proper weight the bike requires right now, but what's the difference between SAE type oil, and the SG the manual recommends?

thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Engine Oil

Max, Sae or Society of Automotive engineers is a measure of the viscosity. The manual recommends 10w-40, 10w-50, 20w-40 or 20w-50. The SG is the API ( American Petroleum Institute ) service rating for the oil. It is a measure of the oils performance, The most current rating is SJ. So any oil that meets the SJ will meet or exceed API SE, SF, SG and SH. These are the other ratings the book specifies. So your Castrol is ok as long as it meets the viscosity rating and the API service class. The 5w-30 you use in the Z-28 is too light. The air cooled motor like a little heaver oil. I use a product called Royal Purple Racing 51. It a high performace full synthetic that has a 15w-50 rating. Since I ride in mostly hot weather it performs well. Hope this helped. Dont get sold on the motorcyle oil is diferent stuff....Also the "s" in the SG means that the oil is rated for Gas engines as compared to "c" that is rated for diesels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in cetral Georgia. Would the Castrol SAE 20w50 be OK? I'm not quite sure which weight is better for warmer climates. Also, how do I now if the Castrol SAE meets the SJ requirements?

thanks again.

·
Registered
660 Posts
In the USA Castrol Syntec meets SL, SJ standards. As does their GTX brand.

Oddly enough, their motorcycle oils only meet SG standards.

Kawasaki specs recomend SE, SF or SG class oils. SE and SF have both been retired so I doubt you will be able to find a motor oil on a store shelf that does not at least meet SG standards.

If you do frequent oil changes the Castrol GTX is probably one of the best values around.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oil change

Best regards team:

I just did my first oil change last weekend...!

I went with CASTROL GTX 20-50 (red cap). The oil filter was a Purolator. Got the filter at "Pep-Boys" and oil at Wal-Mart. So far no difference in performance. Hope that oil will work OK in the ZR-7.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
You don't happen to have the part number for that filter, do you? (I'm assuming you're talking about oil change on your bike). I'm sure the Purolator part is much cheaper than the $8 or so bucks at the Kawi dealer.

Emrah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts