RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.
Two week s ago I got a used 97 Bandit 600.
The first thing I noticed was a scratch on the left side engine cover and the guy told me that the bike has fallen once but the damage was just cosmetic since the crash guard took most of the blow. Well for the last few days the bike has been developing a very slight oil leak. At first I thought that it comes from the oil cooler houses where they enter the oil cooler pan underneath the bike. Although there is a slight oil leak from there (and when I say slight I mean maybe one drop every 24 hours) today I finally found where most of the oil I see on the ground comes from. There is a veeery slight crack on the left side engine cover and when the bike is hot, oil oozes from it, down the cover and collects in to a drop on the bottom part of the frame. I went to the local repair garage and the guy told me that it could be easily fixed by welding it shut. For that however they will have to take the cover off, which means that when they put it back on will have also to replace the seal. Now the problem with that is that where I am (Mexico), parts like seals, gasket, carb rebuild kits (which I also need), are very hard to find. Now my question is, can somebody here recommend me a temporary easy fix, to seal the crack where the oil is leaking from, while I am trying to locate the necessary parts for a proper fix?
Cheers!

·
Registered
39 Posts
super simple
JB WELD light coat

BLACK RTV SILICONE FOR A GASKET PERMATEX BAND

dont waste the cash on a new gasket takes too long to get and too can sometimes cost a ridiculous amount

i had some issues with my flywheel or starter clutch whatever word you prefer and had to take the side cover off a few times soooo PERMATEX that bad boy

i hear of some people putting a light coat of JB weld on the inside of the cover this mmakes for a bettter visual appearance

anyone can yell at me if they disagree with the jb weld on the inside

ie side effects??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I will take both of your advices in to consideration.
The problem with buying a new cover is that I am located in Mexico and most sellers will not ship to Mexico or if they do, shipping could be more than the part itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow Eskimomann209, I just looked at the JB Weld website and if all that it's written there is true that is a great product and most importantly, available here in Mexico.
Thanks again. I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it turned out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh and one more thing, do I need to use any particular technique of application??
Make sure the surface you're applying the JB Weld to is clean and oil-free. This will ensure proper adhesion. I do feel that a replacement part is the right direction but if you can't get it shipped, then you have to make do. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes there are pretty good directions on the package
be sure to scuff up the site with sand paper this helps the bonding process also its a two part product you MUST mix them for the product to work as intended

just take your time and make it look decent!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts