RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about bike repair, I hope someone can help me with this. Last fall when I was getting my bike ready for winter something went horribly wrong. After I added the stabil to the fuel I was letting it run for a bit and I think I may have let it run for too long, my bike started to kind of spray oil, when it is sitting right after running it looks like oil is dripping from the exhuast on the bottom of the bike, it doest seem to leak when the bike hasn't been running, only immediately after running. I'm not sure if it is ok to even ride to a mechanic, I don't want to do any more damage than I have already. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If there is sufficient oil in the bike start it up and let it reach operating temperature. Pay attention while it is warming up to see if you can detect where the leak is coming from. If you can find the source of the leak, then you can either fix it yourself or have a professional take care of it. You don't want to ride the bike anywhere if there is a continuous flow of oil coming out as it could seize the engine or make the rear tire slick and possibly cause a wipeout. My .02

·
Registered
417 Posts
Stabili added in the fuel tank in proper amount should not cause any problems, even if you run it until tank is empty. Oil leak must be related to something else, but as mentioned you have to pay attention where is coming from. If you say 'spraying', that is really bad. If you say 'leak', it may not be so bad. Just look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, I started it up and let it run for a couple min, as soon as it warmed up the only place I could see oil coming from is where the exhaust comes together at the bottom of the bike, right under the rear brake, then it started to smoke so i turned it off. I couldn't see it coming out of the engine anywhere, I got as far under the bike as I could and looked at it from every angle but thats all I could see. Would overheating cause anything like that? Oh and it's a 99 Bandit 1200 if that helps.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is it really oil? Is not condensation? Is there a hole at the bottom of the exhaust? Sure is not dripping from somewhere else? Oil should not be in the exhaust, unless piston rings, and or valves seals are passing. Usually you also get bluish smoke. I know when Suzuki revised the B12 in 2001 it had oil consumption problems that were resolved, but your's is a '99. How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Does it leak after a ride? Even assuming the cylinders are throwing oil in the exhaust, how is it leaking out without being blown as smoke? The exhaust headers, collector, and can are pretty much exposed. It's got to be easy spotting where is coming out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had a bad leak on mine-turned out to be the crush washer that was not replaced when the oil was changed-dealer I got the part from said has to be replaced everytime the oil drain plug is removed. Its a 1 to 2 $ part, but it sounds like the drain plug is to far foward to be the problem you're having!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts