RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(
My sweet blue baby has sprung a leak...a small one, but nevertheless a leak....:mecry:

The front left plug/cap on the top end...the little "U" shaped object on the valve head cover...it is "weeping" a little oil, not much, but enough for a stickler like me to notice...;)

I was out riding when I noticed and stopped by the dealer....he said it was covered by warranty...he said not to worry, it is common on the old air-cooled motors.....sometimes the material gets hard with age and doesn't seat properly....it will save me some money on the valve adjustment, because I will not have to pay for the teardown...they have to do it to take care of the warranty work, so I'll get the valve work done at the same time and save some money ($$$$$)....

This bike is fantastic! :D It springs a very minor leak and saves me money....It must have ESP or something....something bad turns out to be good! :laugh:

Pete

:angel: :angel:

·
3,610 Posts
How many miles before you hit the leak. This way I can calculate when I should get mine done for free! Woohoo, a loophole has emerged! Now we just have to beat the hell out of that plug and then we get our valves done for free....until the warranty runs out that is.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
one of mine cracked at about 5000 miles, no leak thankfully. i had the dealer replace all 4 at the 6000 mile service to be safe. as a precaution get your service person to replace these every time they pull the valve cover. they're supposed to do that but sometimes they reuse them.

scott :)

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stan.....I've got about 4500 miles on my baby.....they're still gonna charge me for the valve work, but I won't have to pay for the tear down and build up for the valve covers, since they have to take it apart to replace the plugs/caps......should be about $50-$100 cheaper for the valve job...thank gawd!

I had an old 1976 Honda CB500T (my first street bike) that had the same problem...of course it wasn't under warranty, and I just had to keep an eye on it....no matter how many times it was replaced, it still seeped a little bit.....I guess that was probably a quality control issue with that paticular bike.....

Ride Safe All!

Pete
:cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the leak is from the half circle rubber plug where the valve cover meets the cylinder head. There are two on each side. They seal up the hole that is left when the camshaft "bearing" surfaces are machined.
I've had a similar problem in a Mazda and sealed it up with a bit of silastic around the edges of the plug. A Kawasaki dealer told me that the plugs are supposed to be changed every time the valve cover is removed but his dealership reuses them once with the silastic treatment to save customers some money as apparantly, like most Kawasaki parts, they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
they are pretty pricey. i just checked the receipt for my last service and the cost was US$67 for all four. kinda explains why the service cost more than i expected. seems really pricey for four little bits of rubber :(

i'll probably continue to get them changed at each service; i hate down time. also, it took them four or five days to get the plugs at the dealer.

scott :)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Before I did my valve adjustment, the right side sprung a leak on my bike. Since the shop didn't have a valve cover gasket, I had to reuse mine. When I reassembled after adjustment, I used "never seize" on the original gasket and the rubber pieces after I wiped them clean. So there's a proven alternative if you need one. Although, over time and exposure, they will need to be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts