RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Oil Leak on left-side chain cover

Tags
chain leak oil zr7
5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  lpscruggs 
#1 ·
Hello,

My ZR-7 sprung a leak recently on the chain cover where the bolt goes into the engine. I have attached a photo with an arrow pointing to this exact bolt.

It appears to be leaking about 1 to 2 drops per hour (sitting not running). The rate increased from 1-2 drops per day after a 400mi ride last weekend.

I'm looking at the parts diagram and I don't really see a replaceable gasket that the bolt goes through. http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2000-kawasaki-zr-7-zr750f/o/m149510#sch62314

Has anyone else had this leak? Should I just back the bolt out, apply some liquid gasket and tighten it back up?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I find it odd there's oil coming from there. That is just a bolt that holds on the chain cover and doesn't go into the engine / transmission compartment at all. Add to it the oil level should not be that high in the case even if if did go thru. I'd take the bolt out and see what's going on. When you do reinstall it make sure you torque it appropriately.

Reactions: carryall
#5 ·
Like Obo said, it's just a chain cover and none of those bolts hold in oil. I would first check around the top side of the cover for a leak from either the air box or even the carb over the top of it, dripping down on to it, or near it. Then you could pull that chain cover and look inside and clean all the excess chain lube and gunk and see what's in there.

#6 ·
I get a little oil dripping on to that area of the casing.
it comes out the corner of the airbox when on the side stand

#7 ·
First thing is to get it clean. then go for a short run and if theres oil trace it. If you still have problem located the source, wash it again, dry it off and then cover the area with talcum powder. This makes it easier to spot the leak (and you bike will smell better ..at least until you start up).

Shakens comment is valid. Theres a little hose which drains from the right side of the air-filter box, this leads to a drain bottle on the right side.. This drain bottle has a stopper on the end. This needs to be checked and if there-oil then it needs to be drained.

rgds
Anil

#8 ·
Just a thought, you're not running a scottoiler or other chain luber are you? excessive chain oiling will fling oil into the cover area but normally that would leak out near the side stand.

take the cover off, investigate and clean. and like has been said check the airbox for oil and clean/drain if necessary.

#9 ·
Thanks to all that replied. I finally got a chance to take a closer look. Those who suggested the airbox is leaking oil are correct. There's a lot. I feel silly for not shining a flashlight down there to see that it was actually dripping down.

I plan on following a nice DIY video I found to drain that oil catch cup. The video mentions that over-filling the oil can cause more oil in the airbox and thinking back, this leak started shortly after I did my first oil change (filled to the top of the line).

While I have the air filter out I may as well clean that too. Any pointers? Keep in mind I'm in an apartment building and spilling caustic chemicals is frowned upon. Luckily my parking spot was already covered in old oil, so no harm done :~

#10 ·
As long as it's not a paper filter (or the foam is falling apart) you can clean it with soapy water and let it air dry, then re-oil it lightly and reinstall. If it's heavily oiled you can soak the old oil off with paper towel, old rags etc and dispose of them responsibly. (You don't want lots of oil polluting the waste water system.) Alternatively you can purchase a new filter (they are usually reasonably priced) and again lightly oil it per the service manual and install.

#13 ·
Never check your oil level using the side stand. You'll be way over filled! As for the noise, Anilv is correct in that it could be your tensioner is almost ready to adjust soon on it's own. It's automatic and a very good one at that. Don't worry about it. These bikes are a bit noisy compared to some because of the valve train also. One thing to check is your exhaust pipe collar nuts tho. They are notorious for loosening up over time and make the noise worse.

Reactions: shakennstirred
#14 ·
just as an aside. Look in the owners manual and check under "routine Maintenance" and it spells out exactly how to check the oil level. If you don't have one order one or pick one up through Ebay. The owners manual is one of the most handy and least used things out there. Just saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.