RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed an oil leak from the weap hole in the center of the picture. I assume it is the water pump oil seal, but there is also something called a "mechanical seal" in that area. Anybody know which one it is?

002 (600x800).jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
I replaced the mechanical seal on mine earlier this year. Oil leaking from the same hole. It no longer leaks.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally, somebody answered. Thanks Youngster! I already ordered both seals and the o-rings so I should be good to go.

So, have you caught up with me on miles? I'm at 85,600. Other than the fuel pump, this is the first problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nope & won't even get close now, 78945 miles. I bought a new Suzuki GSX 1250 FA 2 days ago. Keeping the 650r for those bad weather & wild hair up rear end days.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yea McRider, its the "mechanical Seal" there is a secondary seal behind that on the engine side of the cover. Had to replace mine aswell. Hope all worked out!
Damn, 85k!!! thats insane. I have 36k and I'm still enjoying every mile, glad to read theres a lot of life left!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which one on this picture pls. I have replaced 49063, that one is marked as "mechanical seal", and oil is still leaking. Thanks

er6nwatterpump.png

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil seal is 92049. I suggest you replace it and the O-ring 92055B. Make sure you clean all the surfaces inside that well that the seal goes in, and that the small hole visible in the above diagram at the bottom of the well is clear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine has started to leak just a little bit as well. I've got 35k on mine so I guess it's not too bad.

Are these the only parts I will need? 49063, 92049, and 92055B?

What about the main seal, 92055A? Or 92055?

Also, I'm guessing I will lose my coolant when I pull this apart, but what about my oil? Should I wait until I need to change it again?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are leaking oil, you need 92049 and 92055B. If you are leaking coolant, you need 49063 and 92055. However, since you are already inside the water pump, you might consider replacing all those parts. The mechanical seal is the most expensive, but still only $13 or so. There is also another o-ring that is not shown in the above diagram. It goes around the entire edge of the water pump cover. Chances are the original one is still good.

You will need to drain the coolant, but you don't have to lose it if you save it to a clean container. if you put the bike on the sidestand, you will not lose any oil.

Interesing note: in the Versys forum they seem to be having a lot of problems with the mechanical seal. There are even reports of them leaking on the showroom floor. However, it's the same engine, so go figure.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
If you are leaking oil, you need 92049 and 92055B. If you are leaking coolant, you need 49063 and 92055. However, since you are already inside the water pump, you might consider replacing all those parts. The mechanical seal is the most expensive, but still only $13 or so. There is also another o-ring that is not shown in the above diagram. It goes around the entire edge of the water pump cover. Chances are the original one is still good.

You will need to drain the coolant, but you don't have to lose it if you save it to a clean container. if you put the bike on the sidestand, you will not lose any oil.

Interesing note: in the Versys forum they seem to be having a lot of problems with the mechanical seal. There are even reports of them leaking on the showroom floor. However, it's the same engine, so go figure.
Not sure where the Ninja 650 is being assembled but the Versys is being assembled in Thailand. On my '11 Versys I smell a little coolant smell after a ride but the level has not dropped at all in 16500 miles. No issues so far except blowing out all the O rings during my big ride this past summer. If this X ring chain only lasts 15,000 miles it will be time for a driveshaft on the next adventure style bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my '11 ninja, with a mere 4,700 miles, it has been in the shop five times for coolant/oil leaks in this same area. It's now going in for the sixth time. Many a seals have been replaced. It was happenng before the warranty expired, so the shop keeps working it. And I'm going to keep taking it to them until they get it right. Wankers. I relish seeing them cringe when I walk through the door. I only hope it drives them to fix it properly this time. Always the optimist...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On my '11 ninja, with a mere 4,700 miles, it has been in the shop five times for coolant/oil leaks in this same area. It's now going in for the sixth time. Many a seals have been replaced. It was happenng before the warranty expired, so the shop keeps working it. And I'm going to keep taking it to them until they get it right. Wankers. I relish seeing them cringe when I walk through the door. I only hope it drives them to fix it properly this time. Always the optimist...
My first repair started leaking right away also. Then I did what I described five posts above and it stopped. That small hole must be clear.

·
Registered
705 Posts
just done mine replaced both seals and all the o rings, with my luck which ever one I reused would go bad the nex day. As soon as the wx clears will see how it turned out

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hope you have better luck than me. I was leaking a tiny bit of oil and changed all of the seals and orings. Now I don't leak any oil, but I am leaking coolant. Figures...

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Love this thread, time to replace my seals and I know all the part numbers thanks to you guys. Going to replace everything like mcrider recommended since I'm in there. Will order parts Monday along with maybe some new brake pass depending on price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2006 Kawasaki 650R - Water Pump Leak

Uhg, looks like I'm gonna have to bust in to my water pump. 2006 Kawasaki 650R with less than 4000 miles on it. It's been sitting in storage for about 2 yrs. Took the fairings off to detail it and found this... WaterPump Leak1.jpg WaterPump leak2.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Ninja 650 with less than 1000 mi on it. There is a small amount of oil leaking from my water pump weep hole. After pulling things apart, I can see that the water pump impeller shaft is slightly pitted and rusty where the oil seal makes contact. This probably chewed the oil seal and is causing my leak. Is there any way to fix this other than opening the engine and replacing the shaft? I've read some people have tried sanding the rust down with emery cloth, starting with 320 grit and working up to 600 grit. Seems like it would still leak if there is pitting on the shaft. One person mention filling the pits with epoxy, then sanding down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I now have a small leak at ~20k, good thing track season is over. Well, that and I have the ZX6R. I was waiting to do oil and coolant changes until after the last track day so now is a good time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts