RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get some feedback when it comes to oil filter tightening.

What I am curious of is the method used when tightening a new oil filter (during an oil change - using either OEM or aftermarket oil filter).

Do you:

1) Hand tighten the oil filter only
2) Hand tighten and torque filter (using torque wrench w/ oilfilter cup/wrench attachment)
3) Use only a wrench and no torque

Appreciate all the feedback in advance.

Ride Safe!
KawaKlaus :yoda:

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
•Apply engine oil to the gasket [A] before installation.
•Tighten the filter with the oil filter wrench.
Torque - Oil Filter: 17.2 N·m (1.75 kgf·m, 13 ft·lb)
NOTE
○Hand tightening of the oil filter can not be allowed since
it does not reach to this tightening torque.
I recently switched to the K&N filters that have the fitting on the end for the torque wrench. Makes life a lot easier. D2Moto.com has some good sale prices if you sign up for their email list. Every few months they will have storewide 40% off sales are are actual sales and not some hyped up sale.

I guess the problem with hand tightening is that one guy might be able to apply 13 ft-lb, but another might not.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
For me it depends how lazy I'm feeling. Generally I know I should use a torque wrench so I do. But sometimes I've forgotten the wrench in the house somewhere and I'm too lazy to go get it so I just hand tighten.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hand tighten only. Tried torqueing to recomennded torque but it is way to tight. Kawasaki's KYA syndrome. Have not had any leaks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I do it handtight and have done over 25 oil changes on my bike with no problems. when doing the next oil change, hand tight is more than enough tightness to keep the oil filter on.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i hand tighten all my filters in all my vehicles...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I always hand tighten... I have on all of my vehicles for the past 17 years, cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors, and have never had a single problem. I think that people that dont know any better, just over think everything....

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hand tighten on all vehicles,no problems and this includes a drag boat using straight 50W oil with no bypass in the block so pressure on a cold start is 80 psi or better and volume is 70% higher than a conventional motor. :alcy:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yep, always lube the new filter's o-ring with oil.

I hand tighten my oil filters, then use a wrench to go 1/8 turn more. I have done it for 30+ years with never a problem.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Well, looks like I have been out voted.

My reason for using a torque wrench is because I used to break stuff by over tightening. Guess that comes from doing a lot of physical work.

Especially all those inch-lbs fasteners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, looks like I have been out voted.

My reason for using a torque wrench is because I used to break stuff by over tightening. Guess that comes from doing a lot of physical work.

Especially all those inch-lbs fasteners.
Thank you for responding.
Looks like the majority of fellow riders prefer a combination of hand tightening and/or hand tightening + using a wrench to go another 1/8 turn.
That is really good info/feedback.
I think it comes down to personal preference. Meaning that one might instinctively know how much hand tightening is "just" right, while another starts with hand tightening the filter and finishes the task with a giving it a snug extra 1/8 turn. Or chooses the third preference - the use of a torque wrench to tighten the oil filter to the oil filter maker’s spec for the bike.
So folks, here you have it. No wrong answer here. Just a personal choice from three possibilities.
All in all, great feedback, great discussion and lots to learn for all the new riders who enjoy reading and learning.
Ride Safe!
KawaKlaus

·
Registered
256 Posts
I do it handtight and have done over 25 oil changes on my bike with no problems. when doing the next oil change, hand tight is more than enough tightness to keep the oil filter on.
I think 25 oil changes at 13,000 miles is a little much, even half of 25 is still too high. Do you take it to the track a lot?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Why wouldn't you use the torque wrench to tighten the oil filter? You should already have it out to tighten the drain plug, and you definately want to use a torque wrench on the drain plug.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
You should already have it out to tighten the drain plug, and you definately want to use a torque wrench on the drain plug.
That is a very true statement. I have read too many posts about folks damaging the threads on the oil pan from over tightening. Torque wrench prevents that from happening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts