RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oil cooler fan for kawasaki Zr-7 1999
Has anyone applied this modification to their motorcycle?

My Z gets a little warm when I walk around the city with a lot of traffic

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
The altenators on the bikes don't have a lot of excess so I'm guessing that, combined with the fact they are primarily air cooled, is the reason. You certainly could add in a fan but would likely have to do a couple of smaller computer type fans - but they'd have to be able to withstand the heat and moisture for those rainy days. You'd also have to put in a thermo sensor somewhere or a manual switch as well as a relay on a switched power supply as to not drain the battery when the bike was off if the switch was turned / left on.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Correct.

The oil cooler only picks up the heat from the wet clutch. Only device in the ZR-7 that is oil cooled. The ZR-7 engine is PROPERLY cooled by air and does not need anything else.
The wet clutch and the engine share the oil, so there is a cooling effect indirectly. It's not the primary cooling method, but if it wasn't needed they wouldn't have put it in at all and saved a few $$.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Correct.

The oil cooler only picks up the heat from the wet clutch. Only device in the ZR-7 that is oil cooled. The ZR-7 engine is PROPERLY cooled by air and does not need anything else.
Yes, the engine is air-cooled. but the oil cooler cools the engine oil which helps the engine stay reliable.
As they got more power out the engine they needed to add the cooler, first being a small 2in and later engines went to a 4in .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts