RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a badly modded (carb pods, etc.) 2000 ZR-7 for pretty cheap a while back - it's taken a while for me to get it to stop bogging. I'm an old hand at working on cars, but very new to working on bikes... So I changed the oil for the second time since I've had it. 10w40 (I figured it wouldn't matter if it's "high mileage" - did I screw up?). Now, it won't turn over. Tries to start. Any help anyone can give me?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Try to wiggle the key a bit and see if it helps..also the sidestand switch and clutch switch at the lever.

If still no start check for spark.

Did you mess with anything else while changing the oil?

Anilv

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Just changing the oil should have no effect on starting. There's something else at play. It could be as Anilv said, key, bike not in neutral, kickstand switch, clutch switch, the run/stop switch on the handgear on the throttle side, or even a bad battery / poor battery connection.

When you say "it won't turn over. tries to start" do you mean the starter works but it won't start and run, or that even the starter won't do anything?

·
Registered
385 Posts
These bikes are getting old, and always, specially if they have been sitting for a while, would require refreshening if not a downright restoration. As old as they are, even stock, they would be quicker than most cars and is always better leaving them the way came from factory, not butchering them pursuing hot-rod myths.

...what I would do is not assume this is a cheap bike ready to ride, but instead try returning it back to stock, indluding carbs parts, air box, and exhaust. I may skip the fresh air injection system (anti-polution), but would the rest, including check valve clearances, and then see what gives..

·
Registered
853 Posts
Check the "basics" first air, fuel, spark. Air is simple, is there fuel flowing to the carbs, Check to see if the float bowls are full. Then pull a spark plug cap and slip a plug into it ground it to the head and crank it over. Any spark ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll post back after I try a few things. I've been riding the bike for a while - as I mentioned, this is the second oil change that I've done. Thank you all.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Something I just thought of. Check to make sure that the vacuum pulse hose that operates the ON position on your fuel petcock is good. It might have cracked and if so you will not get a vacuum signal to operate and open the petcock. Try the Prime position and see if that helps. just a thought.

·
Gold Member
562 Posts
Something I just thought of. Check to make sure that the vacuum pulse hose that operates the ON position on your fuel petcock is good. It might have cracked and if so you will not get a vacuum signal to operate and open the petcock. Try the Prime position and see if that helps. just a thought.
I was going to say something similar. The fuel petcock has a vacuum line attached to it that allows it to open when vacuum is applied. If, say, the hose split or was knocked off, the petcock would be off. Prime mode bypasses the vacuum need, and will allow fuel to get to the carbs.

Is it cranking at normal speed, or slower due to a weak battery? If the cranking amperage is low, there may not be enough to fire the ignition properly. Pull a spark plug and see if it's dry or wet. Dry likely means no fuel, while wet would mean flooded, perhaps due to weak spark. As lpscruggs said, back to basics. Air, fuel, spark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts