RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off, thanks Magnum for the great tutorial! Now my questions. I don't have any stands so hopefully I'll be ok. My bike is a 2008 but only had 241 miles when I got it. The original owner (and the manual verifies this) said that the first scheduled change was 600 miles. However I'm not real keen on the idea of running 2 + year old oil regardless of the mileage. Is this safe thinking on my part or should I just wait until the 600 miles. Also I was planning on running Mobil 1 4T syn but I've heard many people say to run dyno for the first couple of oil changes to allow the rings to fully seat. Is this crazy or would I be better off just putting the OEM Kawachem oil in for the first one or two changes. Sorry to come off as such a newbie (I've been changing the oil in my autos since I was 16) but this is my first bike and I want to do everything right. Oh yeah, when do I need to lube my chain and what's the best cleaner and lube to use.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1st off, thanks Magnum for the great tutorial! Now my questions. I don't have any stands so hopefully I'll be ok. My bike is a 2008 but only had 241 miles when I got it. The original owner (and the manual verifies this) said that the first scheduled change was 600 miles. However I'm not real keen on the idea of running 2 + year old oil regardless of the mileage. Is this safe thinking on my part or should I just wait until the 600 miles. Also I was planning on running Mobil 1 4T syn but I've heard many people say to run dyno for the first couple of oil changes to allow the rings to fully seat. Is this crazy or would I be better off just putting the OEM Kawachem oil in for the first one or two changes. Sorry to come off as such a newbie (I've been changing the oil in my autos since I was 16) but this is my first bike and I want to do everything right. Oh yeah, when do I need to lube my chain and what's the best cleaner and lube to use.
If it were me, I'd change the 2 yr old oil immediately. For the first 2 oil changes I'd use OEM oil. I plan on changing to full syn at my 3rd oil change.

I clean my chain with WD-40 and a rag every 300-500 miles and coat it with Dupont Teflon Multi Purpose spray. I do this after a wash and a short ride. I let the spray soak in for a night before a ride.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i agree with dude-: change the oil. as for the chain, every 400-500 miles i clean mine with kerosene (per MOM), then lube with the dupont teflon. seems to be doin' ok after 12,500 miles. i adjusted it once, then it was adjusted at 9,900 miles when i put on new tires. i am cleaning/lubing and checking the slack a little later this afternoon. i just got in from a 100-mile ride.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Yes I would agree that your oil should be changes do to age. Synthetic oil is fine at any mileage interval and Mobil Racing 4T is a really good oil. What needs to be remembered is that synthetic oil isn't more slippery as opposed to dino oil it simply stays "in grade" longer and doesn't breakdown as quickly. Another less expensive alternative is Shell Rotella T synthetic.

Ducati and several other manufactures put 100% full syn in all their new motors with no ill effect. You will be fine as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on what y'all are saying I'll definitely be changing the oil this weekend. I'm also going to clean/lube the chain (even though it will be a pain without a stand!) just to put my mind at ease. I don't have any kerosene so what is your opinion on using WD40 to clean and then put a chain lube on? I found some Liquid Wrench chain lube that says it's safe for o-rings that I'll probably use unless anyone can tell me reasons not to. I know it's probably not the best but I plan on checking/lubing the chain pretty regularly so I thought it should be ok. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
371 Posts
theres big debates on wd40. imo, dont use it. it removes grease. kerosene/paraffin/diesel/dedicated chain cleaners are better.

Last time i cleaned mine i used diesel then some oil. checking it more often than usual to apply castrol chain wax.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I clean well with WD-40 and then lube with Chain Wax. I do that after riding so the carriers can evaporate out of the wax. It's worked well for my dirt and pave bikes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just took my lunch break and ran to the dealer for oil/filter. Had the filter and washer but no oil. I had decided to run dyno for the first change and then switch to mobil 1 just to ease my mind about the piston rings. After that I went by the Advance Auto and picked up some Valvoline motorcycle oil and a filter wrench. Also since my sportbars are on the way I went ahead and bought a brake bleeder and some brake fluid. The only DOT 4 they had was a Valvoline DOT 3/DOT 4 synthetic that I hope will be ok. I think I have some kersosene or lamp oil at home that I can use to clean my chain but if not I'll probably just use WD40 sparingly followed by the Liquid Wrench chain lube.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Get the DuPont Teflon lube. Much less mess than pretty much anything else.

Like everyone else said, used oil has a shelf life. Contaminants will make it acidic over time.

As far as I remember, dino should be changed every 3 months and synth every 6 if you're not reaching the mileage limit for changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts