RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend oil and an oil filter for an '09 650R? I am planning on changing my oil for the first time this weekend and have no idea what to get. I dont think I want to switch to synthetic quite yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use castrol from Walmart in my 07. 10W-40. The filters are a pain to find around here so I usually order 6 at a time off of ebay for about 30 bucks. Im at school right now or Id tell ya the fram filter number but its at home. If you want it message me and Ill get it to you in a few hours.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Rotella T6 synthetic (don't have a dino oil to recommend)
Walmart supertech filter (ST7317 I believe)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I used Kawasaki and Castrol 10-40 motorcycle oil for the first two oil changes for break in. Then I switched over to Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic.

As for filters, I use :

Mobil M1-110
Mobil M1-108 ( the 110 is a bit longer = holds more oil)
Walmart supertech ST7317

You can also use a K&N KN-204 (has a built-in nut on the end)

Edit: The WalMart SuperTech is made by Champion.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Oil: Rotella T6 5W-40 @ Walmart
Filter: Purolator PureONE PL14610(longer filter) @ Advance

Advance always has coupon codes so I stack up on filters for my cars also.

·
Registered
615 Posts
K&N 303 filter. It's made for Yamahas but the only difference is it is a little bit longer. Little extra flow never hurt nothin'.

I use Shell rotella T6.

Oil is something nobody agrees on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have another question about the oil. I know I am supposed to stay away from some type of energy saving oil, but what tells be if it is energy saving or not. I see some say sae and some do not, is that what that means?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes and just to be safe make sure to get motorcycle oil. Advanced is having a deal right now in store. Valvoline motorcycle oil is buy one get one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
why does it matter to get motorcycle oil? Also, can someone tell me which is better to run in hot weather, 5w30 or 10w40? I just put 5w30 synthetic in my bike cause I live in SC but then someone told me if I lived in warmer climate I should run 10w40 instead...

·
Registered
20 Posts
A lot of car oils have friction modifiers, which affect the functioning of your wet clutch.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here is a great write-up on reg auto oil v. motorcycle specific oils that was posted in another thread: http://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

You can see the words "energy conserving" or similar on the back of the bottle. I currently use Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil. I figure it's cheap insurance since I'm planning on putting a whole lot of miles on the bike (It has 8357 miles on it since purchased new in Oct '10)

Last oil change I switched to the SuperTech filter after reading about oil filters. Much cheaper and made by Champion.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I saw mention of FRAM filters... Here is a good link, OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Introduction

I wouldn't put a fram oil filter on my lawnmower. They break down on the cardboard ends tat are glued on and bypass. Everyone else crimps on the filter media. Everyone except fram. I cut open filters inspect them when I change oil and couldn't believe how shoddy they are made. I found several that had come apart and had not been filtering the oil at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts