RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well,I read about it and was going to adjust but never got around to it..I had the MS hard bags on my bike with the ghost brackets and 6mm bolts....well I lost the entire bag today..bolt snapped and the whole bag came off with the bracket..I didnt even know till I got home..On top of that,,I cant remove the snapped bolt from the strut......

·
Registered
357 Posts
Left handed 3mm drill bit. Best if you can find a 135 degree split point. Like a hot knife going into butter.
If no luck finding one PM me with your address and I'll send you one.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I thought about the same thing. If I do add some bags, I will drill up to a 8-10mm bolt. And always use a grade 8 bolt for things you care about.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Left handed 3mm drill bit. Best if you can find a 135 degree split point. Like a hot knife going into butter.
If no luck finding one PM me with your address and I'll send you one.
Thanks very much,,but too late,,I tried drilling it out,,almost got through,,bit broke..now I have a broken bit and half out bolt...the front part of the snapped bolt is out but the back is still in there,,,so what I did was cut down the original bolt so it doesnt have to go all the way in,,,temp fix for now untill I cool down..

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what other products are out there as far as quick release,,aside from Ghost and easy brackets?I seem to recall one with a bag holder to keep bags from hitting the bike, and thumb screws, for quick release,cant remember where,,

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Those are the only 2 name brands I know of. Both recommend the 8mm bolts though as they push the bags further out and put even more shear stress on the bolts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
And always use a grade 8 bolt for things you care about.
Plus 1

If you stay metric use a 10.9 also don't use any type of lock washer they are nothing but junk. Use harden double flat washers, one on the head side and one on the nut side with a metal locking nut, not nylon.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IDEAS

so after I take care of the bolt issue,today, I realize that when the bag flew off, it must have hit my rear turn signal and crack the black plastic part.so I have two options,,,put back the stock set up or now have an opportunity to put a new rear set up,,light,licence etc....any ideas...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I install new bags using the saddle supports,,can I use the stock bolts or will I still have to redrill for 8mm bolts?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
If you have the kawasaki accessory strut covrers then they use the larger bolts. If you use the stock fender strut covers you need the bigger bolts or the same thing will happen.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have the kawasaki accessory strut covrers then they use the larger bolts. If you use the stock fender strut covers you need the bigger bolts or the same thing will happen.
Im a little concerned with redrilling the steel,,anybody have any issues with doing that..just re tapping to 8mm,,what about matching the threads or whatever?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thinking...can I re tap for 8mm and still use stock strut covers,,and enlarge the holes on them also?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Im a little concerned with redrilling the steel,,anybody have any issues with doing that..just re tapping to 8mm,,what about matching the threads or whatever?

You don't need to retap the threads, open the hole then use the bolts needed to complete the job. Are you mounting the bags back on?

Fasteners is what I do for a living, If you use a black flat, allen or button head bolt then you just went to a 12.9 grade fastener.

If no one can see the bolt and it doesn't have to be flat then just use a grade 8 Bolts have marks on head to id the bolt. SAE is, 3 marks is a grade 5 and 5 marks is a grade 8. If you stay metric then use a 10.9 it will say 10.9 on the head of the bolt.

Make sure you use a prevailing torque lock nut and not a nylon. Also lube the bolt with anti-seize, this will allow great clamping force.

Tighten from the nut side and not the head of the bolt.
Here is the specs for sae bolts.

http://www.raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't need to retap the threads, open the hole then use the bolts needed to complete the job. Are you mounting the bags back on?

Fasteners is what I do for a living, If you use a black flat, allen or button head bolt then you just went to a 12.9 grade fastener.

If no one can see the bolt and it doesn't have to be flat then just use a grade 8 Bolts have marks on head to id the bolt. SAE is, 3 marks is a grade 5 and 5 marks is a grade 8. If you stay metric then use a 10.9 it will say 10.9 on the head of the bolt.

Make sure you use a prevailing torque lock nut and not a nylon. Also lube the bolt with anti-seize, this will allow great clamping force.

Tighten from the nut side and not the head of the bolt.
Here is the specs for sae bolts.

http://www.raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

Good luck.
yes Im going to put bags back on at some point..
so your saying to open up the holes(remove threads) and use nuts and bolts instead of threading...I dont think you can do that because you cannot access the back of the cover in order to hold a nut,,you can only access the one closest to the rear,the front one is completely closed underneath the chrome...

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Wha? You drill through the strut cover AND strut. The nut goes inside the fender, not inbetween the strut and strut cover.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wha? You drill through the strut cover AND strut. The nut goes inside the fender, not inbetween the strut and strut cover.
the bolts that attatch the strut cover to the strut dont go through the fender,there are 2 other bolts that hold the strut to the fender

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Then you'd have 2 new holes. Drill and tap it as originally mentioned if you don't want to put extra holes in there.

·
Registered
674 Posts
the bolts that attatch the strut cover to the strut dont go through the fender,there are 2 other bolts that hold the strut to the fender
Just pm'd you about your problem. Get back to me.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts