RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My own stupid mistake just lead to me breaking off my left mirror on my brand new 650R. I was attempting to use a brand new rear stand I purchased off Ebay and when I went to prop it up.....the BIKE FELL!!!

I ran to the closest dealer and fortunately the guy had a set of mirrors. Not wanting to pay them to do it, I got home and can't figure out how to install it. Looks like the bolt or whatever holds it to the fairing is on the inside of the front upper fairing. Is this correct? Many of you do mirror mods on your 2009. Can you tell me if I need to remove the entire upper fairing to replace the mirrors?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I havn't done it before and I need to, but I think you do; if my memory serves me right when I took everything a part for the sliders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't need to remove the fairing. If you get a socket extension, you can reach it just fine. It is a bit of a pain though. IIRC, I used a 9mm socket.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't need to remove the fairing. If you get a socket extension, you can reach it just fine. It is a bit of a pain though. IIRC, I used a 9mm socket.
How long of a socket extension do I need? The embarrassment was profoundly great too because the wife offered to help steady the bike and help was refused. So now I need to be able to fix this myself or my ego is going to take a major hit...lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How long of a socket extension do I need? The embarrassment was profoundly great too because the wife offered to help steady the bike and help was refused. So now I need to be able to fix this myself or my ego is going to take a major hit...lol.

Sucks you dropped your new bike :doh. Forget your ego, I bet now you wish you let her help you stable the bike :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
343 Posts
ahaha, i always ask for help when I put my bike on stands or load it on a trailer

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sucks you dropped your new bike :doh. Forget your ego, I bet now you wish you let her help you stable the bike :rolleyes:.
Man, I don't even know what I was thinking when I said no to her helping me steady it. She didn't even say anything at all but I know deep inside a small part of her must be saying ,"told you so."

ahaha, i always ask for help when I put my bike on stands or load it on a trailer
I screwed this one up bad, I know. I tried to lift it the first time and my sweaty hand kinda slipped just a bit on the downward push. Instead of letting the bike all the way down and try again, I attempted a second pushdown midway and the bike tilted over.

There are two small puddles but I can't quite tell what it is. It's not gasoline because these two puddles are still here hours after the bike fell. What could it be?

·
Registered
566 Posts
My own stupid mistake just lead to me breaking off my left mirror on my brand new 650R. I was attempting to use a brand new rear stand I purchased off Ebay and when I went to prop it up.....the BIKE FELL!!!

I ran to the closest dealer and fortunately the guy had a set of mirrors. Not wanting to pay them to do it, I got home and can't figure out how to install it. Looks like the bolt or whatever holds it to the fairing is on the inside of the front upper fairing. Is this correct? Many of you do mirror mods on your 2009. Can you tell me if I need to remove the entire upper fairing to replace the mirrors?
If you snapped the mirror off at the arm, then all you have to do is remove that and replace with the new one. There are a couple of foam inserts that cover the screws. Carefully remove those and put the new mirror in. No need to remove any fairings at all. I know from experience. Dropped my bike awhile back. Felt like an idiot. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You can remove the middle and upper fairings, which takes a bit of work. You'll also have to remove the windscreen and that plastic part covering the front area, but this is just what the service manual says.

I found that the best way is to get the socket on an extension and get under the bike and guide the socket to the nut (there are 2 of them). Then hold it and attach the ratchet and unscrew the nut. Repeat for the other one. Having a second pair of hands will help!

BTW, did you notice how easily these mirrors' arms break? Mine snapped right off, instead of the way the vintage mirrors would just bend! Oh the price we pay for light weight mirrors!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Either the 09 mirrors are more fragile or I've just been lucky. I dropped my 650 twice and my wife has dropped hers 3 times with no mirror loss.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Stuff happens. One of the first things I added to my '07 were the passenger grab rails even though I will never carry a passenger on the Ninja. I did it to have a solid place to grab the bike when moving it around and putting it on the paddock stand. Also convenient for the bungee net.

I had my Voyager up on the lift to change the rear tire. When I dropped the rear wheel the bike got a little front heavy. I had to hold the back of the bike down while fishing out my cell phone to call my wife to come out and steady the bike so I could put jack stands under the front. I help my wife do stuff all the time. It makes her feel good to help me once in a while.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As far as dropping it goes, chalk it up to a learning experience. I have never had help putting mine on stands, and I am yet to drop mine. (Knock on wood) Mine is on the rear stand every 200 - 400 km to lube the chain. If you have analyzed what bit you then you are ahead of the game.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can remove the middle and upper fairings, which takes a bit of work. You'll also have to remove the windscreen and that plastic part covering the front area, but this is just what the service manual says.

I found that the best way is to get the socket on an extension and get under the bike and guide the socket to the nut (there are 2 of them). Then hold it and attach the ratchet and unscrew the nut. Repeat for the other one. Having a second pair of hands will help!

BTW, did you notice how easily these mirrors' arms break? Mine snapped right off, instead of the way the vintage mirrors would just bend! Oh the price we pay for light weight mirrors!
I haven't notice how easily they break since this is the first one but it snapped off like a pretzel stick when the bike fell. I'll try the socket extension method first but wow...that service manual is also $80.00!!

Thanks for the tips on having an extra pair of hands to help. I'll definitely use it from now on...hehe.

That stinks man, sorry to hear. Out of curiosity, what kind of stand was it?
There is no brand on the equipment. It came new in a brown box and that was it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I keep my mirrors forward out as far from the fairing as I can get them. So they're kinda perpendicular to the bike. Falling to the side means they have nowhere to go and SNAP!

I wonder if Topgunz has been keeping his mirrors closer to the back of the bike, so in a fall they just fold back to the bike...

·
Registered
228 Posts
That may be it Rocket, they just fold in and are good to go.

Just wait til you try to put one on a front stand too. I never had problems with rear stands, the first time I tried to put my gixxer on a front stand by myself it slipped and the bike was holding itself up by the plastic fender, with the axle halfway out. I had to yell for my wife until she came out and gave me a hand to stab the axle back in so I could drop it back onto the tire. It was a fiasco, if that bike had dropped I would have been sick, 2 weeks after I bought it with not a scratch on it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've dropped mine on the left twice and both times the mirror arm snapped in half.

The easiest way to change the mirror is to just pull off the foam sticker thing on the joint of the arm to the base on both mirrors, remove the bolt, swap the arm + mirror, reinstall the foam sticker.

Or you can remove the fairings and remove the whole base.

I wouldn't be able to figure out how to get my hand in there to remove the mirror without removing the fairings but I suppose it could be possible. It's really not that hard to remove the fairings, there's just a lot of bolts so it takes awhile.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I took off part of the left side upper fairing and took off the windscreen before I figured out how to do it. The main thing was turning the front wheel to allow for more room for the wrench!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts