RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been riding in 25-35 degree's F. Prior to riding I let my bike warm up 2-3 minutes. While i'm riding through town(slow speeds) or sitting at stop lights on the highway, i smell a burning smell. hard to say what kind of smell it is. It's not like an engine coolant or burned brake dust or tire smell.... maybe it's just the smell of the bike being hot in the cold? I don't know

any ideas? is this normal? I have no warning engine lights on or anything and I just had a oil change done 150 miles ago. 2009 ninja 650r

thanks

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
why the need to have to let your bike warm up that long?
Does the cold have that bad an influence on a fuel injected bike?

Would see the possible need if it had carbs...

·
Registered
169 Posts

the engine doesn't warm up as fast as you might think, plus in cooler weather it takes even longer to warm up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol ok... all suggested symptoms don't sound serious at all.... i know it's not coolant, oil, brake dust nor tire burning smell... so i doubt it's anything serious. probably just condensation in the radiator.

I dunno i've always been under the impression that not letting a engine warm up correctly in the cold, especially extreme temperatures isn't good for the engine

·
Registered
153 Posts

Racing a cold engine can harm the rings etc. Oil isn't @ opeating temp. Cars, bikes, trannies, rear ends.. you get the idea. I always let mine warm up 'till its at the point where if I blip the throttle it drops to normal idle RPM (usually ready by the time I get my helmet and gloves on), not 1500 or whatever cold idle is. And when it is cold you can have erratic throttle operation(hiccups/stalls).

To the OP, the 1st time I smelled it I was warming it up after a wash and looked to find the source and saw a bit of steam coming off the rad. No biggie.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This may be solved, but new slip ons have a burning smell. Any chance you installed a new can recently?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts