RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've come a long way since my last post and finally got to my 600 mile tune up. After the first few rides I knew I wanted to get the sports bars everyone is raving about but was focusing on learning how to ride first :swink:. I installed the lowered foot pegs, and At 6'4 I think the sports bars and the Puig racing windscreen will make this bike a lot more comfortable for me. The two latter parts are on their way and I feel comfortable installing everything but when it comes to the banjo bolt I get lost. I've read through countless posts on here about sports bars but I honestly just don't understand all the terminology you guys use when it comes to bleeding brakes and " if I flip it fast enough I'll be okay". If I don't do it fast will I be incinerated? :Wow1: If someone could point me in the right direction for this part of the install, I would appreciate it. A really dumbed down version would be nice. :buried:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
So I've come a long way since my last post and finally got to my 600 mile tune up. After the first few rides I knew I wanted to get the sports bars everyone is raving about but was focusing on learning how to ride first :swink:. I installed the lowered foot pegs, and At 6'4 I think the sports bars and the Puig racing windscreen will make this bike a lot more comfortable for me. The two latter parts are on their way and I feel comfortable installing everything but when it comes to the banjo bolt I get lost. I've read through countless posts on here about sports bars but I honestly just don't understand all the terminology you guys use when it comes to bleeding brakes and " if I flip it fast enough I'll be okay". If I don't do it fast will I be incinerated? :Wow1: If someone could point me in the right direction for this part of the install, I would appreciate it. A really dumbed down version would be nice. :buried:
I am guessing you are quoting me on flipping it fast enough? Lol. How old is the bike? Flipping it without a bleed worked out for me and my reason to not bleed was because the bike was relatively new (2013 bough in 2013) so its not like the brake fluid was bad or anything.

If you don't want to flush the old fluid and replace it, you just loosen the banjo bolt on the Master Cylinder all the way out while still applying pressure on it, then pull out the banjo and flip the brake line and reinsert the bolt. You will not be incinerated if you are too slow but you may loose enough fluid to get an air bubble in the line/system which would make your brake system sub par. At that point you could just bleed the brake system.

FYI the banjo bolts are the bolts that hold your brake lines to the calipers or master cylinder.

If you are not too certain on flipping the bolt and not getting air in the system, just do a brake bleed. Its a few extra minutes of work, but its well worth doing. There are tons of videos on how to do it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
being that the brake system is a closed system, anytime you crack open the lines in between the master cylinder and the calipers, is instant grounds for bleeding the system. I literally just did this today on my friends 07, and just by flipping the line around, The brake lever lost almost all of its feel. Went ahead and flushed and bled the brakes in like 5 mins. Do your self a favor and for piece of mind, just bleed them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts