RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing since there are quite a few Vulcan sites, that is why we don't have a forum here for them?
I just figured since I'm stuck at home right now I would see if I could help a buddy out with a problem he's having with his Vulcan.

He just bought a 1998 Vulcan VN1500 and the clutch was real bad so he replaced the spring and plates and it was working good at first, but now he's only put 150 miles on the clutch and its slipping and going bad already. I read that some people were using a mean streak spring or plates and they were supposed to be better. Just wondering if anyone knows of problems that his year bike might have had if any with the clutch? Or help with what might be his problem with it? Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't have the answer but maybe you could check out the mean streak maintenance page

I'm sure there's a forum for whatever vulcan he has (classic, nomad, ex..)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Is he running wet clutch compatable oil is the 1st thing I think of?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Gary,
The Streak is a Vulcan so most of the technical jive applies.
My guess is the basket is binding. Questions to ask. What type/Brand disks were used. Can it be, something may not be properly seated? I've only had one vulcan clutch apart but it's not rocket science. Disassemble then reassemble in reverse. (sorry..Digressing)
Hopefully others with more experience will keep me honest..I know Speedracer had his apart at least twice and will have a fresher and as always, a much more detailed view on this.

Typically if you're using an oil not suitable for slipper clutches, the symptom would be sticking clutch plates. For example, you start up, idle for a bit, pull clutch in, step into 1st and you get a huge lurch forward and stall. (sticky plates). (edit) Dont confuse old sheered oil for bad oil..They do have a lifespan in the crankcase.
Sticky basket is when you disengage clutch and the basket hangs and clutch plates dont engage. Opposite affect.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gary,
My guess is the basket is binding. Questions to ask. What type/Brand disks were used. Can it be, something may not be properly seated? I've only had one vulcan clutch apart but it's not rocket science. Disassemble then reassemble in reverse. (sorry..Digressing)
Hopefully others with more experience will keep me honest..I know Speedracer had his apart at least twice and will have a fresher and as always, a much more detailed view on this.

Typically if you're using an oil not suitable for slipper clutches, the symptom would be sticking clutch plates. For example, you start up, idle for a bit, pull clutch in, step into 1st and you get a huge lurch forward and stall. (sticky plates). (edit) Dont confuse old sheered oil for bad oil..They do have a lifespan in the crankcase.
Sticky basket is when you disengage clutch and the basket hangs and clutch plates dont engage. Opposite affect.
I am not sure what brand disks he bought or if he installed them correctly, but he's mechanically inclined so I would think he did it right, he said the oil he used is correct, he did not change out the clutch fluid like i said he should because its black and who knows how old, bikes been sitting a few years. Thanks guys but ill let him do some damn research, i have enough problems right now lol he needs to learn to use forums like this for help and input.

·
Registered
694 Posts
did he change levers. I know it sound stupid but my friend put after mkt levers on and they made it seem like his clutch was slipping. Dealer figured it out after he changed his clutch it still slipped.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You might want to check the clutch slave to make sure it is realeasing properly just thinking outload Good luck

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Gary,

Don't know about the more detailed view. But Does it slip after getting warm or all the time? Did he put the last clutch plate in the proper spot. The last plate goes into a separate grove in the basket. I would have him flush the fluid in the system and remove the slave cyl. check the clutch rod, make sure it is not binding. Using the wrong engine oil will have an effect on the clutches but not that quick. What usually happens is the additive in the oil will attack the glue on the plates and the lining will come apart. I have the stock plates in mine and have about 28k on them, no slipping, but i do have some sticking issues now and then, but no big deal. I have not tried this but will in the spring. I am going to cut down a stock 1600 spring ( just the outside diameter a little ), put it on first just as you would the judge washer then the good meanstreak spring. I am not sure if this would work but we will see.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know about the more detailed view. But Does it slip after getting warm or all the time? Did he put the last clutch plate in the proper spot. The last plate goes into a separate grove in the basket. I would have him flush the fluid in the system and remove the slave cyl. check the clutch rod, make sure it is not binding. Using the wrong engine oil will have an effect on the clutches but not that quick. What usually happens is the additive in the oil will attack the glue on the plates and the lining will come apart. I have the stock plates in mine and have about 28k on them, no slipping, but i do have some sticking issues now and then, but no big deal. I have not tried this but will in the spring. I am going to cut down a stock 1600 spring ( just the outside diameter a little ), put it on first just as you would the judge washer then the good meanstreak spring. I am not sure if this would work but we will see.
I can not answer any of these questions, but I will pass it along to him, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the Achilles heel of Vulcan's. It is a hydraulic clutch. In the clutch master cylinder is a tiny pressure relief hole. When it gets clogged you can't see it. You have to find it by scratching the bottom surface with a high E guitar string or something similar in diameter. This is not in any manual. Good luck.I replaced and burned out two clutches before learning that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts