RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
read on further, looks like he was on a moped...nvm. first source i read called it a motorcycle

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I love how half the comments on the video are like, "That's what you get for riding a motorcycle, idiot." :rolleyes:

Apparently riding motorcycles means it's ok when some retard runs into you?

Sure, accidents happen sometimes, but 90% of the time it's because some bozo wasn't paying attention.

That guy is really lucky. I'm surprised he got up right away with no gear on after bouncing off that truck.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That guy is really lucky. I'm surprised he got up right away with no gear on after bouncing off that truck.
A good portion of it is luck, but most of it is him being a 250 lb lineman.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yea, I go to the university of Iowa and you would not believe how many people I see wearing the same thing that he was. From what I saw he wasn't doing anything wrong, the truck just decided to turn out in front of him.

On our local news, they had a poll saying do you think that Iowa football players should ride motorcycles. This kind of ticked me off. Why are they any different than anybody else?

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On our local news, they had a poll saying do you think that Iowa football players should ride motorcycles. This kind of ticked me off. Why are they any different than anybody else?
Unless your not providing more info. I think you might of misinterpreted the poll. Football players are like investments for the schools and are generally on scholarships which restrict them from participating in certain activities which are potentially hazardous, such as other sports, partying, etc. I think that poll may be asking if motorcycling should be added to that list.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I live in Pittsburgh..

TOOTHLESS BURGER!!!!

THANK YOU!

Ben wrecked a hayabusa I think it was. Not sure who hit who but it was some old lady. Smacked the hell out of him. Anyway, yeah that debate came up. It fell under the risky activities clause in his contracts - and apparently most of the NFL.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sure, accidents happen sometimes, but 90% of the time it's because some bozo wasn't paying attention.
There's no such thing as an "accident" between 2 vehicles. They're called collisions, and are always due to one party not paying attention or doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There's no such thing as an "accident" between 2 vehicles. They're called collisions, and are always due to one party not paying attention or doing something wrong.
I think I worded it badly. To me, there is a difference between someone that gets into an "accident" because they got distracted by something/weren't paying attention for a second or something and someone that gets into an accident because they just never pay attention in general and have just been lucky up 'till now. The latter deserves higher punishment IMO. Unfortunately there is no way to actually distinguish between these two types of drivers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I didn't think there was a need to get technical here, but unless it can be proven that the truck driver intentionally wanted to harm the rider, it would be considered an accident (Both parties did not intend for this collision to occur).

And if the truck driver had intended to hit that rider, it would be vehicular manslaughter. I think if he deliberately wanted to hit that rider, he would've taken off after hitting him. But we see from the video that he gets out to check out what accident he had caused.

Maybe my understanding of the word "accident" is different than yours, but I believe collisions between vehicles (given that both drivers/riders are sane and not under the influence) are definitely (on the most part) not intentional.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well at least he has the cop and the video as his witness. Glad he was able to walk away.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That was a bad mishap and I think the only way he would've avoided that accident is to not have been riding on that street that day, at that time. Luckily all that happened was he did a flip tuck.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm going to disagree with bad mishap. We can't see the lights so we don't know exactly what happened but considering the cop and the van were stopped at a red - I'm going to assume that the bike side and the truck side both had greens and the left lanes didn't have their own signal during that cycle (judging by the car making the left turn from the bike side after waiting for someone to go straight through the intersection).

I would blame the truck. He either did not look and went for it or green was turning yellow and he wanted to make it. At least he got on the brakes early - you can see the car starting to buck fairly early. If he was one of those that "mysteriously" didn't see him and kept plowing it would have been much worse.

Personally, I know no one will show my skinny a$$ pity if I had a lapse in judgment/eyesight/wasn't paying attention and caused damage. Granted you can call this an "accident" and granted he didn't intentionally do it - he is still at fault IMHO...

but what do I know..

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd say he was not going very fast (25-35 mph) since the collision didn't cause him to fly forward but rather caused him to backflip.

Granted we don't know whether the lights were yellow, about to turn red. Regarding that situation of completing a left turn when the light turns yellow to avoid being stuck in the middle of the intersection, I've also seen people not scanning the crosswalk for pedestrians prior to turning onto a street. (The pedestrians crossing because they have the 'WALK' to begin crossing). Then the driver decides to make the left turn without noting pedestrians are crossing. Then the 'left turner' is stuck between a rock and a hard place: stopping up opposing traffic (risk being t-boned) or run the pedestrians over to clear himself from opposing traffic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts