RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was currently reading in a motorcycle mag that had an article about running nitrogen in tires. anyone know of any drawbacks or benefits to doing this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was explained to me like this- helium particles are smaller than air particles
so your tires would loose pressure faster.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
The process of separating the Nitrogen from Air also dries it. Removing moisture is what is beneficial.

Air is 78% nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and a bunch of other stuff make up the 1% left.

The moisture in the air is what is affected by the temperature changes, so dryer air won't fluctuate as much.

·
Registered
705 Posts
How do you know if nitrogen has been put in your tires, no way to test it, could try brething it and see if you pass out. :sadpace:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was skeptical, but tried it on my last set of tires. I was pleasantly surprised; 3 months and I haven't had to do a thing. They just haven't lost any pressure, and don't fluctuate. Next set will get it right away. Not having to mess around with adding air every few weeks is convenient.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Not having to mess around with adding air every few weeks is convenient.
i check the pressure every two or three days at a station three miles south or one three miles west from home; takes only a few minutes. air's free both places; some charge .75. i try to buy fuel at either as often as possible.

·
Registered
540 Posts
How do you know if nitrogen has been put in your tires, no way to test it, could try brething it and see if you pass out. :sadpace:
my boss puts nitrogen in her van. gets better mileage. green caps were put on to tell the difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We started running Nitrogen in our race bike tires in the mid 80's.
Nitrogen has no moisture - humidity. When a tire heats up the
moisture expands creating more pressure (tires psi) that can lead
to less traction (smaller contact patch) or a blistered tire.

my boss puts nitrogen in her van. gets better mileage.
I find this hard to believe. A car-van tire that would gain pressure
by the moisture expanding should have a slightly lower rolling resistance.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i don't drive her van but she swears by it..

·
Registered
162 Posts
We started running Nitrogen in our race bike tires in the mid 80's.
Nitrogen has no moisture - humidity. When a tire heats up the
moisture expands creating more pressure (tires psi) that can lead
to less traction (smaller contact patch) or a blistered tire.

my boss puts nitrogen in her van. gets better mileage.
I find this hard to believe. A car-van tire that would gain pressure
by the moisture expanding should have a slightly lower rolling resistance.
You are correct on the moisture/humidity input, but the van tire would definately have a higher rolling resistance,( less tire on the ground)....try pushing a car with very little air vs a car with a high pressure amount of air in the tires, and then see what one rolls easier:ithank:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unless you are looking for ultimate in performance, spending the money on nitrogen is just $$$ out of your pocket. Since this forum is on Ninja 650's vs. SS bikes, why would you want to waste money on this???

·
Registered
9 Posts
try pushing a car with very little air vs a car with a high pressure amount of air in the tires, and then see what one rolls easier

If you tired it you wouldn't have posted this stupid of a reply.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml
Keep Tires Properly Inflated

You can improve your gas mileage by up to 3.3 percent by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure. Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.3 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer.

lower pressure does not burn more gas because it rolls easier

A freight trains steel wheels roll with something like 1/5 the resistance
of a semi trucks tires.

·
Registered
162 Posts
try pushing a car with very little air vs a car with a high pressure amount of air in the tires, and then see what one rolls easier

If you tired it you wouldn't have posted this stupid of a reply.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml
Keep Tires Properly Inflated

You can improve your gas mileage by up to 3.3 percent by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure. Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.3 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer.

lower pressure does not burn more gas because it rolls easier

A freight trains steel wheels roll with something like 1/5 the resistance
of a semi trucks tires.
Lol..How do you "tire" it? and you call me stupid? besides, it's called an analogy, something you evidently have no clue about..you must be 10 years old..Lol!:killingme

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would rather have a typo in my post than be unable to understand
a simple concept like tire inflation and rolling resistance.
If you were a man or a mature kid you would be able to admit that
you were wrong.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts