RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Will try to test fit the swingarm//shock this week - and possibly start rebuilding the headlight with projectors but will probably wait till all the brackets are in

- Stay tuned though, the build continues馃馃馃.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Got the rear shock, swing arm and steering dampener on.

Also received the 2003 Z1000 Headlight/gauge/windscreen stay; needs a couple mods to work but should turn out good once installed (way less labor intensive than making one from scratch)

What's left:
-
Fab for the subframe
- Minimal fab for the headlight stay (as well as projector install)
- chopping un-needed brackets
- powder coat
- paint
- assembly left 馃
--> Let's see how long this takes lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Ran into a slight problem, my dampener's shaft isn't long enough and won't allow for full lock to lock turning - any suggestions?

As for the engine, I just have a Two Brothers slip on, and a power commander - will also probably do the air-box mod (link in first post) - there anything else that could be done with keeping reliability?

Registered
Ran into a slight problem, my dampener's shaft isn't long enough and won't allow for full lock to lock turning - any suggestions?
I used a cheap eBay bracket and put it near the triple. I imagine you put it down on the side for the look so the only thing I can think of is move the pivot point closer somehow. Otherwise get a longer damper or relocate to the triple..
As for the engine, I just have a Two Brothers slip on, and a power commander - will also probably do the air-box mod (link in first post) - there anything else that could be done with keeping reliability?
Id say just get a higher flowing filter. the power commander is great if you also have the auto tune and all the rest. Gets a bit price prohibitive which is why I was asking ... need some ideas myself :) Ive compared the PC, Bazaaz and also Woolwich racing stuff and it all lines up around the same price if your going for an autotune setup for fuel and ignition.... Id love me some of that ,as well as a quick shifter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
I used a cheap eBay bracket and put it near the triple. I imagine you put it down on the side for the look so the only thing I can think of is move the pivot point closer somehow. Otherwise get a longer damper or relocate to the triple..

Id say just get a higher flowing filter. the power commander is great if you also have the auto tune and all the rest. Gets a bit price prohibitive which is why I was asking ... need some ideas myself :) Ive compared the PC, Bazaaz and also Woolwich racing stuff and it all lines up around the same price if your going for an autotune setup for fuel and ignition.... Id love me some of that ,as well as a quick shifter.
The silver part in front of the dampener is a 50MM cheap eBay bracket - I was possibly thinking of making a vertical mounting point off the frame (right in front of the gas tank) since the versys upper has 4 holes with threads --> this way the stick dampener will act as most SS bike's stick dampeners (on top of the triple tree)

What size dampener did you purchase/ where did you mount it to the frame? Could you post some pictures of the setup

In addition - it seems I'd be able to use dirt-bike bars if I made custom H clamps since the upper has the threaded holes - will try the clip ons for the beginning though

Registered
I used a bracket like this one(mines a 2010 but it might fit ?)

Never taken a good photo of how it mounts to the frame I don鈥檛 think because it鈥檚 black and dark in there it鈥檚 hard to get a pic in focus.

Attachments

Registered
You鈥檙e a lucky guy ! Found some pics of the bracket when i was installing.

Because i had risers under my bar clamp(i was using a drag bar at the time) i had to get a longer bolt and space it up a bit. The other end bolts on top of the z1000 top clamp (two little collars space it up as part of the kit) but its actually made for a Ninja 650 clamp.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
You鈥檙e a lucky guy ! Found some pics of the bracket when i was installing.

Because i had risers under my bar clamp(i was using a drag bar at the time) i had to get a longer bolt and space it up a bit. The other end bolts on top of the z1000 top clamp (two little collars space it up as part of the kit) but its actually made for a Ninja 650 clamp.

Can you post a link of that frame mount? That's what I wanted to fab up but that looks much better

Registered
It鈥檚 an eBay job .... I don鈥檛 know if an 09 bracket fits an 08 but it would surprise me if it didn鈥檛 fit or couldn鈥檛 be made to work easily

Registered
I wouldn鈥檛 buy this myself because its a structural member of the bike. It鈥檒l probably be ok but you just dont know what the thing is really made of at this price but a top triple like this with an integrated mounting point would be nice.

The ad says durable...lol

Registered
Slow moving on this project;
These thing always take longer than needed...
I wrote that because that鈥檚 my experience. Usually it takes 3 times longer than I estimated :)
There鈥檚 a guy over on a custom bike forum who鈥檚 built some incredible ****... his advice ....no matter what happens do one little bit of work on it every day to keep things moving but also to keep your motivation up..or something like that... the guy built his own frame in his shed that barely fits a bike....he knows his stuff
In addition; I saw this build thread - https://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-650r-er6/315842-looking-advice-suspension-upgrades-other-bits.html

And really like the way the EN-6R Belly Fairing looks - so think I will be adding this in as well
Don鈥檛 know how I missed this part of the post but if you need pics of brackets or any other part of the belly pan lemme know.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts