RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bought a used 2009 Ninja 650R. Has 5880 miles looks and ran great.. I get it home from the dealership and i did buy a warranty with it, and start it every once in a while to show it off. It has an Arrow exhaust on and i love the sound. I went to start it the other day, started right up, on one cylinder.

Now i've been around bikes my whole life, but mainly dirt and enduro. I traded in my KLR650 for this bike looking to find something more for street. As you all know this is fuel injected, but i dont know alot about this bike and just looking for some advice.

Is the bike loading up?
Do i need to change the plugs?

The day it didnt run the greatest, i let it run for about half hour revving it a little and seeing if it would fire the other cylinder. After it got good and hot, It backfired quiet a bit throwing a flame out of the pipe about a foot long everytime i touched the throttle. I see that as the cylinder finally started firing and burning all the unburned fuel. Ever since that day it hasnt done it, but what can i do to prevent this from happening during my actual riding season? (I live in Michigan)

Thanks everyone I am new to this
Justin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds like a spark issue, also check the air filter to make sure everything is okay. I am leaning more towards a spark problem though.

·
Banned
786 Posts
Yeah, coil on plug. Just saw a cheap used set (like $10) on ebay. I'd pull the plugs, gonna have to any way, are see how they looked. Check for spark, corrosion, etc. make sure the coil boots look ok. When you pull your air box make sure you don't have a mouse nest in itl... God that would suck. But it sounds like a spark issue.

Have you checked your idle screw and made sure thats adjusted right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the idle screw is good, the thing that i dont understand is it has only done it that one time.

But like i said, I bought this bike used from the dealership, so i dont know how long it sat. The battery was kind of low when i got it and i wonder if that had anything to do with it running that way.

Thanks for your help though, i will probably tear into it tomorrow, just cant wait to ride it! Got a whole 2 miles in the other day when it was 35 degrees out and the roads dried, whole different animal than the klr650!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts