RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping that the RS660 would sort of be a "luxury Ninja", but it's not quite that. The engine is tuned to come alive at 7.5K+, and there looks to be less power under that rpm than the Ninja (but it destroys the Ninja above that). Maybe the RS660 has shorter gearing, but I bet not, since it revs higher -- it's probably got longer legs, making the torque deficit even worse off the line. Yeah, I scraped the dash rpm/kph from a video, Aprilia 1st gear just slightly taller about 3%. The Ninja is punching 15% more at 19 mph in 1st gear. The Aprilia doesn't approx match the Ninja until 35 mph (from dyno curves). By the time the Aprilia catches the Ninja, it's going to be 45+ mph realistically. I don't think the RS660 unseats the Ninja as the best twin street bike. I was all excited for the RS660, but then I saw the dyno curve, it's sporty, mellow then beasty. I was hoping for a more torquey characteristic, but I guess that was an silly idea, given that it revs 2K more than the Ninja.

·
Administrator
2,650 Posts
Well, IMO the RS 660 is the 'luxury ninja.' Dyno tests don't really reflect real life riding conditions or give a true indication of the power of a motorcycle in the real world. The RS is almost 50lb lighter, has 30% more horsepower, has traction control, wheelie control, cruise control, and five riding modes/maps, as well as world famous handling. It is a far superior machine than the pedestrian Ninja 650....which does look very nice, but it's a sheep in wolf's clothing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha no the RS660 is over 400 lbs wet, it's just slightly lighter. Yes for sure the Aprilia is much faster once under way (45+ mph). From a stop light, I am pretty sure the Ninja has the edge due to shorter gearing, more off idle torque, and a featherable clutch. The RS660 dyno has the same curve as my 765, and it was crap for stop light launching, so I sold that hot mess. To me, the RS660 looks like a faired 765 with 25 hp less. I don't know if the RS660 has a sporty on/off clutch, but it I were to place a bet, I would guess that it does.

The RS660 is a real sportsbike with higher bars, make no mistake. If you are dreaming of a hot sporty twin-cyl N650, then get the RS660. If you are dreaming of the easy-to-ride commuter N650 with tech, no.

·
Administrator
2,650 Posts
The RS660 dyno has the same curve as my 765, and it was crap for stop light launching
I wonder if they turned off wheelie control before the dyno run.... :unsure:

TBH - I'm not a big fan of parallel twins. It's hard to make them sound good, and I wasn't happy with the performance and handling of my '15 Ninja 650. Sold it and bought an Aprilia Shiver 750 - have always loved the V twins.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The MT07 is a p twin also and it sounds ok?
the Aprilia is in a different price bracket as well

·
Administrator
2,650 Posts
The MT07 is a p twin also and it sounds ok?
the Aprilia is in a different price bracket as well
While yes, it is a parallel twin, it also has a 270 degree crank as opposed to the Ninja 180 degree crank, thus giving it a better sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There has been an explosion of RS 660 coverage and content recently. The Tuono 660 is also on the scene now. I've been contemplating if it's worth swapping my 2019 Ninja 650 for a RS660, or keeping the Kawi and getting a naked triple as a 2nd bike with a slight upgrade in power. I can't see having a 650 and an RS 660 at the same time. I do like all of the extra rider aids/safety features of the RS though.

The funny thing is everyone complains about the Kawi's parallel twin stock sound, and rightfully so, but I haven't heard any complaints from vloggers about the RS 660's sound. And the Aprilia doesn't sound any better to me in stock form.

·
Administrator
2,650 Posts
There has been an explosion of RS 660 coverage and content recently. The Tuono 660 is also on the scene now. I've been contemplating if it's worth swapping my 2019 Ninja 650 for a RS660, or keeping the Kawi and getting a naked triple as a 2nd bike with a slight upgrade in power. I can't see having a 650 and an RS 660 at the same time. I do like all of the extra rider aids/safety features of the RS though.

The funny thing is everyone complains about the Kawi's parallel twin stock sound, and rightfully so, but I haven't heard any complaints from vloggers about the RS 660's sound. And the Aprilia doesn't sound any better to me in stock form.
IMO the RS is a superior bike in every respect - handling, performance (100hp compared to the Ninja 72hp), rider aids (ABS, traction, wheelie, engine-braking, and cruise control), and superior equipment such as Brembo brakes front and rear.

While it is also a parallel twin, it should sound very different to the Ninja with an aftermarket system, as it also has the 270 degree crank.

Keep us posted on your decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, I agree the RS is superior to the Ninja 650. I also think what Aprilia has done is great for the mid-range 650 market in general. Other manufacturers may consider offering a bit more "tech" in their motorcycles. Even if they are offered as options.

My 2019 650 is my first bike, so I have an irrational attachment to it at the moment, which makes the decision a bit more difficult. If anything changes, I'll certainly share. I'm also interested if any other 650 owners are thinking of swapping for an RS.

·
Administrator
2,650 Posts
My 2019 650 is my first bike, so I have an irrational attachment to it at the moment, which makes the decision a bit more difficult. If anything changes, I'll certainly share.
Fair enough - I understand the attachment. For many years I have always had more than one bike, because no bike does everything well, each bike has it's own 'character.' So, maybe go for the second bike for more experience options.

btw - I swapped my 650 for the Aprilia Shiver 750. I certainly don't regret that move.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 650
2 Posts
Was hoping that the RS660 would sort of be a "luxury Ninja", but it's not quite that. The engine is tuned to come alive at 7.5K+, and there looks to be less power under that rpm than the Ninja (but it destroys the Ninja above that). Maybe the RS660 has shorter gearing, but I bet not, since it revs higher -- it's probably got longer legs, making the torque deficit even worse off the line. Yeah, I scraped the dash rpm/kph from a video, Aprilia 1st gear just slightly taller about 3%. The Ninja is punching 15% more at 19 mph in 1st gear. The Aprilia doesn't approx match the Ninja until 35 mph (from dyno curves). By the time the Aprilia catches the Ninja, it's going to be 45+ mph realistically. I don't think the RS660 unseats the Ninja as the best twin street bike. I was all excited for the RS660, but then I saw the dyno curve, it's sporty, mellow then beasty. I was hoping for a more torquey characteristic, but I guess that was an silly idea, given that it revs 2K more than the Ninja.
I've also been looking at the RS660 as I love the looks and the specs are appealing. Then I'm constantly reminded of a few things. My Ninja 650 is super reliable, has more than enough handling and performance for 99% of what I do (recreational riding on back roads & city riding) and doesn't cost a fortune to own. Also, at the track there are guys whipping R1's with CBR300's which always brings me back to reality.

·
Administrator
2,650 Posts
My Ninja 650 is super reliable, has more than enough handling and performance for 99% of what I do (recreational riding on back roads & city riding) and doesn't cost a fortune to own.
Hi - and welcome to the forum. Yes, the Ninja is a capable bike to own and there are a few guys racing them successfully. (There's a thread somewhere here about a guy who built one to race at the Isle of Man)

I also have to agree about not costing a fortune to own - they have been around a long time now and aftermarket and replacement bits are readily available, whereas with the more expensive and less popular bikes, you have to pay through your nose at the dealer if you want any replacement parts.

I chose the Aprilia over the Ninja because of the superior power and performance, but also for emotional reasons such as always having loved V-twin motorcycles - and I literally pay the price for that decision.💸💸

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 650
2 Posts
Hi - and welcome to the forum. Yes, the Ninja is a capable bike to own and there are a few guys racing them successfully. (There's a thread somewhere here about a guy who built one to race at the Isle of Man)

I also have to agree about not costing a fortune to own - they have been around a long time now and aftermarket and replacement bits are readily available, whereas with the more expensive and less popular bikes, you have to pay through your nose at the dealer if you want any replacement parts.

I chose the Aprilia over the Ninja because of the superior power and performance, but also for emotional reasons such as always having loved V-twin motorcycles - and I literally pay the price for that decision.💸💸
Yeah, that's the thing. Those Aprilia's are beautiful machines and with the RS660 I think they've found a void in the middle weight 'practical sport' class. The bike seems to have a slightly more committed riding posture and with the additional HP and tech makes it now more of a class leader, albeit in a different price class. Also they've gone with the twin to keep things economical which makes sense. How have you found the reliability thus far?

·
Administrator
2,650 Posts
How have you found the reliability thus far?
The Shiver is the second Aprilia that I have owned - first was the 1000 Falco. I upgraded it to RSV specs and was VERY happy with the performance, handling, sound and looks.

The Shiver has been very reliable - the Regulator/Rectifier shat it's self a while back (had to push the sucker home).

However, I bought an online Chinese one - not made for the 'Prila, but it had (most of) the correct connectors (had to swap a few wires around) and worked. It was also less that 1/4 the price of an original (most R/R will work across different bike models).

The original was close to $300US - I found one online for around $20US - 2 years later - still working.

So, if you are prepared to do the research, you can still maintain the bike at reasonable cost - for example: Aprilia shim kit - very expensive - but they run shims which are the same as many Jap bikes (Honda)...so much cheaper.

Not really into the vertical twins -but as stated, it has the 270 degree crank, so should sound like the business with a good aftermarket system.

If you want to run an 'exotic' bike you have to be prepared to pay for the experience - but hey...they can be very rewarding in intangible ways. Ride safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My first bike was a 2013 ninja 650. I'm not a naked fan and found this bike looked nice for the buck, had ok power and found it was a good all around go bike. I found it caught in the wind on highways on windy days. I found it was a good beginner bike. Easy to handle and good highway power. Kept that bike for 3 years and then moved on to a 2014 kawasaki ninja 1000 abs. Found a good deal for 2 or so year 8k ridin bike with all the options. Hard saddle bags and all. Maybe not the best bike out there but good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, I agree the RS is superior to the Ninja 650. I also think what Aprilia has done is great for the mid-range 650 market in general. Other manufacturers may consider offering a bit more "tech" in their motorcycles. Even if they are offered as options.

My 2019 650 is my first bike, so I have an irrational attachment to it at the moment, which makes the decision a bit more difficult. If anything changes, I'll certainly share. I'm also interest if any other 650 owners are thinking of swapping for an RS.
At the moment , I’m thinking of upgrading my 2013 ( but relatively new condition ) N650 to either the Ducati supersort 950, Aprilia RS or possibly Ducati v2. I need to get on these bikes to see what comfort level is because I’m looking for something a little less bland than my 650 but not a uncomfortable track machine . I need to be able to ride it on the road for a few hours without feeling cramped. I’ll probably trade the 650. It’s a shame because I think it’s worth a lot more than what they’ll give me , but it doesn’t make sense to have 2 sport touring bikes .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stared at the RS and Tuono 660 for a long time, but I concluded for the money it wasn't an overall improvement over my Ninja 650. Basically it has more power at the top but less torque off idle, and then there's already a recall / stop sales for some the 660 engines for an exhaust valve adjustment. I don't have time to baby an Italian drama queen for a mid-range beater bike. For the Tuono 1100 yeah I get it, it's something crazy and special. But the 660 is not, and I think it's smart to let that new platform sort out for a couple years, unless you actually hit the track. Maybe the Yamaha R7 will be interesting, but my gut tells me it's going to be far more sporty than the comfy Ninja 650.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I stared at the RS and Tuono 660 for a long time, but I concluded for the money it wasn't an overall improvement over my Ninja 650. Basically it has more power at the top but less torque off idle, and then there's already a recall / stop sales for some the 660 engines for an exhaust valve adjustment. I don't have time to baby an Italian drama queen for a mid-range beater bike. For the Tuono 1100 yeah I get it, it's something crazy and special. But the 660 is not, and I think it's smart to let that new platform sort out for a couple years, unless you actually hit the track. Maybe the Yamaha R7 will be interesting, but my gut tells me it's going to be far more sporty than the comfy Ninja 650.
I worked at an Aprilia dealership from 2015 to 2019. You would think that a "new platform would sort itself out in a couple years" but they don't. New, old, they're all not even remotely close to reliable compared to Japanese bikes.

Not only do they break down frequently, but the parts availability and lead time is an absolute frickin joke. A couple MONTHS if your lucky. That was before COVID.

The Kawasaki 650 to the Aprilia 660 is apples to oranges. The 660 is in the ZX6r (aka 636) category. Apples to apples fellas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got on the RS650 yesterday. Definitely apples to oranges. No comparison to the N650 in terms of riding position. Best to compare with the zx6r .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts