RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping that the RS660 would sort of be a "luxury Ninja", but it's not quite that. The engine is tuned to come alive at 7.5K+, and there looks to be less power under that rpm than the Ninja (but it destroys the Ninja above that). Maybe the RS660 has shorter gearing, but I bet not, since it revs higher -- it's probably got longer legs, making the torque deficit even worse off the line. Yeah, I scraped the dash rpm/kph from a video, Aprilia 1st gear just slightly taller about 3%. The Ninja is punching 15% more at 19 mph in 1st gear. The Aprilia doesn't approx match the Ninja until 35 mph (from dyno curves). By the time the Aprilia catches the Ninja, it's going to be 45+ mph realistically. I don't think the RS660 unseats the Ninja as the best twin street bike. I was all excited for the RS660, but then I saw the dyno curve, it's sporty, mellow then beasty. I was hoping for a more torquey characteristic, but I guess that was an silly idea, given that it revs 2K more than the Ninja.

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Well, IMO the RS 660 is the 'luxury ninja.' Dyno tests don't really reflect real life riding conditions or give a true indication of the power of a motorcycle in the real world. The RS is almost 50lb lighter, has 30% more horsepower, has traction control, wheelie control, cruise control, and five riding modes/maps, as well as world famous handling. It is a far superior machine than the pedestrian Ninja 650....which does look very nice, but it's a sheep in wolf's clothing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha no the RS660 is over 400 lbs wet, it's just slightly lighter. Yes for sure the Aprilia is much faster once under way (45+ mph). From a stop light, I am pretty sure the Ninja has the edge due to shorter gearing, more off idle torque, and a featherable clutch. The RS660 dyno has the same curve as my 765, and it was crap for stop light launching, so I sold that hot mess. To me, the RS660 looks like a faired 765 with 25 hp less. I don't know if the RS660 has a sporty on/off clutch, but it I were to place a bet, I would guess that it does.

The RS660 is a real sportsbike with higher bars, make no mistake. If you are dreaming of a hot sporty twin-cyl N650, then get the RS660. If you are dreaming of the easy-to-ride commuter N650 with tech, no.

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
The RS660 dyno has the same curve as my 765, and it was crap for stop light launching
I wonder if they turned off wheelie control before the dyno run.... :unsure:

TBH - I'm not a big fan of parallel twins. It's hard to make them sound good, and I wasn't happy with the performance and handling of my '15 Ninja 650. Sold it and bought an Aprilia Shiver 750 - have always loved the V twins.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The MT07 is a p twin also and it sounds ok?
the Aprilia is in a different price bracket as well

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
The MT07 is a p twin also and it sounds ok?
the Aprilia is in a different price bracket as well
While yes, it is a parallel twin, it also has a 270 degree crank as opposed to the Ninja 180 degree crank, thus giving it a better sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts