RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know how much attention this thread will get, but it's here now and I'm sure it'll grow with each uninsured wreck or hooligan ready to show his/her true self. I became a fan of naked bikes after receiving a wrecked 2001 Honda CBR F4i. It turned into a naked stunt bike. I then lost my side plastics to my 2013 650 and converted. In August of 2013 I bought my buddy's 2005 Z1000. When I walk into a dealership I immediately gravitate towards the naked bikes. Here's my 2013 as it sits. Constantly evolving though.

With your post try to give a run down of how the bike sits with the parts you've got in it.

Yamaha R1 gold pot mono bloc calipers
2008 ZX6R forks
Stock 2013 650 petal rotors
Venhill stainless brake lines all around
Dominator headlight and mounts
ZX6R clip - ons
Luimoto seat cover
2003 ZX6R front wheel

The full set of ZX6R wheels are waiting on powder coat. She finally decided the color. The stainless lines will be replaced by the color she wants. The Luimoto seat covers are pending sale so I'm reverting to stock black. The tank will be painted after the powder coat. Easier to match paint to powder than powder to paint.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
May I suggest that each poster lists what parts they used for the transformation and what they think of them? Helpful for those of us putting a list together. Great thread idea.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Napkin, I think a colored hugger (blue or red) and pulling the front sprocket cover would be a sweet addition to the mean as hell look you have going. Nice build

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get that information and edit it into my post. I'll pull the sprocket cover and hugger (great idea to add to the raw mechanical look).

·
Registered
970 Posts
You should import an er6n belly pan from canada, and lose the stickers. Also a matching maroon tank would look sharp IMO

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Sounds like a fun thread! While you were gone I made my bike naked, not so much fighter, except for the typical coolant res bottle mod. The bike is fully faired again so I wont post in this thread just yet but if/when I go back to being naked/fightered I will edit this post and add to it. Yyou wont find alot of hooligans here NL, seems this crowd is a bit more conservative with the exception of a handful of track addicts and canyon carvers, but there are still a few naked/fightered variants floating around.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'll get that information and edit it into my post. I'll pull the sprocket cover and hugger (great idea to add to the raw mechanical look).
The front sprocket cover is a nice touch... Just curious if your opening yourself up to issues. I'm thinking rocks, shoe laces, or baggy pants. Maybe trim it so the sprocket is protected a little. JMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
looks great. Taking the tail off makes the bike look so small. I bet it's damn light. I noticed that I can start from a start without the gas once I took the fairings off and got a carbon fiber exhaust. The bike wouldn't do it stock and I wasn't sure it was the weight loss or power gain from exhaust. Did you notice this?

I've got some ideas for you. Let me know if you want me draw up anything else.
-some kind of shroud at the end of the seat to make the missing tail look more "complete." maybe some kind of bent sheet metal?
-Paint the rear wheel hugger a gloss black. Looks like it was never painted right now (kinda grayish looking)
-Paint the radiator sides. It's the only silver thing left of the bike.

Here's my project so far.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input daj349. The plan for the hugger is either no hugger or to paint the hugger to match the rest of the bike once we get to that point. The seat is kinda just sitting right now. I've already drilled and tapped mounting holes and created a bracket for the seat to mount. I plan on putting the plate just behind the seat so I may end up doing some sheet metal or fiberglass/plastic work. The radiator is definitely on my to-do list. I'm actually considering a larger radiator to give the bike a beefier look. Unsure about keeping the bellypan.

By the way your bike is looking good. just the right amount of black and blue to make the silver stand out.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
without hugger sprocket cover and belly pan.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Heres my naked hooligan.
Acerbis supermoto front fender shaved down.
Kawasaki KLX450 headlight housing with HID kit
Custom seat
Trail-Tech speedo
Acerbis Handguards
Master-Cylinder swap
Plasti-dip front/rear wheels
Red Driven sprocket nuts
Leo Vince Gp evo 2 exhaust
Renthal grips
Missing some things...Has changed a bit since these where taken.
Enjoy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm digging that high fender for some reason. Looks mean. What master cylinder did you swap to?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's some photos of the naked transformations. Excuse the red triples and the overflow bottle in some of these photos. The exhaust just kept getting shorter and shorter. Sadly it may get shorter again as I brush and fit it.
I thought for a while about doing a raised tail section like this to do the super streetfighter look, but that's not easy with the silly frame design on the 3rd gen 650.
I've always liked this picture. The silhouette is so skeletal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's from a company called Shindy. They do radials and standards. I wanted the look of a radial because I love the exposed resevoir. Got it for about 120$. Comes in a few different colors. Here's gold.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403235815.653657.jpg

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got the bike lowered 2" front and back for her. I also moved the clip ons above the triples. I need to find an alternative way to lower the front end. The forks sticking through look pretty silly.

I managed to finish brushing the exhaust and get it remounted. I trimmed a little more off the belly pan, just need to mount the front half which means more custom bracket building. I reshaped the front fender and it looks real tough. I put the sprocket cover back on. Removed the hugger. Might paint it and out it back on. The headlights aren't mounted on these photos but it is mounted now. Had to pick up some stainless to replace the black oxide that was rusting. Still need to mount the gauges and clean up a few brackets left exposed on the frame. I sent my seat with the Luimoto cover on it to another forum member so he didn't have to pay to have it installed or buy a pneumatic stapler, so I'm waiting on him to send his seat back. Lot of trust there. Once that arrives I'll mount the plate. I've got a license plate frame with tag lights, running lights, brake lights, and turn signals built into the led board. Very cool.

I also swapped the Versys shock for the stock shock to make it that much shorter for her. She can stand the bike up and tip toe it as well as shift the weight from foot to foot. Making progress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got the bike lowered 2" front and back for her. I also moved the clip ons above the triples. I need to find an alternative way to lower the front end. The forks sticking through look pretty silly.

I managed to finish brushing the exhaust and get it remounted. I trimmed a little more off the belly pan, just need to mount the front half which means more custom bracket building. I reshaped the front fender and it looks real tough. I put the sprocket cover back on. Removed the hugger. Might paint it and out it back on. The headlights aren't mounted on these photos but it is mounted now. Had to pick up some stainless to replace the black oxide that was rusting. Still need to mount the gauges and clean up a few brackets left exposed on the frame. I sent my seat with the Luimoto cover on it to another forum member so he didn't have to pay to have it installed or buy a pneumatic stapler, so I'm waiting on him to send his seat back. Lot of trust there. Once that arrives I'll mount the plate. I've got a license plate frame with tag lights, running lights, brake lights, and turn signals built into the led board. Very cool.

I also swapped the Versys shock for the stock shock to make it that much shorter for her. She can stand the bike up and tip toe it as well as shift the weight from foot to foot. Making progress.

Looking good, do you have a build thread on this thing?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Advancing further with Brooke's 650. Got the solo headlight mounted. Ordered some different turn signals for up front. Seat should be here Saturday. Gotta build mounts for the seat, the license plate, and the gauges. Paint work after that. I'd like to replace the brake lines and other red accents that won't belong. I'm gonna give custom seat covers a go. If they look good maybe I can sell them to forum members. Let me know your thoughts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts