RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in southern Arizona and I ride pretty much all year, even in the summer when it's more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit. My jacket has good venting and my bike is a naked bike (with just a small fly screen), so I get good ventilation and I don't really feel super-hot as long as the bike is moving. I'm planning to buy a Ninja 650 (likely a 2012 or 2013). Can someone who rides in a hot climate tell me whether the fairing makes it very hot in summer?

The reason why I ask is that last summer I tried a friend's cruiser that has a full windscreen and I ended up sweating like crazy, even though I was riding at 60mph or more. So I'd never ride buy a bike here with a full windscreen, but I really like the fly screen on my current bike because it keeps the pressure of the air off my chest but there's still enough air flow. Does the Ninja fairing/screen still give you good air flow?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I had an '07 Ninja and i put a shorty screen on it. Worked well in the hot and humid southeast have you looked at the FZ-07? It is a fun and capable bike, plus only 400 lbs curb weight

Reactions: forkseal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I like the idea of fitting a smaller screen. Yes, the FZ-07 looks nice. I really like the idea of a Ninja 650 at the moment, though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
the screen can be adjusted to different heights. For the most part, I've left mine as it came from the factory, which is the middle. No real issues in terms of heat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Florida rider here, and stock 2014 Ninja 650 I have no issues with air flow. I'm kept pretty cool so long as I'm not stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Australian rider here.So far i have not had an issue with airflow.There are countless different screens on the market for 650,from double bubble to a touring ones.Unsure if the 12 and 13 models have adjustable screen positions like my 17 does.I moved mine to lowest position just to get all of the air.Its been a hot summer here in aus :(

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My 2009 can have a lot of noticeable heat coming back the right side of the bike, heating up my leg. This is usually noticed when I'm stuck in slow traffic. Anything over about 40 mph and I barely notice it.
The stock windscreens on most any year of the 650 should work well for your needs, and I think I read that the newer models have rerouted the heat off the engine a bit better.
Of course there are currently limited aftermarket windscreen options for the new 2017 model...

·
Registered
93 Posts
In south Florida here. Don't have much issues when it's really got out with airflow at all when riding when it's really hot. What does bug me is after riding for a hour when it's really hot out, stopping for lunch then getting back on the bike. Even though the muffler is below the engine, the radiant heat from the exhaust/muffler cooks the bottom of the seat. Takes a few miles for the seat to cool back down.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Texas here. No real issues in the summer, and I usually wear full leathers. As long as I'm moving it's all good, traffic lights in the city are another story, but I expect those suck regardless of the bike you're on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts