RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thus, while your engine is idling, the engine doesn't need much oil pumped and you will see most of your oil in the oil pan. If you put your bike in gear so that the clutch is connected, your oil pump will then start pumping more oil as you gain speed.
Yes! Music to my ears! For a moment there, I really thought my oil pump is screwed. Thanks for checking! :)

As it turns out, to check whether the oil pump is working properly, all you need to do is look at the instrument cluster or meter unit/gauge. For as long as the "Oil Pressure Warning Indicator (red) Light" doesn't turn on while the engine is running, the oil pump is good -- meaning, regardless engine hot or cold, oil pressure is more than sufficient to circulate the oil into the engine's nooks and crannies. If the oil pressure is too low, the red light will stay lit (NOT GOOD!). However, if the oil pressure is too high, the "Oil Pressure Relief Valve" (another engine safety device thingy located inside the oil pan) will bring the oil pressure down to within specs. However ever, if the oil pressure is way way too high, the engine will explode -- just kidding, the oil will get past the oil seals and there will be oil all over the garage. SOOOo, it looks like everything looks good for me. hihi

p.s. Pare, pinoy ka din pala? What's your exact 10-20 good buddy? Nice to hear from another Kabayan!

·
Registered
228 Posts
p.s. Pare, pinoy ka din pala? What's your exact 10-20 good buddy? Nice to hear from another Kabayan!
Opo, 100% pinoy. I'm in Los Angeles...I will be visiting Manila, Palawan, and tour around Bicol in a couple of months. I was looking into motorcycle tours as well, but I'm not sure I want to carry all of my gear with me on the airplane. hehe

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Opo, 100% pinoy. I'm in Los Angeles...I will be visiting Manila, Palawan, and tour around Bicol in a couple of months. I was looking into motorcycle tours as well, but I'm not sure I want to carry all of my gear with me on the airplane. hehe
Arggh, I haven't been to Palawan or Bicol. Nice places (El Nido, Puerto Princesa, Coron, Mayon Volcano, Boracay), I hear. I'm a foreigner in my own country.

Maybe we could have lunch sometime here in Manila. My treat, I owe you one. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Arggh, I haven't been to Palawan or Bicol. Nice places (El Nido, Puerto Princesa, Coron, Mayon Volcano, Boracay), I hear. I'm a foreigner in my own country.

Maybe we could have lunch sometime here in Manila. My treat, I owe you one. :)
I'll be sure to take pictures so you can tour the country in some way. I only started traveling maybe two or three years ago. Before then, I would only leave my city to go to Las Vegas. In the last two years, I've gone to the Philippines, Hong Kong, London, Paris, Rome, the Holy Land, and I guess if layovers count, Guam, Tokyo, and Germany...haha

Sure, it will be cool to meet...and you can show what it's like to be a local there. And if you need help with your bike, I can be an extra set of hands and eyes since I had to tear two-thirds of my bike apart to install my HIDs. hehe I considered quitting my job and moving there, but everyone thinks it would be silly to go from being paid well and on pace to a full retirement at 55 years old...to probably being stuck in a call center job for the rest of my life. But I enjoyed my last trip there and wish I could stay.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's a date then. Ring me up here in the forum when you get here in Manila. Saturday (no office work!) lunch or dinner would be nice. :)

Funny, folks here wanna go stay in the states. And you guys wanna go stay here in the Pinas? Two jarheads (BBSL) I know are on retirement down south -- and they seem to be enjoying themselves. Me? I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think perhaps it's because I wasn't there long enough to see the really bad stuff. Or maybe it's because I'm employed here so it's easy to spend money there (everything is cheap compared to here), so I don't have to worry about anything like food and shelter. I suppose I could retire early and go there if I save enough...and then wait until my regular retirement age to start getting my retirement money from here. lol I wouldn't know what to do with myself with over two decades of pre-retirement retirement.

White Christmas is nice if you can stay indoors. Otherwise, if you have to work or run errands, you have to shovel from your door to your driveway, and then shovel your driveway so that your car can get out. And if the snow plow comes and pushes the snow back onto your driveway...well, let's just say you need to leave extra, extra early just in case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Middle is good with engine NOT running (stop engine after idling for a few minutes) and bike is level on rear stand. With engine running (idling) and bike is level on rear stand, my oil level goes way way way past the upper limit. In fact, oil fills the entire oil check window.

EDIT: Wait a sec, is it normal with engine running (idling) that the oil fills the entire oil check (sight glass) window? The oil pump is supposed to be circulating oil, so we should expect the oil level to drop -- correct?
I hope that it’s ok that I resurrected this post after 2 years but I just bought a 2017 ninja 650ex and I’ve noticed the same thing that you mention here. When I start the bike with it level the oil in the site glass goes up and covers the site glass. Every other bike I have ever owned the oil goes down. Did you ever find an answer as to if that is normal or not?

·
Registered
21 Posts
6 year old thread but who's counting. I would say from my experience that levels usually go down but based on different engineering and design I wouldnt find this to be out of the ordinary.

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
Did you ever find an answer as to if that is normal or not?
It's pretty normal and is probably a result of oil splashing around inside the sump, giving the impression of a high oil level.There are a lot of parts spinning at high revs in the bottom of your motor. The only time to worry about oil in the sight glass is when you are measuring it with the bike upright, and not running....oh, and welcome onboard.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts