RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is a bike that does low 12's in the quarter mile. You're faster then every car under $40k. On the list of stuff I want to do to this bike more power is near the bottom. Suspension and lights are the two biggest things that should be done first. While the speed demon in me wants a 636 and I find them dead sexy I won't be getting one. I did 110mph on my way home from work this morning. Me with more power probably isn't a good idea.

I can't talk about driving around under 4k because I have never done it. I sure as hell didn't break in my bike that way. I personally believe that break in procedure is more about preventing newbs from crashing and raising insurance rates then it is about having the engine be healthy.

Reactions: bigballn

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't want to start the break-in debate but what I meant is that I subscribe to the motoman break-in method. My 11 mile ride home was a lot of high throttle and engine braking and my oil was changed before 50 miles. I changed it again at 600 miles and will switch to synthetic at 3000. My uncle is an Amsoil dealer so that's nice.

·
Registered
820 Posts
This is a bike that does low 12's in the quarter mile. You're faster then every car under $40k. On the list of stuff I want to do to this bike more power is near the bottom. Suspension and lights are the two biggest things that should be done first. While the speed demon in me wants a 636 and I find them dead sexy I won't be getting one. I did 110mph on my way home from work this morning. Me with more power probably isn't a good idea.

I can't talk about driving around under 4k because I have never done it. I sure as hell didn't break in my bike that way. I personally believe that break in procedure is more about preventing newbs from crashing and raising insurance rates then it is about having the engine be healthy.
Ill be upgrading to the 2013 636 :-D just a matter of when a good deal pops up..probably winter and ill sell my bike privately

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ill be upgrading to the 2013 636 :-D just a matter of when a good deal pops up..probably winter and ill sell my bike privately
Dang ballin that's a fast turn around I figured u would have kept the bike awhile longer. Your gonna loose so much value with a turn around that fast. Also u sure your ready for that type of bike.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Dang ballin that's a fast turn around I figured u would have kept the bike awhile longer. Your gonna loose so much value with a turn around that fast. Also u sure your ready for that type of bike.
I have been talking myself out of the 13 black zx6r for months! I just can't justify the costs. The upfront cost + insurance, and I would still do PCV, exhaust, grips, levers, fender elim, tail light, and brake lines. When I add it all up and think about what little the advantage really is for a bike that will never see a track, the costs are just to high for a fraction of a second difference in performance on the street. OK OK so maybe its more than just a fraction of a second but not much more! I barley ever go above 80mph and most of the gains with the zx6r are found above that anyway, so I'll just keep the bike I have knowing it's more than I really need for riding the streets anyhow.

Reactions: bigballn

·
Registered
820 Posts
I will try to pay the bike off plus a little more. I think I am ready. It wont be for a little while longer. If i can find a killer deal on one during the winter or something i will do it. Otherwise, I am content with keeping the 650:)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have been talking myself out of the 13 black zx6r for months! I just can't justify the costs. The upfront cost + insurance, and I would still do PCV, exhaust, grips, levers, fender elim, tail light, and brake lines. When I add it all up and think about what little the advantage really is for a bike that will never see a track, the costs are just to high for a fraction of a second difference in performance on the street. OK OK so maybe its more than just a fraction of a second but not much more! I barley ever go above 80mph and most of the gains with the zx6r are found above that anyway, so I'll just keep the bike I have knowing it's more than I really need for riding the streets anyhow.
nobody can say the 636 is a SICKKKK bike. I love the 650, but it was meant to learn on and hone my skills so one day i could upgrade to something bigger. we will see though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new here and I just bought my 1st bike ever: Ninja 650 2013! My wife made me happy, I'm lucky ah haha :D

I'm 6'2", 230lbs, and I am currently breaking-in my bike, so I gotta keep it below 4,000 RPM, which is fine. However, I feel like there's not enough "power". I don't know how to explain it. I know that after the break-in period I'll be able to push it more, but I guess I had high expectations to begin with and feel something is missing. For my 1st bike I thought the 650 was gonna blow me away RIGHT AWAY, a totally different beast from the 250 I rode at the MSF, but it isn't the case. I thought I was gonna be completely overwhelmed but I already feel super comfortable and almost feel I should have gotten a 1000cc. Mind you, this is my 2nd day riding it, pretty much my 2nd day riding a bike ever.

I don't know, I guess I'd like to know if it's just me, my riding style, my expectations that make me doubt, or if it's normal for all not to fully experience a bike's potential until after the break in period. :) Perhaps I should just chill, enjoy it, and the rest will come.

I hope no one takes my post as "look at this guy, he wants a bigger bike, he thinks he's an experienced rider already" because that is not the case. I am new to this and would like your opinion.

You are a big guy but the 650 is pretty powerful and quick as well. I have a 2006 ninja 650 and a 2002 gsxr 1000. I have been riding since I was 7 years old and I'm here to tell you that going to a liter bike is s whole different realm..the death realm...the difference is insane. However I ride the ninja most of the time. It's more comfertable,easier to ride and i can whip it around to save my life when i have to compared to my gsxr..where your almost laying on that giant tank and its alot heaver. If I were you I would honestly get some time in on the ninja .you can always regear it. I geared mine down because I usually ride it around town were I'm not doing 120-130 .it gave it a lot more get up off the line for sure. If you havent rode the streets its safer to learn that aspect on the ninja for sure.it slot more forgiving. My suzuki is real twitchy and front wheel come up in every gear.easy to play it down buy slipping of clutch in traffic ect. I love my ninja ..my gsxr is insane .I like it for long high speed rides. I weigh about 180 and I've had my ninja at 130 (before hearing it down)riding from L.A to SD the whole way comfortably. It did feel the bumps more . The gsxr I've had it at 165-170 smooth as it could be .but really who needs to go over 120...I have my moments where I get it on my suzuki but it's really perty stupid. Had a car pull out on me..they were far ahead of me but I was hitting 165 maybe 170 and rite away started downshifting but I was up on that car so fast my head spun. Had to cut between it and a truck which was head on..it was my lucky day. You should watch you tube videos like dan dan the fireman..they show bike crashes and do a break down of why they crashed.i learned little tips that saved my life more than 4 times

61 - 69 of 69 Posts