RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I'm 23 y.o., Bachelor's degree, had one speeding ticket on my record. First year riding (was 22 y.o. then) and a 2012 650, State Farm was the best I could get at $1,900/year for last year. This year I switched to Allstate. The speeding ticket fell off my record, but I added my motorcycle accident last Aug. Allstate insured me with the same coverage for $1,300/year.
Damn, that's expensive! I still can't believe it I am getting $578/year for full coverage/low deduct (California). Gotta love Geico! :)

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Where do you live (I see under your avatar, just saying)? What age range are you? How many years have you been riding? What else do you have insured with the same company? Those things, and more affect your rate.
Nebraska. 33. 3 years riding. All other vehicles insured with USAA. Bike is $204 per year full coverage at American Family Insurance. I actually think there is an insurance thread around here somewhere. Way too many variables for insurance. Jeffe definitely has some nice rates.

·
Registered
966 Posts
why i picked the 650 based on insurance:

honda cb500r 2013 new = $800/year full coverage
ninja 650 2013 new = $580/year full coverage
ninja 1000 2013 new = $1800/year full coverage
yamaha fz6r 2013 new = $1200/year full coverage

** full coverage = highest coverage & lowest deductibles

mind you, i am a new rider, about to turn 30, excellent auto driving record since I was 18, insuring 2 cars and 1 bike. if i didn't care about my safety and I had a bigger budget then i would have gone w the 1000. the 650 met all my criteria, including budget, so yes insurance premium does count especially when your wife gives you a strange look ahaha
I have full coverage with $500K-$1M-$500K and a $500 deductable. I pay less than $1800 for all my vehicles per year and I just totaled out a 2011 N1k and bought the back end of a 2010 Impala LTZ.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
i took everyone's advice tonight. it's good to be conservative while breaking the bike in, but nothing too extreme. well, it's ALIVE! ahaha i felt the power. great bike! thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Congrats,

Welcome to The Forum Fillipo!

Be patient, break in will be over sooner than you think! You'll have a different tune, very soon!

Cheers!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Congrats,

Welcome to The Forum Fillipo!

Be patient, break in will be over sooner than you think! You'll have a different tune, very soon!

Cheers!
Break in will be over soon, but then you'll start modding. I can't wait to get my bike back together! The front end is stripped down to install my new headlights. I just couldn't stand the stock lights, especially up here in deer country.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
thanks guys!

I can't sleep at night thinking about all the mods hahaha i should wait until the break-in period is over to mess with the bike, i'll just enjoy a safe ride.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Power on my 2009 650r kicks in smoothly at 7500 rpm until about 9 or 10. by 11k, it's loosing power. The really nice thing about the way they've cammed the bike is that it has a nice rounded torque curve around 4-5000 and a completely separate HP power band higher up. It gives the bike two personalities... a docile commuter and a nice kick if you want to pack someone's lunch. I'm certain you will smile when you finally get 500 miles on that bike and can wind it out a little. You will not be doing wheelies at 80 like a fool though.... your wife will appreciate that.

I've ridden an R6 and a ninja 900... both are thrilling to ride... but want to lope and lug below 85mph in 6th... They are great if you want to support your local police pension fund. I gotta say that R6 impressed the snot out of me.... It'll tach 18k and starting around 10k it just kept pulling harder and harder as I wound it out. Wow.... I think it was around 73mph when I shifted to 3rd.... holy cow!

As for the 650r... I went on some local twisties with a neighbor on his 1200 sportster. I got tired of him slowing for the curves and passed him... I kept the 650 in 4th gear which centered it in the power band at about 70... then in the apex of a curve, I'd nail it and run up to 95 or 100.... the sportster couldn't keep up at all.... I gotta give it to him though.... I don't know if I could've handled that hog in the twisties at the speeds he did. He'd be a he!! of a rider on my bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Power on my 2009 650r kicks in smoothly at 7500 rpm until about 9 or 10. by 11k, it's loosing power. The really nice thing about the way they've cammed the bike is that it has a nice rounded torque curve around 4-5000 and a completely separate HP power band higher up. It gives the bike two personalities... a docile commuter and a nice kick if you want to pack someone's lunch. I'm certain you will smile when you finally get 500 miles on that bike and can wind it out a little. You will not be doing wheelies at 80 like a fool though.... your wife will appreciate that.

I've ridden an R6 and a ninja 900... both are thrilling to ride... but want to lope and lug below 85mph in 6th... They are great if you want to support your local police pension fund. I gotta say that R6 impressed the snot out of me.... It'll tach 18k and starting around 10k it just kept pulling harder and harder as I wound it out. Wow.... I think it was around 73mph when I shifted to 3rd.... holy cow!

As for the 650r... I went on some local twisties with a neighbor on his 1200 sportster. I got tired of him slowing for the curves and passed him... I kept the 650 in 4th gear which centered it in the power band at about 70... then in the apex of a curve, I'd nail it and run up to 95 or 100.... the sportster couldn't keep up at all.... I gotta give it to him though.... I don't know if I could've handled that hog in the twisties at the speeds he did. He'd be a he!! of a rider on my bike.
thanks for the info! i am finally starting to understand how bikes differ from each other. before all i was just looking at CCs, which obviously means nothing. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
thanks for the info! i am finally starting to understand how bikes differ from each other. before all i was just looking at CCs, which obviously means nothing. :)
It means something, but not everything. My buddy's Triumph Street Triple R is a 675cc three cylinder, but puts out about 1.5 times the HP of our 650cc parallel twin.

We have a 650cc parallel twin, while the ZX6-R has a 636cc inline four. However, the ZX6-R will smoke the 650 any day.

Other things affect the handling such as your steering geometermy, rider position, suspension, tires, tire pressure, etc.

There are so many factors that affect bikes, it can make your head spin.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It means something, but not everything. My buddy's Triumph Street Triple R is a 675cc three cylinder, but puts out about 1.5 times the HP of our 650cc parallel twin.

We have a 650cc parallel twin, while the ZX6-R has a 636cc inline four. However, the ZX6-R will smoke the 650 any day.

Other things affect the handling such as your steering geometermy, rider position, suspension, tires, tire pressure, etc.

Indeed. Loving it so far; I've got a ton to learn.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Here's my next question:

WHEN do you shift gears on the 650? At what RPM? During break-in and after break-in.

Now in break-in mode, I find myself in 6th gear fairly quickly, changing each gear when it hits 4-5K. Blame it on the "break-in period, don't mess with it" state of mind, the wind, or on my supper-padded super-silent new helmet (Or just blame it on me being a newbe :p), I can't really "hear/understand" the engine very well and feel the need to reach 6th gear on a 50 mph street for a smoother ride.

In a car you really don't hit the 5th gear unless you're on a highway. Is this true for a bike as well?

I am sure that after the break-in period I will hold gears longer, thus solving my problem.

Sorry, this might all be common sense, but I value everyone's opinion to make sure I don't misuse my babe. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
it's up to you when you shift, or don't. want better fuel economy? shift sooner (but don't let the engine bog down - you can hear/feel when it's doing that).

i found it really limiting when going through the break-in period. for the 1st 500 miles you're limited to 4k - heck, just going on a freeway and hitting 70 mph puts you well into 6th gear at just over 5k. i revved through each gear until i got to 4k, then i shifted. next 500 you can rev to 5k, then after that - you can rev all the way to redline if you choose to. you'll definitely hear the engine in high revs, even with a stock exhaust :)

·
Registered
820 Posts

2013 has a 637cc and a 599cc option. I am upgrading to the 2013 636 next year if i can find a good deal. will be selling the green machine

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
it's up to you when you shift, or don't. want better fuel economy? shift sooner (but don't let the engine bog down - you can hear/feel when it's doing that).

i found it really limiting when going through the break-in period. for the 1st 500 miles you're limited to 4k - heck, just going on a freeway and hitting 70 mph puts you well into 6th gear at just over 5k. i revved through each gear until i got to 4k, then i shifted. next 500 you can rev to 5k, then after that - you can rev all the way to redline if you choose to. you'll definitely hear the engine in high revs, even with a stock exhaust :)
ok so this proofs it's normal during break in, and it's not me that i am a bad rider :p thanks!

·
Registered
516 Posts
ok so this proofs it's normal during break in, and it's not me that i am a bad rider :p thanks!
Not everyone break in the engine using the suggested MOM method. I didn't do it that way and my bike has shown no problems so far since 2009. However, shifting is usually done based on several factors and each rider has his/her own preferences. Without trying to guess what anyone else does I'll just explain what I do so you have at least one point of reference. Remember that the sweet spot for our bike is between 6k to 10K RPM. I'll give shifting examples for two types of riding. Now mind you, these are specifically ONLY my preferences.

The gas saving rider:
You'll want to shift through the gears at steady paces without rolling on too much throttle. Shift around 4K-5K rpm per gear to keep the engine rpm low. The theory is that the lower the rpm, the less gas is used. However, my spark plugs were inspected after riding like this for 3 month and were found to be in a wet black condition. This tells me that either the A/F ratio is too rich, I have oil fouling, or that I am running the rpm way too low frequently and and have unburnt fuel (which I did). I personally don't like wet black spark plugs conditions as that may introduce other issues later.

The Sweet Spot rpm rider: (this is how I usually ride)
You'll want to shift when the engine tells you to shift. You'll learn this by seat time with the bike. The engine will give off a certain melodic hum/buzz when it's ready to go up to the next gearing. For me this is usually between 6k-8k rpm. You can feel a certain smoothness to the engine when you are running it in these rpm ranges. In fact, the smoothness of the engine is even more apparent than running the engine at lower rpm. You have to experience it to understand what I am saying here. Example, run 1st gear up to 6k rpm then shift, run 2nd up to 7k rpm then shift, run 3rd up to 7k rpm then shift and so forth. I am usually in 2nd or 3rd gears (6-8k rpm ranges) during my city street commute with posted limits of 25-45MPH. I checked my spark plugs again after running the bike this way for another 3 months and found them to be a greyish brown color (exactly what I expected to see). No wet black to suggest I may have a seal leak or unburnt fuel.

Hopefully all this makes sense to you. If not don't worry about it too much as you'll gain more experience by more seat time. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Remember that the sweet spot for our bike is between 6k to 10K RPM.
Great info!

You'll want to shift when the engine tells you to shift.
Right, just like in a car. It makes sense. The limitations of the break-in just had me wondering, but after that I am sure it will all be 2nd nature. Thanks :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
2013 has a 637cc and a 599cc option. I am upgrading to the 2013 636 next year if i can find a good deal. will be selling the green machine
I think 2012 ZX-6R is 599cc and the 2013 is 636cc.

the extra 36 cc on the 636 gives it an edge over the zx6r!
The 636 is the ZX-6R.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts