RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Enjoy that insurance bill lol
Everyone keeps bringing up the cost of insurance. Is that really a problem? I understand some buy them as a cheaper option to driving the cage every day, but I spend more putting on tires and upkeep for the bikes by far than I do on insurance for the bikes, 3 houses, and 7 automobiles with state farm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i'm around the same size as you: 6'2" and 250. i just finished my break-in, and there's a lot more to look forward to when you get up in the revs!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Everyone keeps bringing up the cost of insurance. Is that really a problem? I understand some buy them as a cheaper option to driving the cage every day, but I spend more putting on tires and upkeep for the bikes by far than I do on insurance for the bikes, 3 houses, and 7 automobiles with state farm.
My Allstate agent said they go by cc's. insurance would be much higher for me on a ninja 1000 (what i want) than it is on my ninja 650

·
Registered
411 Posts
My Allstate agent said they go by cc's. insurance would be much higher for me on a ninja 1000 (what i want) than it is on my ninja 650
That's probably not 100% accurate. Most vehicle insurance is partially based on the claim rate and claim cost for that vehicle. So vehicles that tend to be damage more often tend to have higher rates. My buddy has a 2010 Triumph Street Triple R that is 675cc and about 110HP that pays lower insurance than I do for a 2012 Ninja 650 with about 70HP. However, Triumphs are not nearly as common and tend to be owned by more reserved people that don't usually have as many claims. Therefore, they're cheaper.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you mean it doesn't matter that his bike is 2 years older than yours?

i know car insurance is the way you described, and wasn't aware the same goes for 2 wheel vehicles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i'm around the same size as you: 6'2" and 250. i just finished my break-in, and there's a lot more to look forward to when you get up in the revs!!
Looking forward to that. :) For our size I have to admit this bike is very comfortable that when I ride I wonder if I am on a sport bike haha. Do you ever feel you'd like to get drop/low bars? Thanks :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
nah, sport bars aren't for me - i feel like my face would hit the windshield, lol (i have a long torso).

i too was pleasantly surprised how comfortable the bike is! i like that it's heavy, although i wish it would be heavier. i still get blown around a bit on windy days freeway riding, heh.

have fun, and be safe!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
why i picked the 650 based on insurance:

honda cb500r 2013 new = $800/year full coverage
ninja 650 2013 new = $580/year full coverage
ninja 1000 2013 new = $1800/year full coverage
yamaha fz6r 2013 new = $1200/year full coverage

** full coverage = highest coverage & lowest deductibles

mind you, i am a new rider, about to turn 30, excellent auto driving record since I was 18, insuring 2 cars and 1 bike. if i didn't care about my safety and I had a bigger budget then i would have gone w the 1000. the 650 met all my criteria, including budget, so yes insurance premium does count especially when your wife gives you a strange look ahaha

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ditto on what others said. The bike has more than enough power, just wait until break in is done and utilize the entire RPM range.

·
Registered
516 Posts
What I don't understand is the craving for power in every day riding. Most streets are 35-45 MPH, and highways/freeways are usually 65-75 MPH. I sold my Ninja ZX10R because I couldn't stand to ride it around town in 2nd gear. The bike was fantastic at the track but I only do that once a month for 2-4 hours top so it had to go...lol. You simply cannot use and will not be able to use all the power available with any of the super bikes. I understand the insanity to want more power at the tracks but the insanity should also match common sense that all that power will likely NEVER be used on the streets. Just my two cents!

Reactions: MarktheShark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking forward to that. :) For our size I have to admit this bike is very comfortable that when I ride I wonder if I am on a sport bike haha. Do you ever feel you'd like to get drop/low bars? Thanks :)
for what it's worth, I absolutely LOVE the ninja650shop sport bars. I found on the highway with the stock bars I couldn't tuck in a bit without my elbows sticking out at what felt like odd angles, and after installing the sportbars I felt like the steering was more responsive as well and the riding position was a lot more natural for me. Granted I still would like to get new rearsets so I could change the angle a bit (bad knees) but I highly recommend them. They're nowhere near as aggressive as a supersport, but they definitely were an improvement for me.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Progressive does free quotes. I always put in bogus information except for what matters to get an accurate quote. It is not always about CC since the Z1000 is only a little more to insure than the 650R but the Ninja 1000 is much more to insure.

The only time you need a bigger bike is on the straights where it is no fun to ride anyway and the main reason people want a bigger bike is due to peer pressure from people with liter bikes. I use mine on the track, the commute to work, two-up touring with family (or taking pictures of toilets), etc.

As an aside, I was 230 at one point and decided to drop some weight for the track. The bike can get much more fun with reduced weight. I guess another reason to get a liter bike is to support a diet or lack thereof.

Reactions: MarktheShark

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oh come on easyrider you have NEVER broken the speed limit?
I kinda doubt that .
Also wowed by some of your insurance rates
Zl1000=180 a year /full cover low deduct
650r= 210 a year /full cover low deduct
It must be the locale of residency

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealer that I bought the my new 2013 650 at told me during break in don't drive with the throttle pinned at red line but don't just putt around at low rpm's either. They simply told me to ride the bike like I would during normal riding and the biggest thing was vary the RPM's don't just stay at a given RPM for extended periods of time. The 650 has plenty of power and is a really great bike all around IMO. Granted I have only had the Bike 5 days now but i have racked up something like 490-510 miles. I haven't been at a loss for power yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
for what it's worth, I absolutely LOVE the ninja650shop sport bars. I found on the highway with the stock bars I couldn't tuck in a bit without my elbows sticking out at what felt like odd angles, and after installing the sportbars I felt like the steering was more responsive as well and the riding position was a lot more natural for me. Granted I still would like to get new rearsets so I could change the angle a bit (bad knees) but I highly recommend them. They're nowhere near as aggressive as a supersport, but they definitely were an improvement for me.
Good to know. I'll def look into those bars. Thanks man

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
As an aside, I was 230 at one point and decided to drop some weight for the track. The bike can get much more fun with reduced weight. I guess another reason to get a liter bike is to support a diet or lack thereof.
So true! I'm already on a diet and I am sure the bike will feel different at some point.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oh come on easyrider you have NEVER broken the speed limit?
I kinda doubt that .
Also wowed by some of your insurance rates
Zl1000=180 a year /full cover low deduct
650r= 210 a year /full cover low deduct
It must be the locale of residency
Where do you live (I see under your avatar, just saying)? What age range are you? How many years have you been riding? What else do you have insured with the same company? Those things, and more affect your rate.

I'm 23 y.o., Bachelor's degree, had one speeding ticket on my record. First year riding (was 22 y.o. then) and a 2012 650, State Farm was the best I could get at $1,900/year for last year. This year I switched to Allstate. The speeding ticket fell off my record, but I added my motorcycle accident last Aug. Allstate insured me with the same coverage for $1,300/year.

MI is supposedly known for high vehicle insurance due to our no-fault laws and medical injury coverage. I can't say as I've never lived outside MI. Also, 25 y.o. is the point that insurance drops off, at least here that's what the agents tell me.

BTW, if you ever crash and no one's around, think about reporting it as an animal strike. Both State Farm and Allstate consider an animal strike as a comprehensive claim, not a collision. However, my lowside from hitting gravel is a collision claim. Just food for thought.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts