RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here and I just bought my 1st bike ever: Ninja 650 2013! My wife made me happy, I'm lucky ah haha :D

I'm 6'2", 230lbs, and I am currently breaking-in my bike, so I gotta keep it below 4,000 RPM, which is fine. However, I feel like there's not enough "power". I don't know how to explain it. I know that after the break-in period I'll be able to push it more, but I guess I had high expectations to begin with and feel something is missing. For my 1st bike I thought the 650 was gonna blow me away RIGHT AWAY, a totally different beast from the 250 I rode at the MSF, but it isn't the case. I thought I was gonna be completely overwhelmed but I already feel super comfortable and almost feel I should have gotten a 1000cc. Mind you, this is my 2nd day riding it, pretty much my 2nd day riding a bike ever.

I don't know, I guess I'd like to know if it's just me, my riding style, my expectations that make me doubt, or if it's normal for all not to fully experience a bike's potential until after the break in period. :) Perhaps I should just chill, enjoy it, and the rest will come.

I hope no one takes my post as "look at this guy, he wants a bigger bike, he thinks he's an experienced rider already" because that is not the case. I am new to this and would like your opinion.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
To keep this short and sweet, if you really haven't gone above 4000rpm yet you have never been in the power band. Power band is something like 6500rpm-9500rpm on this bike.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotcha. that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll be patient then and wait for the break-in to be over. thank you :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I honestly think you'll find this bike has all the power a new rider needs. I really think keeping it under 4000rpm all the time for break in is a little to conservative.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking forward to it; I just wish the break-in wasn't so "boring". :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I really think keeping it under 4000rpm all the time for break in is a little to conservative.
^Agreed, as long as you aren't pushing the limits of your bike during the 'break-in period' you'll be fine. Don't shift too soon where it feels bogged down but also don't red-line it before every shift, I prefer 5k when being conservative

Once you pass your 500-600 miles, you can stay in a lower gear/higher RPM and feel the powerband kick in when you want to drive a little more aggressively!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that's what I am doing wrong; I'm shifting too soon to avoid exceeding the 4000rpm, thus making my ride not that exciting. Not only that, my helmet has got sooooo much padding that I can barely hear the engine lol. Will push a little more for sure. Can't wait to hit that 600 miles to feel the extra kick. Thanks for the advice! :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. The guys are right, you haven't really been able to fully experience what the bike can really do. I felt the same way when I was breaking my 2012 in. In the meantime hone in on your skills getting better so when you do get to rip her open you'll be ok. The twisties are the best, she glides right around while those 1000cc and better bikes are holdin' on for dear life, lol. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I bought a 650 last year and a 250 this year. They are worlds apart on power. You just haven't been able to tap into it yet. I used to have a 600 ss. I enjoy the 650 more. You don't have to break 100 mph to run through first and second gear. Lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I stayed below 4000 rpm I would get killed around here, but I rarely follow the printed break in suggestions. Whe you hit 5000 rpms it feels quite different.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It is only your second day so break in the bike first. I used my 650 as a track bike for two seasons and it has enough power to make me grin from ear to ear. The sweet spot for this bike is between 6k rpm and 9-10k rpm. Once you hit those rpm, the bike purrs and the smile on your lips gets wider and wider (it did for me).

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
However, I feel like there's not enough "power".

For my 1st bike I thought the 650 was gonna blow me away RIGHT AWAY,
The public streets are for transportation, NOT for racing or being "blown away".
If you want a cheap thrill, go ride a roller coaster......or take your bike to the track.

I'm not saying that just to throw rocks at you; this is serious stuff.
There was a post earlier today talking about a new rider killing himself right off the dealers lot.

Tomorrow that could be YOU. :Wow1:

·
Registered
411 Posts
The public streets are for transportation, NOT for racing or being "blown away".
If you want a cheap thrill, go ride a roller coaster......or take your bike to the track.

There was a post earlier today talking about a new rider killing himself right off the dealers lot.

Easy's right about this, and if you stick around here long enough, you'll see Easy and I don't always see eye to eye. Take it easy, learn the feel of the bike first. Take it back to where you took the MSF class (assuming a big empty parking lot with exercises spray painted on the ground) and run through those exercises again. It'll be different and harder as the 650 is a heavier, longer, and taller bike than the little 250 you likely used in the MSF class.

Make sure you're careful for the first 100 miles as your tires won't be fully worn in yet and could be slick.

The 650 definitely has enough power for your average beginner. Even during my break-in (below 4K for 500 miles, and below 6K for 1000 miles), I had plenty of power. I could beat a car off the line anytime. You also don't really hit the power band during break-in. Power band is like others have said, between 6k and 9k is where the engine makes the most power. I've also noticed that first gear seems to top out for me around 6k, shifting up to second at the point and bike pulls much harder and faster. Learning the shift points will help you too.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats my friend!

Trust me, I had the same feeling as you at the beggining. I am at around 900 miles and still breaking-in (6k RPM max), I can't wait to go over that! Be patient, you'll be amazed what this beast can do!

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Congrats on the bike!! She's a hoot above 7k, I keep it below there for putzing around. A lot of us here came to this bike after riding larger sport tourers, cruisers and supersports; plenty of power for us!

·
Registered
30 Posts

under 4k rpm the bike feels like a larger scooter. He's not looking for supersport triple digits, he's looking to get into the power band and be able to hear the engine. Once he gets past break in and can run the bike at a higher rpm he'll be happy. My cruising rpm around town is 2nd gear around 6-7k rpm. Bike feels entirely different and a lot more fun there. Under 4k.. I feel like I'm barely moving. This is what he's dealing with. Overreaction achieved.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
thank you all, amazing feedback! I am glad I registered to this forum! :)

yes, I'll take it easy and be safe -- my goal isn't to race in the street but to enjoy the ride. as Islesfan91 & many of you said, under 4k I feel like I'm barely moving, that's all. but now I know it isn't me who picked the wrong bike but it's the break-in period and once I hit 6-9K I'll have a taste of what this bike can do -- this is exactly what i wanted to know. :D

1 - 20 of 69 Posts