RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi kwak heads.
I have a bike I’m fixing for a lady who’s bike was burnt in the bushfires around Kinglake in Australia some years ago. The bike had an after market rear brake line which failed the roadworthy inspection. I’ve fitted a factory brake line back on it, however on the swing arm I’m not sure how it sits behind the wire that keeps the brake line from touching the tire. I’m 99.9999% I’ve fitted it correctly but the mechanic giving me the roadworthy disagrees. Does anyone have a picture they could share with me where it comes out of the abs, follows the swing arm before being attached to the caliper

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
I’m 99.9999% I’ve fitted it correctly but the mechanic giving me the roadworthy disagrees.
Why not just fit it the way the mechanic says, then change it to wherever you want after the RW.

Reactions: GoFaster

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like your thinking, I wish it was that simple. Well it could be but the quick story is, took bike to rwc guy. He failed it on some reasonable things, quoted me to fix it. Over priced in my opinion. I said I’d do it, I have a mechanical background. Must have annoyed him because when I picked it up he added things to the list. I’ve fixed all of the items on the list. But its taken me 13 days. Tomorrow is day 14. I took it to him today but he wouldn’t look at it because he said he was busy. Bring it back tomorrow. IMO he didn’t look busy and when I first rang him to do the rwc he fit me in straight away but sure that’s besides the point. I maintain he’s annoyed I didn’t pay him to do the work. So tomorrow is it last day to get it looked at before the initial expires and I have to pay $165 again. The aftermarket rear brake line was a braided line, his first comment was he has to check if it’s ADR compliant, if was a decent line I’d say it was definitely up to the job. It was however skinnier than the original. So the plastic clips weren’t securing it and he said it could touch the rear tyre. Fair enough. I agree he was right. He said no cable ties no nothing have to reroute it through the wire guard which is a closed loop, if you put the braided line through it, it was indeed secure but it’s not the way it went from factory. The banjo on the aftermarket lines up from under the caliper facing up at 10’oclock position but the factory one routes above the caliper facing down at the 7’oclock position. This changes the curve in the line. So much so that now if you thread it through the wire guard on the swing arm it pinches the line and creates a rub point which could potentially make a hole. When I took it to today we ended up having a blow out over words so he wouldn’t even look at anything on the bike least of all the brake line until tomorrow. So tomorrow he might decide it’s routed correctly now but I doubt it he’s stupid. He will argue it has to go through the hole and fail the rwc at which point I have to find a new guy and pay for a new one again. If I however route it like he wanted the old one to go, he might see the pinch and say no that’s not right either and still fail me so either way I can be up for another rwc. If I have pictures of other bikes I can route it correctly take the ambiguity out of it and if he knocks me back I have a leg to stand on that he’s incorrect.

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
I read your post a couple of times, but am still a little confused. Do you have an aftermarket caliper as well? The original 2012 caliper has the brake line to the outside of the caliper body. See pic.

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
It’s clear that he wanted to profiteer rather than do the right thing.
Maybe he's just pedantic about what he sees as roadworthy. The OP did say that he raised some legit issues, but from what the OP has also said, it does seem like he was put out that he didn't get the extra work on top of the RWC fee.

Reactions: AusEr6guy

·
Registered
391 Posts
No mechanic in his right mind will risk his business on a dangerous vehicle but it seems as you say he’s pissed he didn’t get the work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts