RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to know if anyone had their bike cold start just fine and after riding for about 10 minutes then stop, the bike will turn over all day without starting until I give it throttle. Frustrated as hell:blxsuspic

·
Registered
246 Posts
Try checking your idle screw perhaps? Choke would be giving it enough gas to start from cold but it may be turned down too low to maintain idle once warm?
When it was warmed up, how many revs was it idling at?

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
Cogs gave a great suggestion......also, what do these bikes use as a fuel tank vent, or do they?

Mine was difficult to start, when warm, right from the factory. There was a small vent line on the left side of the tank that had a kink in it.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
If you know that it takes a little blip of throttle to get it to start when hot.......then just DO that.

Have you made any mods to pipes or intake ?

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you know that it takes a little blip of throttle to get it to start when hot.......then just DO that.

Have you made any mods to pipes or intake ?
this seems to be what my 2014 prefers. so i just do it. others have said the same.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine is like that also (2011). When starting when warmed up if I hold the starter down just a tick after it catches she's fine, otherwise I need to give a quick blip of the throttle when starting. No biggie, just do what the bike likes.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
A lot of folks like their idle to low and these bikes are sensitive to that. Make sure yours is above 1250.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is this the ole trying to start the bike when it's warm question again?

I know it's been discussed so no worries about something being wrong with the bike. I've never adjusted anything on mine and it runs / starts just fine after being warmed up with either an added extra bit of the throttle, or by quickly pushing the starter button upon initial start up procedure (key on) or by just holding in the starter button until it starts.

Personally, I let it go thru the start up paces then just add a lil bit of throttle upon each warm start.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A lot of folks like their idle to low and these bikes are sensitive to that. Make sure yours is above 1250.
I had never put 2 and 2 together before this thread but...

My bike had the same symptoms with warm starting and I just blipped the thottle as folks said. At the time I'd set the idle down to ~1000rpm. Last winter I tweaked it back up to 1100 due to electrical system not keeping up with my heated gear. Since then I've not experienced the "start/die" syndrome in this thread.

The reason I quoted Squidlius is...the service manual says set the idle to 1100. Where did 1250 come from? Inquiring minds etc.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I had never put 2 and 2 together before this thread but...

My bike had the same symptoms with warm starting and I just blipped the thottle as folks said. At the time I'd set the idle down to ~1000rpm. Last winter I tweaked it back up to 1100 due to electrical system not keeping up with my heated gear. Since then I've not experienced the "start/die" syndrome in this thread.

The reason I quoted Squidlius is...the service manual says set the idle to 1100. Where did 1250 come from? Inquiring minds etc.
Just personal experience. When I set mine any lower than that it tends to die when I start to go and have to chop the throttle and pull in the clutch for whatever reason.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Doesn't Ivan suggest 1600 rpm idle with his reflash / map IIRC ?
Something like that which I personally think is a smidge high.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Just personal experience. When I set mine any lower than that it tends to die when I start to go and have to chop the throttle and pull in the clutch for whatever reason.
That whatever reason would be that you still haven't mastered good clutch and throttle coordination on takeoff.
As the clutch starts to engage you need to apply some throttle as the clutch continues to engage.
It would appear that you either are not feeling and using the friction zone of the clutch properly OR are not giving it enough throttle.

You should NOT be making up for poor technique by increasing the idle speed.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
That whatever reason would be that you still haven't mastered good clutch and throttle coordination on takeoff.
As the clutch starts to engage you need to apply some throttle as the clutch continues to engage.
It would appear that you either are not feeling and using the friction zone of the clutch properly OR are not giving it enough throttle.

There he is!

Once again you jump in with an amazingly worthless load of crap without having the slightest clue as to what I'm talking about. Dude, I don't even know what to say anymore.

Really?

The truly sad part is I already know what you're gonna come back with. You're like a broken record. Please.....spare us all the pain of having to watch you make an a$$ out of yourself over and over and over......

It's entertaining for a very short time but gets painful after a while.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Doesn't Ivan suggest 1600 rpm idle with his reflash / map IIRC ?
He recommends 1300 rpm. Still seems a bit high to me but I've left it there.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I set mine at 2500rpm... but not everyday...

·
Banned
4,318 Posts

Another post from a Knuckle head who cries when I "Pick on Him"...lol

You have never even ridden one of these bikes? You have NO idea what you are talking about. Your biggest failure is not being able to see that there are things you do not know and cannot understand.

Do you realize that Squid road raced motorcycles and has quite the idea how to ride? lol

Reactions: HilbillyKat

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Another post from a Knuckle head who cries when I "Pick on Him"...lol

You have never even ridden one of these bikes? You have NO idea what you are talking about. Your biggest failure is not being able to see that there are things you do not know and cannot understand.

Do you realize that Squid road raced motorcycles and has quite the idea how to ride? lol
I couldn't have said it better myself. Easy....face it bud..you just are not the end all beat all expert on everything concerning motorcycles. The sooner you come to grasp with that..the better.....for all of us.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So ussknf, have you solved the problem? Is it any better? Have any of the suggestions posted here been helpful?

A little bit of feedback will help the next person who may suffer the same concern that you have.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts