RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Ninja 1000 owner here looking for the most comfortable replacement seat.
I notice Kawasaki offers a GEL seat for $299, anyone have experience with this seat or another for the N1k? I know there are choices.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I have a Sargent seat and really like it. I ride the bike 300 plus miles every Saturday and seating comfort is not an issue with the Sargent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I second the Sargent seat. I just returned from a week in Colorado, we averaged over 350 miles a day for six days. The long day was 460 miles. I was not near as fatigued as I thought I would be. I took my ZRX1200 out to CO last year, also with a Sargent seat. In comparison, I can hang longer in the saddle with the N1K vs. the ZRX.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My butt was hurting after about 100 miles on the stock seat. I also picked up a Sargent seat and now long days in the saddle are no problem. Well worth the money. I also had a Sargent on my VFR and it was all day comfy.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Candy-a$$e$... I rode all day, every day for week up in the mountains of NC/TN on the stock N1K seat and was never uncomfortable in the saddle. I do wear bicycle shorts with the gel padding, but I think the seat is very comfortable after breaking it in... Man-up! :D

Reactions: desertrat67

·
Registered
571 Posts
Candy-a$$e$... I rode all day, every day for week up in the mountains of NC/TN on the stock N1K seat and was never uncomfortable in the saddle. I do wear bicycle shorts with the gel padding, but I think the seat is very comfortable after breaking it in... Man-up! :D
I tried, but my backside and the stock seat just did not want a long term relationship. I did talk with another Ninja 1000 owner who rode from Ohio to the Rocky Mountains and back on the stock seat with no issues.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
I did nto especially mind the stock seat, but it kept crushing my junk into the tank. Not that theres a lot to crush, but its all I got.

The sargent does not do this so much, an dis far nicer for longer distances.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had my seat re-done by an upholsterer. He took out about 1/2 inch of the original foam and replaced that with 1 inch of Dunlop 'Enduro' foam. I can do a week of back-to-back 700km days and not feel sore.Best $50 I've spent on the bike so far and the seat still looks stock standard!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have both the Kawasaki gel seat and the Sargent seat. The gel seat fits like the stock seat, but it's cushier. The Sargent has a more rearward seating position, which I like - especially when riding solo. It feels rather thinly padded. Despite that, it has never become unbearable on long rides, but I do wish it had more padding. The best thing about the gel seat is it comes with a much better passenger seat that has Ninja embossed on the forward side. It is in a carbon patter that matches the Sargent very well. My wife really appreciates the improved comfort of the gel passenger seat.

·
Registered
609 Posts
sargent - definitely (compared to stock - i've never tried the corbin or gel oem seat)

·
Registered
72 Posts
It takes a 500 hundred miles but the stock seat will break in just fine. It is stiff at first.

·
Registered
242 Posts
+1 for the Sargent seat

·
Registered
270 Posts
i returned the sargent seat and bought a oem gel and love it. price should only be $230-$240 from a good dealer, or this link that was provided by user: Indy N1K a few months ago.

OEM Parts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Less than 3, I'd say. I can stick it on the scales when I get home if you'd like.
Sorry, let me rephrase my smart *** question. :)

They used to use a very heavy black seat base material that weighed around 4 times what the stock seat weighed. Does yours use that heavy black seat base material? Or have they finally gone to a lighter plastic material like the Sargent and stock seats use?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yep, the Corbin I had for my ST1100 weighed a ton!

The Russell Day-Long I had for it was built on a stock seat pan and was awesome long haul ..... 1360 miles in one sitting during an Iron Butt ride was no problem, for my arse anyway :2far: Its not a "sporty" seat though and I'd not get one for a N1K unless I was going to make a LD bike out of it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts