RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So i have made a similar post regarding this but it is a little different. So basically i have a 2011 ninja 1000(z1000sx) and my abs light is staying on and i am not sure why. Now i have read a few forum posts regarding this and they came up with the abs sensor coming loose due to it being mounted on the tripple and over time grts tugged too much. Now these forums seem to suggest their abs light stays on consistantly, however mine come on at everything over 40kph they when i come go below it, the light tends to turn back off. Also if i ride for a long period of time, particularly at 100kph, the light will turn off for a while, then also at other times it will not come on at all, i dont get it. Also from what i have heard, when the abs light comes on, it cant turn off without either restarting the bike or popping neautral to reset the abs. So i am not aure why it seems to be able to go on and off spontaneously? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would start with the easy stuff..... Loose, intermittent connection at triple clamp plug and wheel sensor gaps.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey guys,

So i have made a similar post regarding this but it is a little different. So basically i have a 2011 ninja 1000(z1000sx) and my abs light is staying on and i am not sure why. Now i have read a few forum posts regarding this and they came up with the abs sensor coming loose due to it being mounted on the tripple and over time grts tugged too much. Now these forums seem to suggest their abs light stays on consistantly, however mine come on at everything over 40kph they when i come go below it, the light tends to turn back off. Also if i ride for a long period of time, particularly at 100kph, the light will turn off for a while, then also at other times it will not come on at all, i dont get it. Also from what i have heard, when the abs light comes on, it cant turn off without either restarting the bike or popping neautral to reset the abs. So i am not aure why it seems to be able to go on and off spontaneously? Any ideas?

So I'll assume you read how I tested mine by turning the bars after starting and stopping , in effect resetting the light as opposed to the book procedure. And you have jiggled that sensor in the triple area. Then, as Crispy suggested, check the wheel sensors F&R for irregularities including dirt/obstruction/fit. Have you done "Anything" in the wheel (s) area? What was the last thing you did or had done to the bike?

+ Nothing wrong with the book procedure reset but I found that once it reestablishes contact after shut down, the ECU resets the light (after the normal 3 MPH roll). Am I understanding that it will come on and go off on the fly? That would make me think it's a wheel sensor, again as Crispy mentioned, Occam's razor is the best course.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Do you have a service manual? If not, get one. The manual shows exactly how to read the codes and it just might point to the exact problem.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sorry, wasn't paying attention...this is about ABS which aren't in these service codes. NEVERMIND...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Kenors, the codes are so cool, and so involved, it makes you want the abs bike.

This is for the 2014 z 100, but might be of help?

http://www.geersgonewild.com/z1000/Manuals/2014-2015-Z1000.pdf
Yep, good RC! If there's one in the 14 manual that you want to double check with the 3rd gen I could help with that, among others. I looked for an online pdf 3rd gen manual some time back and didn't see one; I also have the hard copy.

The shop manual is always the first thing I buy after a new purchase. These codes are at least a good starting point (if the light stays on) if not an end, but like all the code stuff you may have to

chase the rabbit in addition, but that's there too and for what's not you're in a good place. Hang in there :) . I think I got one of the last free 3rd gen pdf's, anybody found otherwise?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sorry, wasn't paying attention...this is about ABS which aren't in these service codes. NEVERMIND...
I "Liked" you, because humility and honesty are what to admire.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I "Liked" you, because humility and honesty are what to admire.
Thanks, I've never been thanked for making mistakes before! To explain, I copied the DFI code section out of my 2012 shop manual and posted the pages. 30 seconds later realized the discussion was about ABS codes.

rcannon409 - thanks VERY much for the 2014 service manual in electronic form. I couldn't find it anywhere. I now have a 2014 ABS N1k (remember, wrecked the 2011) and even though I bought the paper version I wanted the electronic form as well.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I wonder if the abs system is the same between the 13 and 14? You know what else is crazy is that the UK magazine had a long term 2014 z 1000. That bike does not have traction control. As fast bikes did their ecu reflash, they found all the code for the traction control system in its ecu.

Kawasaki could have equipped that bike, with tc, for the cost of wire and few sensors.

That abs systems coded appeared to cover every component in the system based on the number of flashes of the abs light.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just for curiosity sake there are a couple of differences in the ABS code charts and the pumps for the 2012 N1K, 2014 N1K and 2014 Z1000 have the last four part numbers changed, with the new

pumps mounted facing differently than the 2012. I don't have access to the 2014 N1K manual so it's a guess that it's the same as the Z1000 here.

2012 N1K 2012-N1K.jpg 2014 Z1000 2014-15-Z1000.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts