RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to start this thread and update it as I get to know the new 2009 650R. With the loss of the EX500 and ZZR 600 the 650R is the most likely upgrade for many of the new 250R owners, plus I've read sevral questions regarding this upgrade.

I'd bought my 2008 250R sight unseen back in 2007, after seeing how cool the bike looked at the Long Beach bike show. Put $500 down and waited 3 long months. I rode it year round, with no more than maybe a week off the bike (for travel or rainy weather). Manage to get almost 8,000 miles on it in just over 2 years, when I sold it in March of this year. Took a few short trips but mostly it was an alternative to driving my Shelby (and its 14 mpg).

There are so many things about it that I miss, but the new 650 has some qualities that (hopefully) will overcome the loss of the little Ninja.

Today's post will cover one of my biggest gripes about the 650 - the loss of the cool little storage space under the separate rear seat.
I do mostly urban riding and so took out the tool kit and had a good amount of storage space in there. But what really worked was the fact that it was a separate seat. So I could put my gym bag down on the rider's seat (which I upgraded to a Corbin seat), remove the rear seat and store my disk lock and helmet bag inside. The helmet hooks were so much better than the new cable system. Easier and faster to just slip the helmet's buckle over a hook than to have to thread a cable through it.
But the main issue is the whole seat and the 650 has the lock underneath the seat, which is not nearly as easy to access. Plus you can't have anything on the seat when you remove it. But for me the most difficult part is getting the darn seat back on! It just won't line up right the first time and it takes me several attempts to get it fully closed. While the 250 can have its issues closing, it is very easy to deal with. I did manage to drive off once with it not fully closed!

·
Registered
540 Posts
seriously? your only gripe is storage space? in the "sportbike" manufacturers world that doesn't seem to be an issue for concern

i'd count your blessings and move on..

be glad you have a banana seat. you've ridden with a SS I assume.. ask them to lift their rear seat.

lol..

·
Registered
586 Posts
the seat is really not that hard to get back on at all...

align tab with tank, push seat forward, push down. easy peasy

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yea the 650 doesn't really have that much storage but at least it has some, my old Ninja 500 had NONE!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just get a tail bag. I have got this one currently: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_CAR022_G - It's not a huge bag, but can be unzipped and expanded to the point of holding my helmet if I need to. When it's in the zipped up compact form, it does a good job of making my "banana seat" look disappear almost entirely.

The only problem I had with the bag was the shape of the tail and lack of place to tie it to. My version of the 650r didn't come with the nice passenger bars (just had the holes plugged with the "650r" plastic pieces), so I went back and got a pair from the dealer. Thankfully he had some there for an ER-6n that fit/matched perfectly. My bag ties onto these very well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
even easier - get an 8 dollar bungie mesh cord. Put whatever you want on the back and if you haven't removed your tail kit, theres even nice little metal extensions to clip the bungie to. I carry a folded jacket and a helmet for a passenger this way. never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The seat issue is just the first of many differences I'll be discussing between the 2 bikes. It obviously wasn't a deal breaker as I bought the bike!
I have a great tail bag but would never leave it on my bike with my helmet in it. Here in the city they'll steal anything not locked up.

Anyway, I can report that the stock seat on the 650 is much more comfortable than the stock 250 seat. I rode about 45 miles home from the dealership and didn't feel like I needed to place an order with Corbin as soon as I got home, like I did after my first long ride on the new 250. I also imagine its seat would be more comfortable to a passenger than the little one on the 250.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Did Kawi get rid or the 500? It seems like every year people are saying that it's the last year. They made one in '09.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once again- bags can't be left with the bike! Having on board, easy to access, secure storage is an everyday convenience to most of us who use our bikes for commuting. Obviously some of the wiseguys posting have never rode their bike to a concert or someplace where they don't want to have to haul around a tank or tail bag all night!

This is not a thread for complaints. I am merely discussing the pros and cons of the 2 bikes based on my experience and hopefully anyone else who has owned both bikes. And there are plenty of differences to cover. I won't be able to do them all at once. Just thought that I could get these comparisons down on one thread.

·
Registered
540 Posts
still man, you gotta pic a better issue/topic then that.. lol. :killingme

I ride with guys that have found pretty unique ways to secure their bags. There tied down and would take a while to be untied from the bike. The bag itself has an outer and inner part. Both have one of those wire locks on it. Regular lock with a metal wire going around the rim of the bag.

if its cash, phones, wallet - the banana seat is even harder to get to.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If u wanted more storage built inside the bike you should have opted for a Scooter like the Suzuki Burgman 650. It has plenty of space under the seat.

Motorcycles aren't made to have storage built inside of them. Its always been that way. You add your own tank bag, hard case, saddle bags, etc.

If you go to a dealer and tell him that so and so bike has no storage inside he will look at you and tell you to get a hard tail case or tank bag. If that is still not good he will point your way to a scooter.

·
Registered
540 Posts
the equivalent of: " my honda civic doesn't generate enough lift in the crosswinds"

:killingme

were just teasin' ya man. don't take it personal.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today I filled up the new 650R again and noticed my mpg matched the mpg from my last fillup. Both were about 39.5 mpg.
My 250 had been getting an average of about 49 mpg, so that's a noticeable drop. Almost 20%.
But the cool thing is that I feel I have many times that in power! The bigger bike feels like maybe 3 times more power. Not a bad gain for only a 20% loss in MPG. Of course I feel it could use a bigger gas tank, as I am having to fill up at around 140 miles. 250 wouldn't be an issue until about 170 miles, but then it didn't have a blinking "Low Fuel" LCD flashing.
It's so nice to be able to twist the throttle and be able to pass on the freeway, and not have to downshift one or 2 gears and get the revs way up like on the 250.
Neither bike has what I would call an accurate fuel guage but I do prefer the analog to the digital one.

·
Registered
806 Posts
39.5mpg??? are you still breaking the bike in?
Mine is all broken in and I'm getting an avg. or 45mpg. More like 47 on the highway.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I calculated about 48mpg average.

make sure you calculate the last gallon of gas in the tank. I used to make the mistake of not taking that into consideration and always left me scratching my head.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts